Chef Table Gratuities

SadieN

Thanks...and I do understand OP wanting to get facts straight...but is sounds wonderful...and a way to change up the cruise...thanks.:)

OP here.

Doesn't bother me that the gratuity was added. Actually I'm glad that it's now out in the open.

Wonder when they'll do the gratuity addition to the steakhouse?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The whole point was that the $75 was supposed to include the gratuity' date=' and now they are adding more.

I don't mind, since Carnival's Chef's Table is less expensive then any of the other ones I have done, and it's only like $11 more with the change. I just wish they wouldn't act like the gratuity was not included before. What they are really doing is changing the price of Chef's Table, and trying to cover it up by adding a gratuity. So now, the staff will get the 15% gratuity, and Carnival will keep the part that used to go to the staff.[/quote']

I get you, trust me. When I booked, a couple of months ago, for our upcoming Conquest cruise, the tips were still included in the PP price. But, we would have tipped anyway.

Hate to say this is the way it is and will be from now on, but you probably get me. :)

Either way, the goal is to have a good time and great service should always be recognized above and beyond what is typical. At least that's my opinion.

OP here.

Doesn't bother me that the gratuity was added. Actually I'm glad that it's now out in the open.

Surprised it isn't already!

Yes, but YOU control that.

When they take it from you, it's not the same.

So this is a price increase under the guise of tipping. I'm reaching out to legal in Florida.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but don't you think their legal already o.k.'d this?

OP here.

Hi,,,,me too...lol..and good point!! It would be good too..those things are such fair prices, and deserve the gratuity spelled out so they get it...these special servers.... and I like is all open too...even with gratuity...amazing deal for what you get with everything in extra each place...

Although personally have not had Chef's yet..when you compare a land deal with each amount of fancy..it would be so much more. I just love this about Carnival..how to fancy it up on ship if wanted with these things and the spa. I love that spa window in the ladies locker room on Fantasy class ships..with the big ledge. It's the little things..the special places moving looking at the sea in a affordable cruise with frills. I also like the upgrade order you can get on steaks and lobster in the main.

Edited by sjn911

The whole point was that the $75 was supposed to include the gratuity' date=' and now they are adding more.

I don't mind, since Carnival's Chef's Table is less expensive then any of the other ones I have done, and it's only like $11 more with the change. I just wish they wouldn't act like the gratuity was not included before. What they are really doing is changing the price of Chef's Table, and trying to cover it up by adding a gratuity. So now, the staff will get the 15% gratuity, and Carnival will keep the part that used to go to the staff.[/quote']

Remove auto tip for that night. They are double dipping.

Hi,,,,me too...lol..and good point!! It would be good too..those things are such fair prices, and deserve the gratuity spelled out so they get it...these special servers.... and I like is all open too...even with gratuity...amazing deal for what you get with everything in extra each place...

Although personally have not had Chef's yet..when you compare a land deal with each amount of fancy..it would be so much more. I just love this about Carnival..how to fancy it up on ship if wanted with these things and the spa. I love that spa window in the ladies locker room on Fantasy class ships..with the big ledge. It's the little things..the special places moving looking at the sea in a affordable cruise with frills. I also like the upgrade order you can get on steaks and lobster in the main.

Good point, our first and ONLY SPA visit set us back $300. Never again.

Yes, but YOU control that.

When they take it from you, it's not the same.

So this is a price increase under the guise of tipping. I'm reaching out to legal in Florida.

I do believe you can have any or all tips removed if you feel your service was not up to par.

Remove autotip for all the crew for a whole day just because you dont like the additional tip for an optional expense? Wow... :rolleyes:

He said "Remove auto tip for that night". The logical interpretation of that statement is a suggestion to remove the dining room services auto tips, which are clearly spelled out in Carnival's gratuity policy.

Do you typically tip for services not rendered?

WOW Still going to follow my personal gut Still going to make sure the total is 100.00 per person with the tip .. So in the past it was a 25.00 tip and now it will still be a 25.00 tip ..

whats a few extra dollars on a 1000.00 pp vacation Depending on what trip and ship you are on..

He said "Remove auto tip for that night". The logical interpretation of that statement is a suggestion to remove the dining room services auto tips, which are clearly spelled out in Carnival's gratuity policy.

The dining room tips are for your MDR wait staff as well as the behind the scenes staff both in the MDR and the Lido buffet stations.

Ultimately, even if I didn't eat a bite all day I have a problem with taking that $6.10 away from those people who come from extreme poverty and work so very hard, based on a whim of mine to eat elsewhere. YMMV.

Truth be told, these people should be paid primarily out of the cruise fare rather than gratuities, but since they're not I don't begrudge them their few dollars a day.

Edited by gtalum

Actually he did get services. He and his travel partner ate breakfast and lunch earlier, did they not? So removing tips for that day totally negates his meals earlier in the day. Secondly if you think your removing a tip just for dining services, you are sadly mistaken. Even if he removes say $2 for the evening portion of his dining it just lowers the tip for everyone across the board, not totally removes it. And that isnt hearsay.

The dining room tips are for your MDR wait staff as well as the behind the scenes staff both in the MDR and the Lido buffet stations.

Ultimately, even if I didn't eat a bite all day I have a problem with taking that $6.10 away from those people who come from extreme poverty and work so very hard, based on a whim of mine to eat elsewhere. YMMV.

Truth be told, these people should be paid primarily out of the cruise fare rather than gratuities, but since they're not I don't begrudge them their few dollars a day.

Thank you for saying this. If I went to a restaurant for ONE meal I'd tip at minimum $5-6 bucks no matter the cost... Your getting a whole day of meals for $6.10 tip. Come on.

$6.10 per guest, per day for dining room services

$3.90 per guest, per day for stateroom services

$2.00 per guest per day for alternate services which is distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1123

This is what the policy states. I'll take it at it's face that "dining room services" means "dining room services".

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

Actually he did get services. He and his travel partner ate breakfast and lunch earlier, did they not? So removing tips for that day totally negates his meals earlier in the day. Secondly if you think your removing a tip just for dining services, you are sadly mistaken. Even if he removes say $2 for the evening portion of his dining it just lowers the tip for everyone across the board, not totally removes it. And that isnt hearsay.

Depends on whether they used the dining room or not. I'll take the policy posted on Carnival's website at its word over your interpretation.

$6.10 per guest, per day for dining room services

$3.90 per guest, per day for stateroom services

$2.00 per guest per day for alternate services which is distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

This is what the policy states. I'll take it at it's face that "dining room services" means "dining room services".

I know for a fact that many behind the scenes folks are tipped out of the $6.10. You're free to be cheap, let's just not pretend that you're not. ;)

Thank you for saying this. If I went to a restaurant for ONE meal I'd tip at minimum $5-6 bucks no matter the cost... Your getting a whole day of meals for $6.10 tip. Come on.

Your personal tipping policy is irrelevant.

How much to tip is a personal matter and completely up to our guests.

I know for a fact that many behind the scenes folks are tipped out of the $6.10. You're free to be cheap, let's just not pretend that you're not. ;)

OK, you can call me names, but that doesn't change the wording of the policy. You can state anecdotes, I can quote the official policy on the website.

For me personally, though it is irrelevant to the discussion, I use the dining room at least once every day, so I don't adjust anything.

Depends on whether they used the dining room or not. I'll take the policy posted on Carnival's website at its word over your interpretation.

Dining services does include the buffet, so if he ate that day whether he was in a dining room or served himself on the Lido, it includes those folks whether you care to "interpret" it that way or not.