Gydnia/Gdansk or Helsinki

Trying to decide between two cruises...one makes a port of call in Poland, the other Finland. Looking for opinions as to which would be better? Our family is more interested in scenic sightseeing than historical touring for this stop. I know next to nothing about Gdanck except Lech Walesa!

We visited Gdansk on our Baltic cruise. We were very pleasantly surprised as it is a lovely town and has lots of history. Most of it is rebuilt after WWII, but that didn't matter. It was also our cheapest port of call.

I haven't visited Helsinki, but I often see comments that there isn't as much to see and do as in other European capitals.

Is Gdansk the only port that is different on the itinerary?

Trying to decide between two cruises...one makes a port of call in Poland, the other Finland. Looking for opinions as to which would be better? Our family is more interested in scenic sightseeing than historical touring for this stop. I know next to nothing about Gdanck except Lech Walesa!

Like you, all I knew about Gdansk was the Soviet era Lech Walesa situation. (In fact, we walked to the dockyards to visit the relatively new Solidarity museum. With lots of video footage, it's a fascinating place despite its somewhat disorganized layout.) Expecting only a grim Soviet city, I was blown away when we discovered the staggeringly beautiful old town, the result of its rich history dating back to the 1400s and membership in the Hanseatic League. But the very history and architectural beauty that appealed to me will matter very little to you. I think you'll enjoy the Finland port call more, assuming you're talking about Helsinki.

The fortified islands of Suomenlinna require a 20 minute ferry ride to get to, but they might be a nice option for you. These islands don't get discussed much because the city center of Helsinki has so much to offer; however, a direct question about them may produce some responses.

Here's a link to a very useful web site that mentions other scenic places to visit:

http://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/helsinki-helsingfors-sf-udn-hels.htm

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I just realized that both London Towner and I responded with the assumption that the Polish port call will be Gdansk and the Finnish port call with be Helsinki. We're probably right, but our answers might change if the ports are actually different.

I just realized that both London Towner and I responded with the assumption that the Polish port call will be Gdansk and the Finnish port call with be Helsinki. We're probably right,

but our answers might change if the ports are actually different.

It says Gdynia/Gdansk or Helsinki in the topic title though. ;)

Edited by Desdichado62