Just can't figure out best way to go from Venice to Civitavecchia

scher

The better route is direct from pisa to civitavecchia. ...the terminal in Rome is so big I understand it takes 20 minutes with all your bags to go to the correct train the takes you to the port. I'll stick with pisa. I disagree with you about taking the train to rome and switching there.

I agree completely. I have caught the Pisa train back from central Rome to Civi on several occasions. You have plenty of time to get to the ship after seeing the Tower in Pisa. If you got tickets ahead of time and are up at 9 am, I think you can actually go up. I think it depends on the location of your hotel in Pisa though.

I would be inclined to extend my stay in Florence, leaving the bags at the left luggage. You can wander around Florence and have a lovely time without going into any galleries at all (lets face it that is what many people including me have had to do whilst on a ship tour of Florence which allows about 4 hours to discover the city). You can have an early supper in Florence sitting outside in one of the nice squares and then set off to Pisa at about 8 pm. The hotel you chose looks nice but you will hardly be there. I would choose a hotel near to the station in Pisa, on the map I saw the NH Pisa - get that and you can save yourself the bother of taxis. You will be able to check in by about 10 pm and be in bed in time for an early start to see the tower in the morning. Settle with the hotel as soon as you get up in the morning. According to my map, from Pisa Centrale train station to the Tower it is a 23 minute walk or a 13 minute drive. Personally I would be walking out of the hotel at 8.00 am and walk to the Tower. Take photos while you wait for the tower to open.

If you decide to climb the tower you need to be quick up to the top. Jump in a taxi back to the hotel and grab your cases. You have to be back at Pisa Centrale on a train leaving at around 11 am. Make sure you have your train tickets booked already (too soon to do it now but it can be done on line).

You will still have to catch a taxi at Civitavecchia train station as it is a bit of a trek to the ship shuttle with cases.

Only you know your family and know if they are good time keepers. If you they are apt to take ten minutes extra here or there - then you really do not have time to go up the tower. I have suggested timings based on you having to be on board by 3 pm. If you have longer then you can take the later train and you certainly do have enough time to go up the Tower.

You don't have time if you don't book a hotel near to Pisa Centrale.

Your cruise is brilliant. I have longed to do that itinerary for ages - but hubby is against flying at the moment so my cruises have to be from Barcelona. Going in September is good too - you are going to be hot, but the temperatures are coming down.

I agree completely. I have caught the Pisa train back from central Rome to Civi on several occasions. You have plenty of time to get to the ship after seeing the Tower in Pisa. If you got tickets ahead of time and are up at 9 am, I think you can actually go up. I think it depends on the location of your hotel in Pisa though.

I would be inclined to extend my stay in Florence, leaving the bags at the left luggage. You can wander around Florence and have a lovely time without going into any galleries at all (lets face it that is what many people including me have had to do whilst on a ship tour of Florence which allows about 4 hours to discover the city). You can have an early supper in Florence sitting outside in one of the nice squares and then set off to Pisa at about 8 pm. The hotel you chose looks nice but you will hardly be there. I would choose a hotel near to the station in Pisa, on the map I saw the NH Pisa - get that and you can save yourself the bother of taxis. You will be able to check in by about 10 pm and be in bed in time for an early start to see the tower in the morning. Settle with the hotel as soon as you get up in the morning. According to my map, from Pisa Centrale train station to the Tower it is a 23 minute walk or a 13 minute drive. Personally I would be walking out of the hotel at 8.00 am and walk to the Tower. Take photos while you wait for the tower to open.

If you decide to climb the tower you need to be quick up to the top. Jump in a taxi back to the hotel and grab your cases. You have to be back at Pisa Centrale on a train leaving at around 11 am. Make sure you have your train tickets booked already (too soon to do it now but it can be done on line).

You will still have to catch a taxi at Civitavecchia train station as it is a bit of a trek to the ship shuttle with cases.

Only you know your family and know if they are good time keepers. If you they are apt to take ten minutes extra here or there - then you really do not have time to go up the tower. I have suggested timings based on you having to be on board by 3 pm. If you have longer then you can take the later train and you certainly do have enough time to go up the Tower.

You don't have time if you don't book a hotel near to Pisa Centrale.

Your cruise is brilliant. I have longed to do that itinerary for ages - but hubby is against flying at the moment so my cruises have to be from Barcelona. Going in September is good too - you are going to be hot, but the temperatures are coming down.

This is the most helpful information I have received. Thank you so much for going in depth about timing and all. I am comfortable with spending a little extra money and having a cab or driver just pick us up very early 7am or so and just quickly drive to the tower wait let us snap a few pictures then drive to the train right from there. I will have already purchased my tickets for the train. I would think I'd I could catch a train that's about 9am I would be at the port by noon and either walk (5 blocks, is what I'm told) or grab another cab. My concern is how do I get a cab big enough for 4 of us and our luggage? I'm told cabs are small.

This is the most helpful information I have received. Thank you so much for going in depth about timing and all. I am comfortable with spending a little extra money and having a cab or driver just pick us up very early 7am or so and just quickly drive to the tower wait let us snap a few pictures then drive to the train right from there. I will have already purchased my tickets for the train. I would think I'd I could catch a train that's about 9am I would be at the port by noon and either walk (5 blocks, is what I'm told) or grab another cab. My concern is how do I get a cab big enough for 4 of us and our luggage? I'm told cabs are small.

I quite enjoyed planning your trip. I really should have been doing mine - because this time next week we will be on the train to Barcelona :D

Sometimes there are big and small cabs and they just tell you to wait until a big one turns up (the wait will not be a problem because you are so near to the ship). IF there are no big cabs and the drivers think that you will not fit - you will have to take two. Obviously it is cheaper to take one but it is not a reason to worry. Lots of cruise passengers arrive with luggage. Have fun.

What an exciting time for a family. Whatever you ultimately decide to do have a back up plan especially with the train system in Italy. We drove from Venice to Sorrento several years ago but I would not suggest that with a group if you have not done it before.

You might want to also check with Jany at Romeinlimo. I have used them for years and they go from the port to Florence. You might be able to book a tour with them and have them drop you at the port.

Karen