cruise

griffster

hi

we had our first cruise in January on ventura to the canaries, now we are looking at one next year to the Caribbean.has anyone got any good tips for me, ref, sail from southamton or fly?. has anyone got any ref to cabins on azura etc. thanks. lynn

hi

We had our first cruise in January on Ventura to the canaries, now we are looking at one next year to the Caribbean.has anyone got any good tips for me, ref, sail from Southamton or fly?. has anyone got any ref to cabins on azura etc. thanks. lynn

Most fly both ways, alternatively you can fly there or back and go roughly November or March respectively. Flying out with sailing home rather than vice versa is better in my opinion.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

hi

we had our first cruise in January on ventura to the canaries, now we are looking at one next year to the Caribbean.has anyone got any good tips for me, ref, sail from southamton or fly?. has anyone got any ref to cabins on azura etc. thanks. lynn

We have done the sailing both ways. If you have the time to do this, it gives you some sort of perspective as to how big the world is. Flying yes you get there quicker ,but you are not travelling slowly.

Slight disappointment was we saw no real wildlife either way..dolphins, whales, mythical sea creatures.

Also there was no special entertainment put on, no special, special speakers.

I guess you have to like making your own entertainment to think about doing this.

One bonus is ofcourse you have no weight restrictions. loads and loads of cases and no worries.

Entirely up to you .

Whether you went port/starboard, well sailing both ways if you don't get the sun one way, you would get it the other (we had the sun coming back ,and it was lovely). If you were flying one way you would need to work out which side to book on the ship to get the sun. If you flew both ways not a problem.

Not been on Azura ,so cannot tell you about the ship, but thought I would just some prespective on sailing both ways-age demographic might be slightly older as well doing the sail, as younger people probably cannot afford that sort of time off work.

Azura is effectively the same ship as Ventura as far as cabins are concerned. Main difference is that Ventura has the covered pool, whereas Azura has a sea screen.

Can't help with whether to do fly cruise or not as I dont do flying! There are usually a couple of round trips each season on one or two of the ships - havent checked next years itineraries yet.

If you don't mind whether you fly or do the TA either one way (usually the relocations beginning or end of the season) or both ways, I'd make the decision based on the number of islands visited and on the itinerary. We love the Caribbean and in the middle of winter spending as much of our holiday in the warmth is a big draw for us. We have done TAs and enjoy them but for a Caribbean holiday would prefer to fly both ways.

I have flown to the caribbean and also a 24 night caribbean transatlantic from southampton. Crossing the atlantic takes about 5 days but there should be a port call at the Azores. Flying takes several hours but if your flight is a charter with Thomson Airways you will likely have a Dreamliner :) charters are better than scheduled flights as your cases go direct from the plane to your cabin. On a scheduled flight you will have to collect them from baggage claim etc.

We are also thinking of doing a Carribean Cruise next spring but will probably fly out to join Britannia and sail back to Southampton.(I am a very nervous flyer and have never flown this far before)Is it worth the money to pay for an ugrade on the flight? How soon do the seats go on sail? Also, any must does/sees for the Carribean ports?:)

Ann:)

hi

I think the choice between fly-cruise and sailing to and from Southampton is very much a matter of personal preference, so others can't really advise you. However the distance to/from the Caribbean means that there aren't that many cruises on offer where no flying is involved.