Changes to the Ruby Princess post-drydock - with photos

Jasperdo

Actually, both the hamburger and the tri-tip were added to the always available side over three years ago when the medallions were briefly removed and then added back again after passenger outcry.

That large blank space after the burger looks like the space where the Curtis Stone always available items used to be. If I remember other posts, the pork belly and the chicken pot pie were two of those items along with a mahi-mahi dish. I always thought that it would be better to have one rotating Curtis Stone dish on the right side rather than making them the always available items. Hopefully the medallions will return shortly.

I remember the madallions being removed awhile back, because my wife liked them. She was happy to see them back on the Star two years ago. Princess really needs to bring back at least one of those beef dishes to the Always Available menu. The hamburger alone is not enough.

I totally agree that putting a rotating Curtis Stone dish on the right side of the menu is a much better way to go than having them take over the Always Available side. It looks like Princess might be heading in that direction.

Edited by Jasperdo

Thanks for all the info.

Did they serve French Onion Soup in the MDR?

I will miss the Beef Medallions. Hopefully they will return before my next cruise.

Yes, the French Onion Soup was served one evening in the MDR. I don't remember which night it was though. I agree about the medallions. It was my wife's favorite item to order.

We were on the Ruby in March. Loved the new beds.

Removing the always available items like medalions of Beef and Tri tip

was a big disappointment.

First day lunch on board also much abreviated. Only two items to chose from on main course. The wonderful avocado and shrimp appetizer no longer on the menu either. No salad.

Still enjoyed all our meals and the choices available.

Thanks for the review.. we are doing this next week! What did you specifically do in La Paz and Loretto? We are having a hard time finding information on those two ports. We like history, walking tours, gardens and a bit of beach time (not a ton however).
We thought La Paz and Loreto were wonderful ports. Very laid back. La Paz is a much bigger city than Loreto. Both ports actually have a very similar layout. There's a beachfront Malecon, with a Plaza and church about 3 blocks inland. We just wandered around town in both ports.

In La Paz the ship docks way out of town. The Port of La Paz offers a free shuttle into downtown. I counted 14 shuttle buses lined up when we arrived. The bus ride takes 25 minutes and drops you off at the central bus station, right on the Malecon between Calle Independencia and Calle Cinco de Mayo. A walk along the Malecon is delightful. We walked 3 blocks up Calle Cinco de Maya to the main Plaza and Cathedral. Then we wandered back to the Malecon along Calle 16 de Septembre, which is the main downtown shopping street. (Check Google Maps to orient yourself.)

In Loreto we were tendered in to the Marina. From there we walked 3 blocks south along the Malecon to Avenida Salvatierra, which is a pedestrian only street that leads to the Plaza and historic Mission. Just follow the crowds, It seems like the entire ship was doing the same thing. If you're into history, the Mission Nuestro Senora de Loreto is a must. It is the first of the California Missions, the start of El Camino Real. Quite historic. Next to the mission is an excellent museum that gives a good history of the Missions and their impact on the area. It cost $3 to enter.

If you're interested, I have scanned the Port Guides to those ports that Princess provided. You'll find them in the "Patters" link in my signature below. Scroll down past the Patters and you'll find the Port Guides. Have a great cruise!

Does the Ruby have the interactive tv's like the Regal? Love all the movie options on the regal.
No, the Ruby did not have the interactive TV'. They did play a lot of "Love Boat" reruns, though. :)

First day lunch on board also much abreviated. Only two items to chose from on main course. The wonderful avocado and shrimp appetizer no longer on the menu either. No salad.

Oh, no! I may cancel our next Princess cruise! LOVE that avocado and shrimp appetizer! Just kidding about cancelling, but I do hate to read this news.

We were on the Ruby in March. Loved the new beds.

Removing the always available items like medalions of Beef and Tri tip

was a big disappointment.

Still enjoyed all our meals and the choices available.

Those beds are wonderful, aren't they? I agree about the medallions and tri-tip. They were my wife's go to items on the menu.

I haven't been on the Ruby since the dry dock (just the month before) but I have been on the Crown a couple of times since the Salty Dogifying of Wheelhouse. The whole effect is unfortunate with those ugly fast food tables and high benches and the weird bifurcation of the place (conflicting with the dance floor.) I guess the place is doing okay for itself, though, compared to what has been happening over at SHARE. (I am not supposed to offer any opinions about SHARE since I haven't actually eaten there, so I suppose the usual suspects will be along soon to call me names. :p) I'm thinking much of it has to do with the $19 upcharge for Salty Dog as opposed to the $39 upcharge at SHARE (with the additional $8 charge for each additional item ordered.)

As usual, your photos are great!

I just can't see paying a $19 up charge for a grilled cheese sandwich. Or half of the other items on the menu for that matter. I don't mind paying for a great steak, but this just feels like more of an exercise in what they can get away with charging for. I'll be on the Royal next month so I guess we'll see. Hopefully the MDR food isn't so bad that I have to resort to the Salty Dog!

Princess greatly promotes The Salty Dog, SHARE and the AIBP and all of them may be highly profitable. Other things such as the wine packages and the Winemakers Dinner must not be as profitable & thus have little promotion.

The changes to the Wheelhouse Bar on ships with The Salty Dog have made a great space into an area attempting to have different experiences & to me they've failed. The Wheelhouse Bar was one venue where the term "casual elegance" would apply which doesn't mesh with a gastropub. :(

The changes to the Wheelhouse Bar on ships with The Salty Dog have made a great space into an area attempting to have different experiences & to me they've failed. The Wheelhouse Bar was one venue where the term "casual elegance" would apply which doesn't mesh with a gastropub. :(

My thoughts exactly. SHARE doesn't bother me at all, since it's tucked away in it's own room, and I never went to Sabatini's so I don't miss having that. But the Salty Dog butchered the look and feel of the Wheelhouse Bar. At the minimum, what needs to be done is moving the Salty Dog seating area over to the starboard alcove, and returning the center section as the Wheelhouse, since it's closest to the dance floor. And the decor of the Salty Dog needs to be updated to incorporate the nautical design of the Wheelhouse.

And the decor of the Salty Dog needs to be updated to incorporate the nautical design of the Wheelhouse.

That would definitely help. Those table and high seats are not compatible at all with the traditional furnishing of the original Wheelhouse and they look like Princess just found them cheap when a McDonald's was closing down. ;)

That would definitely help. Those table and high seats are not compatible at all with the traditional furnishing of the original Wheelhouse and they look like Princess just found them cheap when a McDonald's was closing down. ;)
They really do look like something from a fast food outlet.

I loved Sabatinis and really missed it. Loved the ambiance and quiet eating there. We looked at the Share menu and nothing appealed to us. $39.00 a person seemed like much too much. I know we have spent that in fine restaurants on land but if you consider that dinner is included already in our fare and the $39.00 a person is added to what we already paid, really pricey.

To introduce something like Share, they should have started lower priced, get people talking about it, and once popular, start to raise the price . The venue

has lost that elegant look and pretty much was empty of diners.

Crown Grill still a well priced and yummy venue. Hope that never changes.

My thoughts exactly. SHARE doesn't bother me at all, since it's tucked away in it's own room, and I never went to Sabatini's so I don't miss having that. But the Salty Dog butchered the look and feel of the Wheelhouse Bar. At the minimum, what needs to be done is moving the Salty Dog seating area over to the starboard alcove, and returning the center section as the Wheelhouse, since it's closest to the dance floor. And the decor of the Salty Dog needs to be updated to incorporate the nautical design of the Wheelhouse.

To me it's unfortunately just the latest what was Princess thinking change. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasperdo viewpost.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by shredie viewpost.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasperdo viewpost.gif

:(

To me it's unfortunately just the latest what was Princess thinking change. :(

A. Change the cheap new furniture to match the Wheelhouse traditional nautical decor? What, and lose all those gross margin dollars? Never happen. I predict it will morph into a complete fast food restaurant style takeover with piped, recorded music to eliminate those costly bands.

B. Princess is clearly thinking PROFIT.

The mass market cruise passenger demographic is changing, and maybe the younger passengers accept this style, maybe they prefer it. As a stockholder of CCL I can't complain about my return, but as someone who enjoys classic lines, style and grace, the evolution has turned off my life path. I wish them well as I look at their wake heading off into the distance. I have found my new cruise line.

We thought La Paz and Loreto were wonderful ports. Very laid back. La Paz is a much bigger city than Loreto. Both ports actually have a very similar layout. There's a beachfront Malecon, with a Plaza and church about 3 blocks inland. We just wandered around town in both ports.

In La Paz the ship docks way out of town. The Port of La Paz offers a free shuttle into downtown. I counted 14 shuttle buses lined up when we arrived. The bus ride takes 25 minutes and drops you off at the central bus station, right on the Malecon between Calle Independencia and Calle Cinco de Mayo. A walk along the Malecon is delightful. We walked 3 blocks up Calle Cinco de Maya to the main Plaza and Cathedral. Then we wandered back to the Malecon along Calle 16 de Septembre, which is the main downtown shopping street. (Check Google Maps to orient yourself.)

In Loreto we were tendered in to the Marina. From there we walked 3 blocks south along the Malecon to Avenida Salvatierra, which is a pedestrian only street that leads to the Plaza and historic Mission. Just follow the crowds, It seems like the entire ship was doing the same thing. If you're into history, the Mission Nuestro Senora de Loreto is a must. It is the first of the California Missions, the start of El Camino Real. Quite historic. Next to the mission is an excellent museum that gives a good history of the Missions and their impact on the area. It cost $3 to enter.

If you're interested, I have scanned the Port Guides to those ports that Princess provided. You'll find them in the "Patters" link in my signature below. Scroll down past the Patters and you'll find the Port Guides. Have a great cruise!

]

That sounds like a good plan for us.. we do enjoy strolling and seeing historical sites. As a former California, I always enjoy touring historic Missions as well. Thanks so much. I will look at your port guides as well.

]

That sounds like a good plan for us.. we do enjoy strolling and seeing historical sites. As a former California, I always enjoy touring historic Missions as well. Thanks so much. I will look at your port guides as well.

Excellent. Glad I could help. I really enjoyed the laid back feel of La Paz and Loreto. None of that annoying, in your face, hard sell you get in Cabo. It was very pleasant walking the Malecon and side streets of both those ports.

Judging by the 3 times I took a look in at the Salty Dog, it's not doing that good, either. Granted, it was a quick look in on 3 different nights. But it was practically deserted every time I checked.

That wasn't our experience when we dined there a couple of months ago. It was about half full the evening that we were there.

I will agree that the high chairs were not conducive to a comfortable dining experience, however we still enjoyed the food and service.

'Share' was kind of a bust on the other hand...

I have to completely disagree with your opinion on "Magic to do" though. We actually walked out about 3/4 of the way through, both thinking to ourselves that we should have left much earlier than we did. We weren't the only ones that left early either. We talked to (and overheard) others on our cruise that shared the same disappointment with the show.

I certainly would prefer not to knock the singers/dancers as I know how hard they work and regardless of whether I enjoy the show(s) or not, I always try to recognize their efforts.

With "Magic to do", the actual magic was cheap generic parlor tricks with zero originality or surprise, and the production element flow was trying way too hard to be edgy while frantically layering way too many confusing scenes with no meaningful impact. There were so many mistakes and 'seeing the action behind the curtain moments'...It felt like a really poorly done high school production.

I'm personally not familiar with Stephen Shwartz and his productions, but the score was absolutely tedious.

Big time thumbs down.:(

Edited by Skai

That wasn't our experience when we dined there a couple of months ago. It was about half full the evening that we were there.

I will agree that the high chairs were not conducive to a comfortable dining experience, however we still enjoyed the food and service.

'Share' was kind of a bust on the other hand...

I have to completely disagree with your opinion on "Magic to do" though. We actually walked out about 3/4 of the way through, both thinking to ourselves that we should have left much earlier than we did. We weren't the only ones that left early either. We talked to (and overheard) others on our cruise that shared the same disappointment with the show.

I certainly would prefer not to knock the singers/dancers as I know how hard they work and regardless of whether I enjoy the show(s) or not, I always try to recognize their efforts.

With "Magic to do", the actual magic was cheap generic parlor tricks with zero originality or surprise, and the production element flow was trying way too hard to be edgy while frantically layering way too many confusing scenes with no meaningful impact. There were so many mistakes and 'seeing the action behind the curtain moments'...It felt like a really poorly done high school production.

I'm personally not familiar with Stephen Shwartz and his productions, but the score was absolutely tedious.

Big time thumbs down.:(

Thanks for your thoughts. Happy to hear that you enjoyed the Salty Dog and that it was busier than the three times I looked in at it. I'm not against the concept, but I do think it's been poorly implemented. As you said, the high chairs are uncomfortable. And the way it chopped the Wheelhouse in half is a big mistake. Move it to the starboard alcove, and give it a nautical theme with comfortable seating, and I wouldn't mind it at all.

I appreciate your views on "Magic To Do". I personally enjoyed it, and I'm not one who generally likes magicians. I never go to the magic shows on the ship. I agree with you that the magic in the show was "cheap parlor tricks", but I felt the production was excellent. It's hard to do elaborate magic tricks and try and tell a story at the same time. I liked what they did with what they had. But I totally understand your opinion. Thanks for your comment.

Edited by Jasperdo

Thanks for your thoughts. Happy to hear that you enjoyed the Salty Dog and that it was busier than the three times I looked in at it. I'm not against the concept, but I do think it's been poorly implemented. As you said, the high chairs are uncomfortable. And the way it chopped the Wheelhouse in half is a big mistake. Move it to the starboard alcove, and give it a nautical theme with comfortable seating, and I wouldn't mind it at all.

I appreciate your views on "Magic To Do". I personally enjoyed it, and I'm not one who generally likes magicians. I never go to the magic shows on the ship. I agree with you that the magic in the show was "cheap parlor tricks", but I felt the production was excellent. It's hard to do elaborate magic tricks and try and tell a story at the same time. I liked what they did with what they had. But I totally understand your opinion. Thanks for your comment.

Your suggestions for rearranging the set-up of 'Salty Dog' in the Wheelhouse make sense. Cozy/comfy booths (or even wall benches) seem to better represent a pub in my mind, though it's understood that high bar stools generally are the expected norm in what would be considered traditional GBR pubs.

One ought to keep in mind that the lighting is(or at least was) much more subdued during actual dining hours vs. daytime hours(which definitely amplifies the tacky look in your photos).

I realize Princess is trying to step up their game so-to-speak with their offerings of productions in an attempt to provide some variety beyond the same old era-themed medley-style shows. Growing pains are to be expected I imagine.

Edited by Skai

Actually, both the hamburger and the tri-tip were added to the always available side over three years ago when the medallions were briefly removed and then added back again after passenger outcry.

That large blank space after the burger looks like the space where the Curtis Stone always available items used to be. If I remember other posts, the pork belly and the chicken pot pie were two of those items along with a mahi-mahi dish. I always thought that it would be better to have one rotating Curtis Stone dish on the right side rather than making them the always available items. Hopefully the medallions will return shortly.

They must be trying numerous variations of Curtis Stone offerings in the MDR. We were on the Ruby in Late February and there were items every night, including a very popular Mac-n-cheese style dish.