Considering Carnival

mintypixie

Hi, As the Vista is going to be in Europe I am considering cruising on her. So far I have done 1 cruise on MSC's Melody (which despite being an absolute disaster gave me a love of cruising.) and 2 with RCCL (including a TA on the Allure which was in my top 3 most amazing holidays). My partner is slightly reticent as he wants to stay with Royal and get loyalty perks. Whereas I think loyalty for something like holidays comes at a high price. I would rather have 3 cruise all on different lines than 2 with the same cruise line and get a 2-4-1 drinks voucher.

So here are my questions?

How is Carnival different to other cruise lines? I know they have a reputation as a party cruise line, whereas MSC is more middle class oldie line and RCCL is more family oriented. What else sets them apart.

Drinks packages? My google research told me there is an alcohol package at $49 a day, which my hubby would love, and a bottomless soda package. I don't drink for medical reason but do enjoy virgin cocktails, and coffees is there a non alcohol package that includes this. Also is there a way around buying 2 alcohol packages for the cabin (i.e. providing a doctors note).

Promotions (in the UK)? I managed to get a great deal on my TA where a drinks package, OBC and gratuities were included. What sort of promotions should I look out for in the UK?

I wouldn't say Carnival is a "party line" at all, it kind of gets that reputation from the snobby RCCL sailors who will only sail RCCL. Sure a lot of the shorter cruises especially around Spring Breaks are more lively, but it's not like there is just drunk college kids running rampant around the ships 365 days a year. That being said I've had a lot more fun on Carnival cruises than I have my 1 RCCL.

What sets them apart is price, you'll see Carnival come in much cheaper than RCCL does. RCCL has nicer ships for sure, but the service and food is the same. But you will be sailing the Vista which has all the bells and whistles one could ask for.

Drink package actually comes out to $57 a day if you buy it before $62 while on board, since they make you pay gratuities/tips up front. It is a really good deal if your a drinker, unfortunately this is where Carnival falls behind RCCL since BOTH people in each cabin have to purchase Cheers, unlike on RCCL where only those who want a package have to buy it. Cheers also includes unlimited water, sodas, sports drinks, and specialty coffees. Some have found ways to get around it by having a doctors note or being pregnant, some have gotten stuck having to buy both.

Don't hold your breath for a great promo on Carnival, the best they do is reduced deposits and some OBC. I've never seen them include the drink package and gratuities like other lines do, but this is also why Carnival comes in cheaper. If your comfortable with the price book it and be done, enjoy the Vista!

Edited by RHilla619

I wouldn't say Carnival is a "party line" at all, it kind of gets that reputation from the snobby RCCL sailors who will only sail RCCL.

I didn't mean it in a derogatory way just that it Carnival is considered a more laid back line compared to P&O etc. To be honest it is what we want as we are both in our 30's.

The cheers drink package needs purchased by anyone over 21 in the room. It does include coffees, milk shakes, etc, but if you don't drink alcohol it might not be worth it for you.

We have only cruised carnival so I can't give an opinion. I do plan to venture out when we go to Alaska, probably next cruise.

I didn't mean it in a derogatory way just that it Carnival is considered a more laid back line compared to P&O etc. To be honest it is what we want as we are both in our 30's.

It is more casual. I was surprised on my first Carnival cruise when our room steward addressed me by my first name (Which I prefer) as opposed to Mrs. X, which is what I was use to on Princess. Dress is more casual. They have an Elegant Night as opposed to Formal Night, and if your idea of Elegant isn't the same as someone else no one will be looking down their nose at you.

Carnival gets a bad rap as being full of drunk out-of-control people, which I have never seen. From what I've been reading on the NCL boards, it looks like NCL is going to replace Carnival as having the reputation of a party line.

We have sailed RC (without kids), Disney (with kids), and also Carnival in the past. Last Saturday, we returned from a trip on the Breeze. It was our first time sailing Carnival in several years. Being Spring Break and having young kids, I was a little concerned about the "party atmosphere" that people say Carnival has. It turned out not to be the case at all, and we all really enjoyed the fun activities onboard. The cruise director did a great job getting everyone involved in the activities.

Lots of music, lots of dancing, lots of activities - and a lot of lively fun.

We can't wait to sail again next year!

With the new Cheers program you can get all those drinks you mentioned you liked. Any non-alcoholic beverages are included with the package and they are unlimited. You can have specialty coffees and virgin pina coladas until you explode. Also milk shakes, sodas, Honesty tea, vitamin water, energy drinks, etc. If you have to purchase it, you might as well look at it from the bright side, right?

With the new Cheers program you can get all those drinks you mentioned you liked. Any non-alcoholic beverages are included with the package and they are unlimited. You can have specialty coffees and virgin pina coladas until you explode. Also milk shakes, sodas, Honesty tea, vitamin water, energy drinks, etc. If you have to purchase it, you might as well look at it from the bright side, right?

there is no requirement to purchase cheers and i can't see someone buying 2 cheers packages so that one can get 15 drinks. one would have to drink 10 foofoo drinks a day just to break even and i don't think a beer drinker cold break even.