Cell Phones

ljones

Since I didn't find a thread, I decided to open myself to ...???

On my last cruise, I noticed a distinct increase in cell phone use in public places on the ship (primarily in port). For some reason, people in face to face conversations seem to blend into the background. But people on cell phones seem to talk much louder (is it my imagination) so that everyone around them can hear.

But the final straw for me would have been (this happened to my cabinmate -not a friend of a friend) while on an excursion, the guide was providing a history of the area & another woman on the bus decided to call her husband & loudly say, "Guess where I am right now?" And then continue a conversation with him.

I admit I have a prejudice against cell phones in public gathering places (step away & keep the thing on vibrate). I have actually seen three people dining together all talking on cell phones - Are you KIDDING??!!

And don't even start the discussion about cell phone use being allowed on airplanes. In an emergency - absolutely. Otherwise - NO.

A cell phone on an excursion seems a bit much. Some folks might make valid arguments for their need to maintain contact with work or home. This can be accomplished with consideration and discretion. Yacking on a phone while most people are trying to listen to the history they paid to hear is rude. Next time, wait until the bus (which is hopefully open air) hits a curve or bump and whack the phone out of the offending party's hand. Yes, I am kidding but the mental image pleases me, even as I type this.

I also dislike cell phones but I do have one. It keeps me in touch with my teenage daughter now that she drives. Otherwise I never use it. Only my husband and daughter have the number.

Cant stand to hear all that yakking!

The users might be rude, but be weary of those that offer their opinion on rude behavior!

The PC police will stomp on you like an elephant steps on a fly!

My wife says ost people yell into their cel phones because:

A) They never learned how to adjust the volume on the phone when they bought it

or

B) Were too cheap to buy a decent phone.

Luckily, I don't care about the PC police...but I did also say "could be you."

Interestingly, an article in the paper today said poll responses indicate that Americans seem to be more Rude. And one of the listed offenses: Cell Phone use in public for general conversation.

Archived