Penny Pinching Just a Bit Too Far

Chunky2219

Could we please stop all this nonsense and piffle from across the pond. It may be just the way you like it there, but it ain't like that here. To be more precise, and speaking spcifically about Southampton:

a) Get tags at check in. Er, no. We drop bags at the kerb outside (note, that's "kerb"not "curb") then go inside to queue for 10-30 minutes for the check in desk. Luggage doesn't go inside.

b) Stand in line (did I mention it always rains in Southampton??) then tip someone to do the job he's paid to do, or else be concerened that it won't happen. Er, no. Not in this version of reality. Your tipping culture has infested too deeply already and it stops here.

c) Print the docs myself. I don't even receive them by e-mail in the UK. My TA gets them, prints in B&W and posts them out. Did I mention that paper tags stapled at the ends fill me with the same confidence as a prediction about the next earthquake?

d) Exactly how much is Celebrity saving the environment if my TA jhas to print out a massive pack (single sided) and post it? Zip, nada, zilch, zero. That's how much.

I could go on, but it would sound like a rant.

Oh how I agree. :( :confused:

...So the advice was to ask for luggage tags at check in. What could possibly go wrong? I can see me dressing for the first formal night in a tee shirt and flip flops...

Great news! There is nothing to worry about. They eliminated formal nights some time ago.

Really though, you're over thinking this. I've never had an issue with luggage delivery because of getting luggage tags at the port. Worst case is about 3 minutes longer handing off your luggage to the porter. Although you might want to carry a Sharpie marker in case the porter doesn't have sufficient pens or just has a ballpoint instead of a marker - although I don't think that would make a difference.

...Around September I'll receive the glossy pre-cruise brochure for our Cunard cruise in November. In the back will be some perforated, foldable labels that the Incredible Hulk couldn't tear....

Thank you for the info. The next time I want a cruise with a glossy pre cruise booklet and some Hulk proof labels I'll try and remember to sail Cunard.

Edited by Lsimon

I ordered ours three weeks ago and since we are still considered one of the colonies, they are predictably absent. They should arrive when we get back.
LOL! Yes, we have had that happen a number of times when they sent us luggage tags even though we never ordered them.

We find it quick and easy to tag the bags at the pier, whether we do it ourselves or let the porters do it.

No need to bother with luggage tags in advance at all.

The porters load the bags that are already pre-tagged right on the same carts along with the ones that are tagged at the pier.

As we can see, some people prefer to make their own luggage tags and others like to order them in advance to bring along from home.

But for new cruisers, rest assured that it really is not a problem as your bags will get tagged whichever way you do it.

Edited by varoo

Whenever we've sailed in the past there's been a nice printed brochure with all the cruise details in it plus the options for tours in port. A useful way to plan before boarding and a nice momento afterwards. Sadly, as times have moved on several operators including Celebrity have stopped doing this and you have to print your own. C'est la vie.

But even then, you could order printed luggage tags on line which were posted out. For our forthcoming cruise, it says on line that tags are not yet available so I phoned X (0844, chargeable phone number!!!! :mad:) to find that Celebrity don't even do that any more. Apparently, the contractor they use has a problem and presumably it's too difficult to pick up the phone and get them done elsewhere.

So the advice was to ask for luggage tags at check in. What could possibly go wrong? I can see me dressing for the first formal night in a tee shirt and flip flops.

C'mon Celebrity, we all want value for money and know you need to turn a profit, but you've gone too far this time.

We always print our own & use the laminating machine to waterproof them.

Saves, time & resources.

I wish that ALL the cruise lines cut back on all those pieces of paper they deliver to the staterooms daily. They talk about protecting the waves, but they should protect the environment more.

I don't think it's penny pinching at all.

We always print our own & use the laminating machine to waterproof them.

Saves, time & resources.

I wish that ALL the cruise lines cut back on all those pieces of paper they deliver to the staterooms daily. They talk about protecting the waves, but they should protect the environment more.

I don't think it's penny pinching at all.

I certainly agree. The papers go straight into the garbage. However, they do not come from the cruise line, but from the Art Auction and spa (usually). The cruise line should be setting rules for the companies that have a presence on board.

To put a cat among the pigeons for those who laminate tags. Our school board banned laminating about fifteen years ago, because paper breaks down quickly, but laminated paper will remain as garbage for more than 100 years.

We have used cruise line tags, paper tags and tags put on at the port and haven't had a problem with any of them. If we use paper, we ask the front desk at our hotel to lend us a stapler to attach them.

Sheila