Ncl breakaway unlimited internet

rcmal

Hi, thinking about getting the unlimited internet package for my son during our Bermuda cruise this month. Is the speed good? I have read reviews stating pitifully slow to fast streaming music 24x7. Would we be able to watch videos? I mainly want to check emails daily. For my son he would be on Facebook, streaming music and hoping to watch videos. Thanks for any feedback.

Hi, thinking about getting the unlimited internet package for my son during our Bermuda cruise this month. Is the speed good? I have read reviews stating pitifully slow to fast streaming music 24x7. Would we be able to watch videos? I mainly want to check emails daily. For my son he would be on Facebook, streaming music and hoping to watch videos. Thanks for any feedback.

I've used internet on several boats, they all use similar system. The speed is awful, it's ok for my use (sending and receiving emails), but it's not good for multimedia like Netflix, YouTube, etc. Can it do it sometimes? Sure. Is it free of frustration? Hell no.

Breakaway does not have "similar system" as other NCL ships (not boats!).

Breakaway has next generation system that is much, much faster than the older satellite systems on all other NCL ships, that is why the billing is also different (based on megabytes downloaded instead of minutes used like other ships). That said, I still wouldn't count on being able to stream high bandwidth things through the satellite connection.

The Breakaway internet service is definitely waaay better than the Jewel class ships - but that said, I think it also depends upon where your cabin is located. I'm not sure why that would be, but it's been my experience.

I've cruised in an aft balcony on 12 and had GREAT reliable internet during the entire cruise (good enough to stream live television and music without hiccups!) In February I was in a forward balcony on 16, and while it was still better than the Gem, it wasn't without buffering.

Enjoy Bermuda!! I'm right behind you in May :)

Breakaway does not have "similar system" as other NCL ships (not boats!).

Breakaway has next generation system that is much, much faster than the older satellite systems on all other NCL ships, that is why the billing is also different (based on megabytes downloaded instead of minutes used like other ships). That said, I still wouldn't count on being able to stream high bandwidth things through the satellite connection.

The breakaway uses a better system than the newer getaway? Ok...

The breakaway uses a better system than the newer getaway? Ok...

As incredible as that sounds, yes. Breakaway was retrofitted as a test that has been going on for quite some time now.

Terms & conditions for satellite broadband usage prohibit/restrict streaming. Hardware, server & network management have the resources to identify and throttle efforts to stream & bypass the blocks - and to terminate the end user's connections onboard if necessary.

My advice, download one's personal choice & favorite MP3's and MP4's onto the devices before leaving home - transfer them onto the devices & playback offline - take a nice pair of noise-reduction or noise-isolating headsets / in-ear buds ... Bose aren't a must, our Sennheiser & Sony sets worked great, or, bring along a wireless bluetooth portable speaker for audio playback. Or, use a powered USB portable HDD for video & audio storage.