Wine....to bring or to just buy onboard??

imwithTED

• 10 months later...
When do you pay the corkage fee? I have no problem disclosing our wine as we go through the embarkation process. We'll have at least 4 bottles. Do you pay right there in the terminal?

Yes, corkage fee is handled (they will write you a manual receipt for it) by a table placed in the terminal just after the security screening but the actual charge will be added to your onboard account through one of the restaurants or bars (usually MDR) in the first few days of the cruise.

We cruise next week on Getaway, I just couldn't see the true value in the UBP for us.

We will end up brining on 8 bottles of wine at $120 corkage fee plus the cost of the wine. All in we will have paid $300 for wine. Add in a bucket of beers every day and we are at $550 for alcohol for the trip...About $900 savings over the $1400 UBP.

My wife and I both are airline crew so traveling with the wine isn't an issue for us so that may make it easier.

I have a feeling if I did the UBP and I drank to get my value, I'm not sure I would make it home...

A bucket of beer is now $42 . If I only drank beer and wine the corks and caps package is a lot cheaper than buckets of beer and bringing wine. You will be upset when you get your room tab... Just saying been there done that

Yes, corkage fee is handled (they will write you a manual receipt for it) by a table placed in the terminal just after the security screening but the actual charge will be added to your onboard account through one of the restaurants or bars (usually MDR) in the first few days of the cruise.

Thanks. -Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Used to think the bring your own was way to go. Pain in the tail! Particularly if flying.

Bought four bottle package (net $26.00 per bottle). They stored it, delivered to table, and kept remainder for later. Don't know what I could have bought four bottles for onshore and really didn't care.

Not a wine snob. Wouldn't know the difference between $20.00 and $100.00 bottle, but don't drink a lot of $6-7.00 wine.

Those bottles in IHA wine package are $6 bottles of wine.

We drive, so bring our own, better wine for less money.

If they are still offering Viva Vino packages you may purchase a package for $88 for 4 bottles of wine (plus gratuity). You pick your bottles from the list and they give you chits for the bottles you choose which you then give to any server in any venue to receive your bottle. When I figured it all out we would have saved something like $2 a bottle by bringing our own so we opted for the package. If you search the term you will find the wine list.

Where would that package be? I just looked on MyNCL and only found individual bottles of wine, no packages except for Corks and Caps (would cost DH more per day than he will probably spend on the couple of bottles of wine he'll bring including the corkage fee). (Also found the least expensive wine listed was $25.96 for a bottle of "House Sparkling Wine")

Also, doesn't look like the bottled water prices have dropped on the Pearl yet. 12-pack $33, 6-pack $18, 24-pack $53.

A bucket of beer is now $42 . If I only drank beer and wine the corks and caps package is a lot cheaper than buckets of beer and bringing wine. You will be upset when you get your room tab... Just saying been there done that

I disagree.

Before they started giving away the UBP we always used to use buckets of beer and Viva Vino.

A bottle of wine plus a bucket of beer each per day is less than the cost of corks and caps. Put in a day or two when you don't drink too much, add in any freebies and we have never spent as much as either of the beverage packages cost, even when having an occasional blowout.

Where would that package be? I just looked on MyNCL and only found individual bottles of wine, no packages except for Corks and Caps (would cost DH more per day than he will probably spend on the couple of bottles of wine he'll bring including the corkage fee). (Also found the least expensive wine listed was $25.96 for a bottle of "House Sparkling Wine")

Also, doesn't look like the bottled water prices have dropped on the Pearl yet. 12-pack $33, 6-pack $18, 24-pack $53.

You can't buy Viva Vino in advance, it is only available onboard.

Does anyone know if the Viva Vino package is available on the POA? Can we have the wine delivered to our room? My mom and I would love to sit on our aft balcony at sail away and have a couple glasses of wine. Who knows? My 22yo (currently 20yo) DS might also enjoy some by then too.

I'm pretty sure it is available on the POA.

They usually offer to deliver it to your room. In fact, a few years ago they were quite insistent that they did that. I took it that they had had trouble with people losing the slips.

If they won't deliver it for you then just grab them a bottle at a time, they won't just hand over 6 bottles for you to struggle back to your room with.

I just got back from a cruise on the Getaway. We packed two bottles wine and were fully prepared to pay the corkage fee when we boarded. We told the security guy we had wine and he said nothing. We got our bags and continued the boarding process. We couldn't even find a table to pay the fee as we had seen before. However the security guy made me throw away my empty bottle of water I had, it was ridiculous. But hey I got free wine! We were also the first to board so I'm not sure if the person to pay the fee to hadn't showed up or what.

We also went though security several times while getting on port with bottles full of water and they never said anything. It seems they have relaxed their beverage policy compared to our last cruise.

I just got back from a cruise on the Getaway. We packed two bottles wine and were fully prepared to pay the corkage fee when we boarded. We told the security guy we had wine and he said nothing. We got our bags and continued the boarding process. We couldn't even find a table to pay the fee as we had seen before. However the security guy made me throw away my empty bottle of water I had, it was ridiculous. But hey I got free wine! We were also the first to board so I'm not sure if the person to pay the fee to hadn't showed up or what.

We also went though security several times while getting on port with bottles full of water and they never said anything. It seems they have relaxed their beverage policy compared to our last cruise.

I have taken wine onboard four times, from memory, and have only paid the corkage twice. I was quite open about having the wine, but they just waves me through.

This was a few years ago, so your experience isn't necessarily a relaxation of the policy which has always been fairly weak in my experience

However the security guy made me throw away my empty bottle of water I had, it was ridiculous.

Wait, I know you can't bring full water bottles on anymore but thougth empty ones to fill later would be ok............ have they started cracking down on that? Would be odd thing to see in the FAQ section.:confused:

Wait, I know you can't bring full water bottles on anymore but thougth empty ones to fill later would be ok............ have they started cracking down on that? Would be odd thing to see in the FAQ section.:confused:

It was only the one on the outside of my bag in a mesh pocket. The one we had IN the bag was just fine apparently? :rolleyes: He said no bottles, that is what he was told. I know they were allowed, but it wasn't worth the effort to fight it, it was only a cheap plastic bottle. Defiantly the oddest moment from the cruise.

Save

• 1 month later...