Penny Pinching Just a Bit Too Far

Chunky2219

Whenever we've sailed in the past there's been a nice printed brochure with all the cruise details in it plus the options for tours in port. A useful way to plan before boarding and a nice momento afterwards. Sadly, as times have moved on several operators including Celebrity have stopped doing this and you have to print your own. C'est la vie.

But even then, you could order printed luggage tags on line which were posted out. For our forthcoming cruise, it says on line that tags are not yet available so I phoned X (0844, chargeable phone number!!!! :mad:) to find that Celebrity don't even do that any more. Apparently, the contractor they use has a problem and presumably it's too difficult to pick up the phone and get them done elsewhere.

So the advice was to ask for luggage tags at check in. What could possibly go wrong? I can see me dressing for the first formal night in a tee shirt and flip flops.

C'mon Celebrity, we all want value for money and know you need to turn a profit, but you've gone too far this time.

....so I phoned X (0844, chargeable phone number!!!! :mad:) to find that Celebrity don't even do that any more.

So the advice was to ask for luggage tags at check in. What could possibly go wrong? I can see me dressing for the first formal night in a tee shirt and flip flops.

C'mon Celebrity, we all want value for money and know you need to turn a profit, but you've gone too far this time.

First, 844 is toll free. From Wikipedia:

United States[edit]

Main article: Toll-free telephone numbers in the United States

Toll-free numbers in the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) are commonly called "800 numbers" after the original area code which was used to dial them. They include the area code 800 (since 1966), 888 (since 1996), 877 (since 1998), 866 (since 2000), 855 (since 2010), and 844 (December 7, 2013).[17] Area codes reserved for future expansion include 833, 822, 880 through 887, and 889.[18]

Second, You can always print them yourself as is noted on the X site. (I actually preferred the tags I printed to the ones that are mailed since they fit better into the plastic holders I bought on Amazon... about $12 for 8 which I will use again and again for cruises.)

I think you missed are mistaken. Luggage tags are other than through Captains Club generally no longer available. Celebrity switched contractors for printing and it was and still is a mess.

My question to you is this - Why would you spend money or time to order an item that is worthless? Since the porter at the dock can put tags on your bag for no extra charge; why would anyone give it more than a free phone call to get the bloody tags?

To those who say the porter might put the wrong cabin number of your bag - Well said, but if you either simply watch them write the correct number or put a piece of tape on your bag yourself - easy and almost free - your bags wil arrive at your cabin.

And yes, if you like the paper ones, they are still available when you print out your express pass. I do not like them as it seems a goodly number are torn from the bags when handling.

If you are a member of Captain's Club just call them and order luggage tags. If you use the printed out tags you can order plastic holders that both fit them and attach nicely to your luggage from Amazon. Or the porter method works just fine as previously stated.

Anyone in reservations can order you luggage tags if you call them and ask. And if they say they cant do it, ask for someone else or call back because they most certainly can (It does not have to be Capt Club, anyone can do it).

Also, all cruise lines that I know of have switched to electronic documents, no paper anymore. It is not about penny pinching, it is about changing with the times. As technology changes, companies innovate, and that is what Celebrity did, just as all the others have as well. If they were the only ones sending paper documents, I am almost certain we would have people on here blasting Celebrity for wasting resources or being "behind the times".

Also, all cruise lines that I know of have switched to electronic documents, no paper anymore. It is not about penny pinching, it is about changing with the times. As technology changes, companies innovate, and that is what Celebrity did, just as all the others have as well. If they were the only ones sending paper documents, I am almost certain we would have people on here blasting Celebrity for wasting resources or being "behind the times".

Innovations need to be new and useful; this is certainly new, but useful? No. And it is (partly at least) about cutting costs.

Sorry to disagree but as OP says there is definitely a charge for 0844 numbers. I believe it is up to 7p a min + phone company standard access charge. Found the captain's club number on the boards as 01932834300 but not sure if this is still accurate. I have bought the holders from Amazon UK and intend printing them off for our upcoming cruise but I do agree with OP that this is penny pinching.

What other responders have missed is that the OP is from the UK. Here an 0844 is charged and Celebrity make money from the calls.

The OP is also correct in saying that Celebrity in the UK no longer send luggage labels no matter who you call.

Like the OP, both of these issues annoy me intensely.

I have always thought it was funny that Celebrity talks about "conserving" the world through various cutbacks (like mailing luggage tags apparently)(and if I remember right they specifically say on the "elite welcome letter" about saving paper by putting the cruise get togethers only in that letter), AND THEN they inundate you with enough paper invitations to shopping and auction events to fill a waste basket!

And don't get me started about how many pictures they print to display in the "pictures for sale" area that are just wasted.

First, 844 is toll free. From Wikipedia:

United States[edit]

Main article: Toll-free telephone numbers in the United States

Toll-free numbers in the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) are commonly called "800 numbers" after the original area code which was used to dial them. They include the area code 800 (since 1966), 888 (since 1996), 877 (since 1998), 866 (since 2000), 855 (since 2010), and 844 (December 7, 2013).[17] Area codes reserved for future expansion include 833, 822, 880 through 887, and 889.[18]

Second, You can always print them yourself as is noted on the X site. (I actually preferred the tags I printed to the ones that are mailed since they fit better into the plastic holders I bought on Amazon... about $12 for 8 which I will use again and again for cruises.)

The OP is not from the US though. So, unfortunately, for them it's not toll free.

Here an 0844 is charged and Celebrity make money from the calls.

The OP is also correct in saying that Celebrity in the UK no longer send luggage labels no matter who you call.

And also since they are from UK no longer possible to get tags sent out.

That's what you get for paying higher prices and having better protection laws, as is constantly quoted here :rolleyes:.

I've been using the luggage tags you print out along with your cruise documents for a couple of years. Print the tag, follow the directions for folding, put a piece of clear packaging tape over the front of the tag and then zip tie the tag to your bag. Have never had one come off. As a matter of fact I usually have to cut them off once my luggage has arrived.

I have always thought it was funny that Celebrity talks about "conserving" the world through various cutbacks (like mailing luggage tags apparently)(and if I remember right they specifically say on the "elite welcome letter" about saving paper by putting the cruise get togethers only in that letter), AND THEN they inundate you with enough paper invitations to shopping and auction events to fill a waste basket!

And don't get me started about how many pictures they print to display in the "pictures for sale" area that are just wasted.

Yep, inconsistent, isn't it? And it is all about potential revenue generation - no potential revenue in luggage tags but loads of potential revenue (and profit) in shopping, auctions and photos so they are content to absorb the cost of promoting these.

I think you missed are mistaken. Luggage tags are other than through Captains Club generally no longer available. Celebrity switched contractors for printing and it was and still is a mess.

My question to you is this - Why would you spend money or time to order an item that is worthless? Since the porter at the dock can put tags on your bag for no extra charge; why would anyone give it more than a free phone call to get the bloody tags?

To those who say the porter might put the wrong cabin number of your bag - Well said, but if you either simply watch them write the correct number or put a piece of tape on your bag yourself - easy and almost free - your bags wil arrive at your cabin.

And yes, if you like the paper ones, they are still available when you print out your express pass. I do not like them as it seems a goodly number are torn from the bags when handling.

Calling the Captain's Club and requesting luggage tags just takes a minute. Much less time than standing in a crowd of embarking passengers, and making sure the porter has your correct information. And if you did use that method, I would hope he would be tipped for extra time. JMHO.

What other responders have missed is that the OP is from the UK. Here an 0844 is charged and Celebrity make money from the calls.

Like the OP, both of these issues annoy me intensely.

Miami is still miffed about that tea Tax, that act passed by Parliament in 1773.

I bought the plastic luggage tag holders about half a dozen cruises ago. Very robust and so easy to use. Easy peasy to print the tags, fold them, and put them in the holders. E-docs are a cost savings that suit me very well!

Anybody from the UK that objects to using 0844 numbers to contact Celebrity should do what I do....use 0800 240 4291. That number has been used on all promotional material Celebrity has sent me for at least the last 2 years. I have used it a number of times previously and have just tried it now...it still works.

Calling the Captain's Club and requesting luggage tags just takes a minute. Much less time than standing in a crowd of embarking passengers, and making sure the porter has your correct information. And if you did use that method, I would hope he would be tipped for extra time. JMHO.

OP is in the UK. Rules are different there than in the US.

OP - Just print the tags out and then slip them in the plastic holders. You can find these on Amazon or here on CC I think in the "shop". It's worked great for me. I couldn't find them on Amazon UK, but they're here:

http://www.amazon.com/Cruisetags-Cruise-Ship-Luggage-Tags/dp/B007UXMQXO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459964647&sr=8-2&keywords=clear+plastic+luggage+tag+holders

We find that the pre- printed tags they mail out are sturdier than others, are color coded with your info (if done correctly) . They have the best chance of not coming undone and assist the staff get them to your stateroom promptly,..

We of course put all or info inside the suitcases...just in case,

We don't need a full set of cruise docs mailed to us..but the tags are appreciated.

We received far fewer flyers during our January cruise, most of the advertising is now done via the onboard email setup from your TV.