A Few Questions

mufc99

Having only done the NCL Pride of America cruise around Hawaii twice, I have little knowledge of what to expect from other cruise lines & specifically an Alaskan cruise.

Do most ships have entertainment at night, eg. Jersey Boys type shows, White Hot Partys?

Are alcoholic drinks expensive on all cruise lines? - Think we were paying nearly 40 bucks for 6 beers on POA & the bottles of wine were coming in at over 30 bucks each!

I read somewhere you can take alcohol on board, is that right? - not allowed on POA.

Is any side of the ship preferable when selecting a cabin, for the best scenery?

Do the prices of the cabins come down in if you book closer to the depart date? Last cruise we booked 9 months in advance and it probably cost 800 per person more by doing that!

Thanks!

My answers in red for you:

Having only done the NCL Pride of America cruise around Hawaii twice, I have little knowledge of what to expect from other cruise lines & specifically an Alaskan cruise.

Do most ships have entertainment at night, eg. Jersey Boys type shows, White Hot Partys? Not all ships have "Jersey Boy"-type entertainment, but they all have shows. Some are Vegas-style, some are just musical revues. You may want to check out the cruise line specific forums to ask.

Are alcoholic drinks expensive on all cruise lines? - Think we were paying nearly 40 bucks for 6 beers on POA & the bottles of wine were coming in at over 30 bucks each! Alcohol is always expensive on a ship. ALWAYS. Some lines offer alcohol packages, so you may want to check those out. However, unlike in the Caribbean or Hawaii, you may not be lounging around and drinking as much on an Alaskan cruise.

I read somewhere you can take alcohol on board, is that right? - not allowed on POA. I've only been on Carnival and Celebrity. Both allow passengers to bring a couple bottles of wine on board with them when they initially board. Just check whichever cruise line you select to see what their policies are for wine.

Is any side of the ship preferable when selecting a cabin, for the best scenery? It depends on what scenery you want to see. If you want land views, northbound you want starboard, southbound you'd want port. Round trip it doesn't matter. If you want more water views, obviously you do the opposite. Aft cabin trumps all though. :D

Do the prices of the cabins come down in if you book closer to the depart date? Last cruise we booked 9 months in advance and it probably cost 800 per person more by doing that! I've always found it's best to book ASAP. This way you get the cabin and location you want, especially if you want a balcony. And I wholeheartedly recommend you book a balcony for Alaska! Prices do not always drop, they usually will go up for Alaska! (Mine has gone up about $300 per person for the category I have booked.) Unlike Caribbean cruises, the odds of a "last minute deal" is fairly slim. They do happen, but I wouldn't count on it.

Thanks!

Hopefully that helps!

Edited by K.T.B.

KTB has done a good job answering your questions (well, except the comment about aft cabins. LOL. I don't like them. :p). I'll just add a few comments...

As far as entertainment, Alaska is the itinerary where for the most part the ship is simply a means of transport. It stays light later, so in the evenings many people will still be out on deck taking in the scenery. TBH, I don't believe I've ever attended a show on any of my Alaska cruises. I could be remembering that incorrectly, but that's my recall.

People think of alcohol as being really expensive on a cruise ship, but it's really about the price you'd pay at a bar on land. Drinks run $8 and up and that's what I find when I got out with friends as well (not considering happy hour). Some lines--NCL comes to mind--may include an alcohol package as a perk when you book. In the case of NCL, you pay the 18% gratuity on the package and then you don't pay for drinks on board.

As far as taking alcohol on board, as KTB said, most lines will allow you to bring some wine. I don't personally know of any of the mainstream lines that allow you to bring hard liquor or beer. In some cases, you can order a bar setup for your room.

Prices of cabins are sometimes less when you book further out and sometimes less when you book closer. I had a Carnival cruise where I had more than $2000 in OBC due to price cuts by the time I boarded he ship. I also seen it where the price of the cruise within 30 days of sailing is 4 times higher than what I paid booking a year out. I generally book early and then watch prices.

Thanks for your replies.

When we first went with NCL to Hawaii, booking in advanced was ok but I believe they then changed their policies and charged more for a start and then reduced prices as the cruise got closer.

With 6 weeks to go we could have still got the same deck and side, but it can be a gamble.

Because of the no alcohol allowed rule a couple of ladies we met ended up filling water bottles with vodka and walking them on board! :-) We werent that desperate and just copped the bill when we disembarked!