Tragedy at sea - some insights

dalgirl

So sorry for your loss - I cannot imagine the grief of losing a child. Would you mind to tell us if you purchased your insurance directly through NCL or an outside provider?

Thank you all for your sympathy, it has been the most difficult loss of our lives. We bought our insurance at the time we booked our cruise through our travel agency. Easiest way for us to do it all at once.

I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost our daughter in December. She was a baby, but it was very unexpected and there is nothing that compares to the loss of a child no matter what age they are. Big hugs to you <3

We booked a cruise this summer to help us heal. This reminded me to get insurance. Thank you so much for sharing.

So very sorry for your lose, and, no, age does not matter. We will be cruising again in may, I hope that it will help us also to heal, our son also loved to cruise.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I am glad to hear that Norwegian went above and beyond for you during this time.

About 10 years ago, my elderly father died when I was on a cruise. My mother chose not to notify me until the day we arrived back at the debarkation port. We arrived back on a Tuesday, and the funeral was Thursday (Thanksgiving Day). I understand why my mother chose to wait (we had young kids with us) but I always felt guilty I wasn't at home when it happened.

There is no easy way through these scenarios. Bless you and your family at this time.

Edited by plane2port

So sorry for your loss. We had a similar experience 4 years ago and NCL went above and beyond. We had my niece and 3 of her friends on a cruise to celebrate their graduation from high school. We had gone to Disneyland and then boarded the Jewel. As the ship was pulling out we received a call that the mom of one of the girls had died. We immediately called the grandmother of the young girl and asked if she wanted us to tell her and try to get her off the ship or wait until the cruise was over. It was a 4 day cruise. She said she would like to get her home asap. We called the concierge and explained the situation to her and she was in our room in no time at all and said she had already talked to the captain and the only way to get us off the ship was to catch the pilot boat when it came to pick the pilot up and it would be there in 10 minutes. They could not hold it for us. We knew the girls were at the sail away party so my husband went down and got them and we told them what had happened and she and my husband left and made the boat. An NCL representative was with them until they actually got on the boat. Once they were gone they turned their attention to the other girls and really did everything they could to make their trip a good one.

dalgirl, We were on the Sun with you. I don't think we met, but I think I saw you at the Meet & Greet. We heard about your tragedy from another CC member on the sea day after Puerto Madryn and really appreciate the update on how the crew assisted you and when you were able to fly home. I didn't see any planes in the air on the Falklands so figured you would fly out of Ushuaia.

So sorry for your loss and we wish you the best on your May cruise.

It is so sad, especially to lose a child. Although I cannot imagine your loss, my sympathies go out to you and your family.

I seem to think about it more as I age that there are so many things that could happen at home while one is at sea. I am glad NCL came through for you.

God Bless

dalgirl, We were on the Sun with you. I don't think we met, but I think I saw you at the Meet & Greet. We heard about your tragedy from another CC member on the sea day after Puerto Madryn and really appreciate the update on how the crew assisted you and when you were able to fly home. I didn't see any planes in the air on the Falklands so figured you would fly out of Ushuaia.

So sorry for your loss and we wish you the best on your May cruise.

Thank you for reaching out. Several people from our roll call were very kind, and we appreciated all the kindness shown to us. It was very frustrating not to be able to fly home immediately, but these things happen. And our day in Ushuaia before we flew out was beautful, a true gift to us.

I also want to mention that we had prepaid several private tours and each opreator was very understanding and refunds were promptly given. I'm a little unsure about the next cruise, but you have to go on and push through and expect the best. Our next cruise had been planned last year and I know our son would not want us to give up traveling, it is something our whole family loved and we have wonderful memories of our time spent together.