South Pacific crossing 2017 Maasdam or Noordam?

freanesi

DH and I are looking at 2017 South pacific crossings. Both ships offer one. Very similar itineraries, but leave from different ports. As we are flying from Sydney this is not a problem. Does anybody have any pros and cons for either ship or any suggestions either way? Our only experience with HAL was on the Zuiderdam last year on a Mediterranean cruise. (Absolutely loved it!) I know the Noordam is a Vista class ship, the same as the Zuiderdam, and I think the Maasdam is a smaller ship. Any help and comments will be greatly appreciated.

If you are doing a SP crossing I suspect you will have a lot of long sea days, so you might like the Noordam since it is the larger ship with more venues and space to roam around.

Though I love the intimacy of the smaller ships like the Maasdam. If you liked the Zuiderdam however, you will love the Noordam even more from most reports- the ship that finally got the Vista ships right in decor and layout, so I am told.

Where do you think you will spend most of your sea day time - dining, lectures, library, pool, spa, group activities, cabin, quiet lounges or out of the way decks. This can make a deciding factor between ship choices. I love the smaller and more open feeling of the Maasdam main dining room, compared to the more cramped feeling of the Vista dining room.

Toss-up. You can't lose - what a great trip no matter how you go. But it will definitely be a sea voyage more than most other itineraries. Just back from the 42 day Tales of the SP and there is a lot of water out there - very humbling when you think of the early sailors who just had to point and shoot and hope they would find the needle in the haystack island, somewhere out their in that vast empty horizon.

Edited by OlsSalt

Thanks OlsSalt for your help. We chose this particular type of cruise because of the sea days. We love cruising, but have only done Mediterranean cruises, very port intensive. Love the cruising lifestyle so decided to do this cruise for the sea days, to really experience the life on board and have a relaxing holiday. Pool is not high on the list (home has beautiful white sandy beaches) and would rather spend money on the cruise not the spa. Dining, cabin, crows nest activities, out of the way decks and meeting fellow cruisers would be reasons to help the days go by. Australia is a long way from anywhere and the opportunity for a one way airfare and cruising home has the appeal. I guess I just have to research both ships and come up with the best one that suits our needs. Thank you for your input .

Thanks OlsSalt for your help. We chose this particular type of cruise because of the sea days. We love cruising, but have only done Mediterranean cruises, very port intensive. Love the cruising lifestyle so decided to do this cruise for the sea days, to really experience the life on board and have a relaxing holiday. Pool is not high on the list (home has beautiful white sandy beaches) and would rather spend money on the cruise not the spa. Dining, cabin, crows nest activities, out of the way decks and meeting fellow cruisers would be reasons to help the days go by. Australia is a long way from anywhere and the opportunity for a one way airfare and cruising home has the appeal. I guess I just have to research both ships and come up with the best one that suits our needs. Thank you for your input .

You'll find the size of the ships is the most striking difference. The Maasdam, being smaller, is easier to get around quickly. It's easy to run back to your cabin to pick up something you forgot, then get back to what you were doing.

I love that the Maasdam is generous with loungers on the Lower Promenade Deck. It's easier to get a convenient one on that ship than on the larger ships, as they are closer to the doorways. I love that deck on sea days, as they are close to the sea, and quiet.

Another advantage of a smaller ship is that you will run into the same people again and again. Both the size of the ship, and the longer voyage, will allow you the opportunity to get to know your fellow passengers better.

Yet it is still large enough to avoid someone, should that be your choice. :eek:

I am not concentrating on the smaller ship only because it would be my choice. ;) Since you haven't sailed this size ship, I thought it appropriate to point out some of the advantages.

Thank you RuthC for your very informative reply. It does make me think about the smaller ship over the bigger one for the reasons you have mentioned. i also though, need to think about the cost which is a big factor! I will keep researching and eventually find an answer that meets our requirements. Your input is most appreciated. Thanks, Jen.

We just were on the Noordam and liked the ship very much. It was in very good condition. One thing not mentioned is the larger ship will handle rougher seas better. When we crossed the Tasman Sea it was very rough. I was very glad to be on a larger ship. It was bad enough as it was. It was so bad I had to leave a plate of untouched Prime Rib at dinner to go back to my cabin to lay down. Now that is rough. :-)

Edited by jmps

One thing not mentioned is the larger ship will handle rougher seas better.

This is not necessarily true. How well the ship rides in rough seas has more to do with the shape of the hull, and how well it cuts through the water, than the size of the ship itself.

As far as riding in rough seas goes, HAL's best is the smallest---Prinsendam.

The Tasman Sea can be an ordeal. Anyone having a tough time on a larger ship can't know how much better or worse a smaller ship would have been on the same trip.

We had to make the same decision, but decided on the Noordam for several reasons. We can fly direct to Vancouver from Auckland & the Noordam is a 27 day cruise as oppose to a 24 day. Also we can afford a veranda cabin on it, but not on the Maasdam. I really prefer the smaller ships, but my husband wants a veranda for all the sea days. The Maasdam has a laundry which the Noordam does not and I feel most probably the swimming pools are the same size for far less people.One thing will be the deciding factor. good luck with the decision.