Homer Suggestions

Shebba

Dh and I will be visiting Homer on our cruise in July. I'm not that interested in the excursions that our cruise line is offering. Any suggestions or past experiences that you can share would be greatly appreciated. We are in our 60s, but healthy and love to see/try new things. Thanks in advance!

Dh and I will be visiting Homer on our cruise in July. I'm not that interested in the excursions that our cruise line is offering. Any suggestions or past experiences that you can share would be greatly appreciated. We are in our 60s, but healthy and love to see/try new things. Thanks in advance!

We took the shuttle (I think it was complimentary, but am not 100% certain) to the Spit. Artsy area, with ocean and shops and fish processing and restaurants and .... :) DH and I are in good shape, enjoyed the walk, enjoyed the people-watching. I was especially moved by the Seafarers Memorial, and we spent quite a bit of time there, reading the various plaques.

Probably too low-key for most, but we enjoyed it :)

For a small town there's quite a bit to do ... kayaking, hikes, birding, a couple of ocean centers with exhibits, ferry to Seldovia or Halibut Cove. Or rent a car for the day and drive along the coast to Ninilchik to see the orthodox church, beaches, fishing holes, clamming.

Attached is the town web site The left side of the page has a long list of options:

http://homeralaska.org/visit-homer/recreation-adventure

We have taken 4 Alaskan cruises, and our favorite of any excursion in any port was this one:

!Special! 1/2 Day Peterson Bay Exploration from the Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies.

http://www.akcoastalstudies.org/guided-tours/book-a-tour-or-a-program.html

It's a true Alaskan experience and very much worth the price.

Have a great day in Homer! We love that port.

Edited by epixx

Thank you all for the quick responses. This will be very helpful. This is our third Alaskan cruise, but our first time to port in Homer. Excited to go exploring!!

We have made reservations with Cycle Logical Homer dot com to go BIKE RIDING...cruise down the Spit, go to the shops on the spit, Homer Brewing Company and back to Salty Dog Saloon....easy peasy for about $15pp for 4 hours. What's not to like about that :D