Packing Cubes or Compression Bags

acoralm

I bought some compression bags, discarded them before use. Too bulky and heavy for my taste. I use ziplock or hefty one gallon and two gallon freezer storage bags. The two gallon size holds 3-4 shirts nicely. I usually wind up with 1-2 bags of shirts, one smaller bag of underwear and socks, another for misc swimwear, one for shoes, one bag of back-up toiletries & asprin etc. if my bag is opened by TSA, easy-peasy for them to look at the contents without opening the individual bags, easy also to get everything back in the bag. Slacks, jacket I don't try to compress.

I'm leaning towards a compression bag for thicker items, like my one pair of jeans and jean shorts, and maybe some packing cubes for the smaller things.

I own and have tried "all of the above". Like GottaKnowWhen, I have settled on Ziploc bags, including the 3 gallon "BigBags" that I had to order from Amazon. Only used them to cross pack an entire module (one pants, two shirts, undies and socks) between DH and my suitcase. 2 gallon are big enough for most things you want to segregate.

Jeans do not compress; just press the excess air out of the zip-bag. The only thing a packing folder might be superior for is the one-night-pre-trip in a motel/hotel room. But you can use a gallon zippy for the same thing. The only thing a compression bag might be best for is polarfleece or down vest. The other thing compression bags are good for is going over-weight!

We travel carry-on only, too. Some airlines are restrictive of weight for carry-ons, some only of size. Be sure to check on your airline's website. And yes, we still cross-pack AND put a change of undies/socks in the personal item as well; you never know when -- despite all intentions -- the airline will separate you from your suitcase.

I just discovered packing cubes and they have made packing so much easier that it is unreal. At least for me and the type of clothes I have packed. The set I have also work well with the type of luggage we have. For $36 on Amazon I got a set of eight in a brand that has already been through multiple trips and still look like new, including the zippers. And they come in multiple colors so it would be easy to identify either multiple types of items or multiple people's belongings.

I used to use compression bags, the ones that all you had to do was roll them to get the air out. The problem wasn't so much that they wrinkled the clothes excessively ... that's what wrinkle release is for ... but that the bags themselves were wrinkled and hard after being compressed. It made for a lot of wasted space in the luggage. And the resulting shape wasn't always convenient for the luggage I was taking.

Where compression bags beat packing cubes is when you have to take a large bulky item like a heavy coat or ski/snow pants. Normally if I need a coat I just carry it on but that isn't always convenient.

Just my experience and I'm sure others will differ.

I have been using the packing cubes and envelopes for over 10 years now and absolutely love them. They keep my clothes organized and pretty much wrinkle free (as long as I am careful when I am folding them). I, too, like to take them directly out of my suitcase and put them in the drawers. I like that they keep my luggage tidy and organized. I use Eagle Creek cubes and envelopes.

My mother tried the compression bags and hated them due to how they wrinkled her clothing. She is now a cube convert.

We just purchased our first set of Eagle Creek cubes and look forward to trying them out on our next trip. I was very impressed by the quality of them. If they work out as we hope they do, we likely will purchase more of them :)

Heather

I just discovered packing cubes and they have made packing so much easier that it is unreal. At least for me and the type of clothes I have packed. The set I have also work well with the type of luggage we have. For $36 on Amazon I got a set of eight in a brand that has already been through multiple trips and still look like new, including the zippers. And they come in multiple colors so it would be easy to identify either multiple types of items or multiple people's belongings.

I used to use compression bags, the ones that all you had to do was roll them to get the air out. The problem wasn't so much that they wrinkled the clothes excessively ... that's what wrinkle release is for ... but that the bags themselves were wrinkled and hard after being compressed. It made for a lot of wasted space in the luggage. And the resulting shape wasn't always convenient for the luggage I was taking.

Where compression bags beat packing cubes is when you have to take a large bulky item like a heavy coat or ski/snow pants. Normally if I need a coat I just carry it on but that isn't always convenient.

Just my experience and I'm sure others will differ.

What's the brand of packing cubes that you purchased on Amazon? Or perhaps you can post a link?

Edited by acoralm

What's the brand of packing cubes that you purchased on Amazon? Or perhaps you can post a link?

The brand is "Baglane" and the set I purchased was a set of 8 for $36.99 in various sizes.

If you put "Baglane" in the amazon search engine you find they have quite a few different variations on the sets, both color and set composition/sizes included. You can buy four of the same size, four of four different sizes, buy 1 large one by itself, 2 XS in a set, etc. And each set tends to come in sufficient colors that you do it anyway you want to. Personally I started out with the 8 pc green set and if I need to add on I can though it would probably be cheaper just to buy another set of 8. Or I'm contemplating getting my husband and each of my kids their own sets in a different color. I tell you they make a great gift (birthday, holiday, whatever) for people who travel regularly. Even my kids who still do summer camp came up with uses for them.

I saved the two large one for my husband's clothes and used the three medium ones for my clothes. I used 1 small and got all of the remaining little odds and ends like my hair bands, nightgown, slippers, and my delicates. Both the handles (wow, that's useful) and the zippers are both sturdy. The netting lets you squish the contents without popping the zipper because of excess air. And I'm not kidding when I say that you get more in there that you think you will. I easily got 15 t-shirts and a skirt and sweater set in one medium bag and all I had to do was fold neatly and I probably could have stuffed one or two more tshirts in there but I didn't need to so didn't.

Here's the set I got:

k2-_93b0383f-e400-4a4c-bebf-a74d3d385788.v1.jpg

Edited by mamkmm2

I love packing cubes and I just needed to add my 2 cents here! I have several different sets of ebags ones (available on Amz as well). I am a bit of an organizational freak and these feed my habit. I like having my clothes organized by type. I like having the smaller ones to coral the smaller things in my life (tech stuff, snacks, etc). I do not feel that they take more room in a suitcase. They make me happy!

They do make compression bags that do not require a vacuum. You just roll them. And your clothes do become more wrinkled this way. And you end up packing too much and might be over the 50lb limit if flying.