First timer for Europe- Euro's questions.

HawkIVette

I don't think there are any right or wrong answers (except taking USD and going to a money exchange :eek: ). Everyone has to do their due diligence and then decide what will work best for them. My family saves up to pay for vacation so we have to set a budget for daily spending and we don't like to put any of it on credit. For us, using the local ATM to get currency and paying cash to stay within our budget is what works.

I do have Bank of America and I research where the ATM locations for the reciprocal banks are located and take that with me. I also look at the airport website to locate the ATM's to get our first bit of money. These ATM's have never been with the reciprocal bank so I factor in the $5 fee.

A trip like this requires the traveler to do a lot more homework and research. If you put in the time before you will have a much smoother experience.

Whatever anyone chooses to do on their 1st trip they will probably make mistakes and that will help them in the future!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all the great advice. I will be using an ATM once I arrive in Athens. I plan to only withdraw enough for extra expenses such as tips n small souvenirs. I will be using my capital one credit card where available.

My question is the following: Because I want to tip my driver on my pre-paid transfer from the airport to hotel and for just-in-case cash, do you suggest I get a small amount of euros from my bank or do I just use an atm at the airport? From reading these posts, it appears that both options carry extra fees. If I understand correctly, the ATMs at the airport tag along fees that other ATMs don't?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you for all the great advice. I will be using an ATM once I arrive in Athens. I plan to only withdraw enough for extra expenses such as tips n small souvenirs. I will be using my capital one credit card where available.

My question is the following: Because I want to tip my driver on my pre-paid transfer from the airport to hotel and for just-in-case cash, do you suggest I get a small amount of euros from my bank or do I just use an atm at the airport? From reading these posts, it appears that both options carry extra fees. If I understand correctly, the ATMs at the airport tag along fees that other ATMs don't?

Just use the airport ATM. The only fee you will pay will be what your bank charges to use an out of network ATM plus up to 3% conversion fee. Check with your bank on their exact charges (BofA is at the full 3% and $5, your bank may be less). Other than that you will get the best exchange rate

Just use the airport ATM. The only fee you will pay will be what your bank charges to use an out of network ATM plus up to 3% conversion fee. Check with your bank on their exact charges (BofA is at the full 3% and $5, your bank may be less). Other than that you will get the best exchange rate

Not always the case.

Here in Europe, a lot of cash machines (Or ATM's as you call them) are independant and charge a fee to use, usually between €2-3, It will always tell you on the front screen if there is a charge.

Try and use ATM's belonging to a bank.

Not always the case.

Here in Europe, a lot of cash machines (Or ATM's as you call them) are independant and charge a fee to use, usually between €2-3, It will always tell you on the front screen if there is a charge.

Try and use ATM's belonging to a bank.

I hope this isn't a dumb question but how will I know if I'm in front of an independent cash machine vs a cash machine belonging to a bank?

I hope this isn't a dumb question but how will I know if I'm in front of an independent cash machine vs a cash machine belonging to a bank?

Looks like they have actual bank sponsored ATM's. I always check the airport website for location information of the ATM that will be closes to my arrival.

https://www.aia.gr/traveler/airport-information/bank-and-post/

I went to my bank today to give them information about our upcoming cruise this week. They told me that due to so much fraud recently, we can only withdraw $80.00 dollars worth of foreign currency daily from an ATM, not the $300.00 we had expected.

We did get our euros through Well Fargo two weeks ago. Usually, we wait until we arrive and use an ATM to get local currency.

My bank is a small hometown bank. Yours is probably different; however, it would not hurt to check.

Bobbie

I went to my bank today to give them information about our upcoming cruise this week. They told me that due to so much fraud recently, we can only withdraw $80.00 dollars worth of foreign currency daily from an ATM, not the $300.00 we had expected.

We did get our euros through Well Fargo two weeks ago. Usually, we wait until we arrive and use an ATM to get local currency.

My bank is a small hometown bank. Yours is probably different; however, it would not hurt to check.

Bobbie

Ohhhhhh..... Now that's definitely something to look into. Thanks for that update.

Thank you so much for this link. Great info here.

One bit of info I found very interesting was this below.

Visa and MasterCard, the most widely accepted credit card networks worldwide, offer the best exchange rates, according to an Exchange Rate Study by CardHub.com. The study not only found that no international fee credit cards on the Visa and MasterCard networks serve as the best tools for spending money abroad, but also that they save international travelers an average of 7.9% relative to major banks and 14.7% as compared to an airport service on U.S. dollar-to-Euro exchanges. Even if one uses a credit card with the maximum 3% foreign transaction fee, he or she will still save 4.9% and 11.7% as compared to banks and airport companies, respectively.

no international fee credit cards on the Visa and MasterCard is what we swear by. Having said that, we have had problems with credit cards in Athens many times. We usually use cash in most of Greece, but we had no problems using credit in Venice or other parts of Europe.

We always get our euros at our bank before our trip and if we have a lot , haha, left over then our bank will buy them back. Don't get them at the airport because the rate is usually higher. Also don't use a debit card try and use a credit card but notify your card holder where you are going, unlike me on our first trip to Italy and my card wouldn't work. I was embarrassed but luckily my husband had his.

Not a dumb question at all. Before you put the card in the machine, it will tell you "This machine will charge X amount for a cash withdrawal" if its independant. If it's a bank one it will say FREE on it :)

Not a dumb question at all. Before you put the card in the machine, it will tell you "This machine will charge X amount for a cash withdrawal" if its independant. If it's a bank one it will say FREE on it :)

Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

Now that she's up and sailing I wanted to inquire if I would be able to exchange large euro for smaller denominations aboard Vista? I know the ship operates on US $'s but wondering about the above. We'll have euro before we board albeit some will be large bill. TIA:)

Let me shed some light....my wife likes to buy nice jewelry. Not from cruise line associated places like Diamonds International, etc, but from independent shops. And she is good at negotiating (haggling) with the shopkeeper.

These shops will take MC/VISA, but when my wife is done negotiating for her items there are always two prices.

Cash price.

MC/VISA price.

This is true in the Caribbean, Rome, Istanbul, Marmaris, Venice, etc, etc.

Guess which one gives her better value?

Indeed. I concur with your findings. On my trip a few weeks ago, I took about €1200 in cash and had $2500 loaded on to a Euro cash card... Which works the same as a debit card but you can't go overdrawn.

When buying from shops, virtually everywhere wanted cash and offered a better price for doing so. Luckily, these cards can use ATM machines at a charge. (About €2 per transaction.) Not sure how much you can draw at any one time.

These cards are common in the UK (search fairfx and icefx as 2 examples), but it's another option to consider. Especially if the exchange rate peeks. I bought mine when it was just over €1.40 to the £. I then panicked when the pound was in free fall, and bought the cash I took at €1.24 same happened for buying $ for a dollar card. I didn't buy when it was $1.60 and ended up at $1.38 as I was fearing the worst. It's bounced back a bit now, which is just as well as I need more!

Don't bank on it.

In Budapest last year I got hit with charges I wasn't aware of and an awful exchange rate when withdrawing Florints. (Long story but the place we were staying wanted paying in € and I couldn't use my euro charge card to withdraw euros.... So lost out on that!)

But anyway, they all don't tell you... Or at least the one I found didn't!

Bobbie

Got me checking to see what mine is for the charge card I mentioned above.

Seems the limit is €750 per day and the transaction charge using an ATM is between €1 and $2

Indeed. I concur with your findings. On my trip a few weeks ago, I took about €1200 in cash and had $2500 loaded on to a Euro cash card... Which works the same as a debit card but you can't go overdrawn.

When buying from shops, virtually everywhere wanted cash and offered a better price for doing so. Luckily, these cards can use ATM machines at a charge. (About €2 per transaction.) Not sure how much you can draw at any one time.

These cards are common in the UK (search fairfx and icefx as 2 examples), but it's another option to consider. Especially if the exchange rate peeks. I bought mine when it was just over €1.40 to the £. I then panicked when the pound was in free fall, and bought the cash I took at €1.24 same happened for buying $ for a dollar card. I didn't buy when it was $1.60 and ended up at $1.38 as I was fearing the worst. It's bounced back a bit now, which is just as well as I need more!

Can you explain the Euro Cash Card a bit more? I like this idea but where would I go about getting one/loading it?

Can you explain the Euro Cash Card a bit more? I like this idea but where would I go about getting one/loading it?

See https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/find-card-products/prepaid-cards/travel-card.html

Or

https://usa.visa.com/pay-with-visa/cards/prepaid-cards/travel-money-card.html

Just as a general point of reference, I checked with my bank today about getting foreign currency in advance and from an ATM.

I ordered 500 Euro (to have in advance) for a total cost of $617.45. That was at an exchange rate of 1.1909 plus a 'customer fee' of $22 which seems to cover overnight shipping. The teller said the fee would not increase no matter how much I ordered unless I went down to a small amount (like under $100) and then the fee would go up to $30. Didn't ask the reasoning behind that.

As for my ATM card, we have a limit of $510 per day here in the States and that carries over to Europe (or anywhere) as well. My bank adds no transaction fees for getting cash from a foreign ATM.

I also have a credit card I can use to get cash, but it will charge me 5% or $10 per transaction, whichever is higher.

Obviously, these numbers are for my specific bank and credit card, so YMMV.

Just as a general point of reference, I checked with my bank today about getting foreign currency in advance and from an ATM.

I ordered 500 Euro (to have in advance) for a total cost of $617.45. That was at an exchange rate of 1.1909 plus a 'customer fee' of $22 which seems to cover overnight shipping. The teller said the fee would not increase no matter how much I ordered unless I went down to a small amount (like under $100) and then the fee would go up to $30. Didn't ask the reasoning behind that.

As for my ATM card, we have a limit of $510 per day here in the States and that carries over to Europe (or anywhere) as well. My bank adds no transaction fees for getting cash from a foreign ATM.

I also have a credit card I can use to get cash, but it will charge me 5% or $10 per transaction, whichever is higher.

Obviously, these numbers are for my specific bank and credit card, so YMMV.

If you don't mind me asking.... Who do you bank with?