Gem Magenta vs. Grand Pacific

wezie

Grand Pacific is the aft & more formal dining room - supposed to be no shorts, etc. I've cruised where Magenta was so busy, they sent people to Grand Pacific even if not in dress code but I think it would depend on the maitre'd, etc.

What is the difference between the two dining rooms? Is it true that you need to be more dressed up in the Grand Pacific or is the dress code the same in both dining rooms?

Yes, it is true that you need to be more dressed up on all NCL ships in aft MDR and that is the only difference between said MDRs - the menu is the same and the food comes from the same galley.

See NCL's FAQ about dress code: https://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

I too prefer the Grand Pacific over Magenta -- the Grand Pacific is a beautiful, large, high-ceilinged (two decks high), windowed space. Great ambience. To me, dining in Magenta is like eating on land.

As for dress code, there's really not much of one on NCL, not too hard to to be "dressed" for the Grand Pacific.

Magenta seems enclosed and, perhaps because it is closer to the center of activity, always seemed to require a longer wait for a table. Grand Pacific was airy and spacious - with the same food. It seemed that as long as you had some clothes on, you were in compliance with the effective dress code in either.

The Grand Pacific is 100% better than Magenta IMO. The only thing that we did different was to make sure that my husband wore pants, which was not a problem because he always wore them at nite anyway. I loved the open feeling of the dining room as opposed to the low ceilings in Magenta. When it was just the 4 of us they often seated us right in front of the windows facing the aft which was gorgeous. The service seemed much better as well...Enjoy!