Emerald Waterways Information?

ValinBaddeck

We just booked our first cruise on Emerald Waterway's Rhine-Main Discovery Tour. Have any of you sailed with them? Could you share some information about your experience, and especially about what their stops are like? We stop in Cologne, Rudesheim, Miltenberg, Wurzburg, Bamberg, and Nuremberg. Thanks in advance!

We enjoyed every stop on our Amsterdam to Budapest tour which included the places you mention. At each stop, there was a 1-2 hr walking tour of the old section of the cities where along the route the important highlights were pointed out as well a brief history of each place was provided. At the end of each tour, there was time to wander around on our own. We found the tours were well organized and long enough. The tour operators were knowledgeable and the walking was not too much for us (reasonably fit 60's). The tour operators work with headsets so everyone can hear. It would be difficult to walk in some of these places if a person had mobility problems due to the steep streets and cobblestones. At all but the ports in Nuremberg and Bamberg we were able to make our way to and from the boat on foot. The port in Nuremberg was in a more industrial area and at least 20 minutes away from the old city by bus. In Bamberg, I believe we had to take a bus from the port to cross the river to get to the old city.

The extra excursions were outlined in our package and we were able to book on board. I do not recall if we had the opportunity to book prior to trip departure. It seemed that everyone who wanted to go were able to be included in the extra excursions. However, we booked only one extra excursion as we found the included excursions to be just enough for us, having never been to any of the places on this trip.

I think you will find Emerald to be very comparable to other cruise companies based on what I have read on Cruise Critic, and what I learned from many people I know who have been on river cruises with AMA, Viking, Uniworld, Avalon, Scenic. One thing I liked about Emerald was that the gratuities were included and as well, we were able to buy a very reasonably priced drink package to cover mid afternoons or after dinner evenings in the lounge. The drink package made it so much easier than having to sign off on every drink we ordered outside of lunch and dinner. The trip included wine and beer at lunch and dinner, and the wait staff would not let your glass stay empty for long.

We're sailing on the Emerald Sun in July, 2016 Classic Prague and Danube Delights & booked through a ta. Will I be notified of booking optional tours in advance of the cruise, must I request the choice with my ta or do I just wait & book the tours when we are on the ship? Thanks

Last May on Emerald Sun (Amsterdam to Budapest), a lot of people booked their extra excursions during the trip itself and we did not hear of any problems with space availability. Bear in mind that when we went with Emerald last year it was the start of their 2nd year of operation, so one could reasonably expect that some routines such as booking excursions could change as they go through the learning curve.

One thing I liked about Emerald was that the gratuities were included and as well, we were able to buy a very reasonably priced drink package to cover mid afternoons or after dinner evenings in the lounge. The drink package made it so much easier than having to sign off on every drink we ordered outside of lunch and dinner. The trip included wine and beer at lunch and dinner, and the wait staff would not let your glass stay empty for long.

Thanks for your comments on your Emerald Cruise. We'll be on it doing the Rhine (Amsterdam-Basel) on September 3rd. Quick question - what was the cost of the drink package? And while this may be a bit too detailed of a question, do you know if they served Bailey's Irish Crème (or a similar Irish Crème?) I've got a bit of a Bailey's habit and am wondering whether I should just bring my own or if its stocked on the boat.

Thanks!

Liz

Hello,

just to jump in here about the Bailey's: that drink is quite popular among Germans (mostly ladies). You are likely to get it duty-free in an European airport or in a shopping mall or even in a local (biggish and not so much the discounted own brand one's) supermarket. Potentially cheaper than in the US.

notamermaid

Hello,

just to jump in here about the Bailey's: that drink is quite popular among Germans (mostly ladies). You are likely to get it duty-free in an European airport or in a shopping mall or even in a local (biggish and not so much the discounted own brand one's) supermarket. Potentially cheaper than in the US.

notamermaid

Wunderbar!! I loathe the idea of schlepping a bottle in my suitcase and taking up valuable space, so I'll happily shop for a bottle upon arrival in Amsterdam. We're doing a few days there prior to embarkation, so I shouldn't have any troubles with time constraints. Thanks Notamermaid...

Thanks for your comments on your Emerald Cruise. We'll be on it doing the Rhine (Amsterdam-Basel) on September 3rd. Quick question - what was the cost of the drink package? And while this may be a bit too detailed of a question' date=' do you know if they served Bailey's Irish Crème (or a similar Irish Crème?) I've got a bit of a Bailey's habit and am wondering whether I should just bring my own or if its stocked on the boat.

Thanks!

Liz[/quote']

We bought the Beer/Wine package because we don't usually drink hard liquor during afternoons and the price was 9 euros/day/person. This was the equivalent pricing of 3 beers/wine. We felt it so much easier to have the package. Every day of the cruise is different with respect to the amount of time you spend on board. We felt we broke even with this package which was fine with us. There were other drink packages which included a variety of drinks and these packages were more expensive. I don't recall Baileys but the bar was fairly inclusive so I am sure they would stock this type or equivalent.

Edited by Pywacket15

Last May on Emerald Sun (Amsterdam to Budapest), a lot of people booked their extra excursions during the trip itself and we did not hear of any problems with space availability. Bear in mind that when we went with Emerald last year it was the start of their 2nd year of operation, so one could reasonably expect that some routines such as booking excursions could change as they go through the learning curve.

Thanks for the information. About 3 months and counting until the cruise.

We're sailing on the Emerald Sun in July, 2016 Classic Prague and Danube Delights & booked through a ta. Will I be notified of booking optional tours in advance of the cruise, must I request the choice with my ta or do I just wait & book the tours when we are on the ship? Thanks

We booked the same itinerary last September (for our Bud-Prague trip, coming up in 5 weeks), and optional excursions were available for booking at that time. Surprised your TA didn't forward info on them to you at booking time.