Skagway: Short Tour Vendors or Regular Bus/Trolley/Shuttle Routes?

3Fluffies

I'm due to return from my Chilkoot Tour around 3 pm during my Skagway stop, and the ship leaves at 8 pm.

Can anyone familiar with Skagway point me to some of the websites or suggest any local, relatively-short excursions that are available?

NCL has no other tours that leave after 3 pm. I was thinking maybe some kind of hop-on, hop-off tour, a regular bus or trolley route around the main part of town. Or are there any particular small attractions (museums, parks, etc) within walking distance of the pier?

Something that doesn't require pre-booking would be great, just so I know about it and know where to find it after my excursion returns to the dock.

• 2 weeks later...

The gold fields looks like a fun way to spend a few hours. Their website isn't very detailed, though - has anybody visited them without booking in advance? Are they in walking distance or is there a shuttle/bus I can catch from the pier?

The gold fields looks like a fun way to spend a few hours. Their website isn't very detailed, though - has anybody visited them without booking in advance? Are they in walking distance or is there a shuttle/bus I can catch from the pier?

There is the SMART bus that does have a Jewel Garden Stop, across from one of the "gold field's" tour. (you do know there wasn't any gold in Skagway????)

There is an excellent walking tour map, and a stop at the Park Service Visitor Center is interesting. http://www.skagway.com http://www.nps.gov/klgo

I don't mind if there isn't actually local gold. ;-D I used to do gem minding in the Smoky Mountains in North Carolina - the dirt was seeded all to heck, but it was still a fun way to spend a few hours, and I ended up with a nice little rock collection.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update- we did Klondike Gold Fields last week and it was wonderful! I tried calling to ask questions but never got an answer. We ended up just taking smart bus ($5 each runs every 30 min) and they brought us right there. We did sled dog presentation (offered a few times the day we were there) and panning for gold. It ended up being a highlight of our trip and the first thing my boys talk about when asked about our trip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I actually didn't get there. It was pouring rain when we returned from the train/bus/dog cart excursion through Chilkoot Charters (still a fantastic trip - such a beautiful countryside and fun excursion at all parts), so I just bought an umbrella and wandered the streets of town. Went into all the museums that were open and browsed some great shops (the usual generic souvenirs, but there is also a terrific quilting shop and some wonderful bookstores and nature stores). With spare time until boarding, I wandered the length of Pullen Creek just to see what there was to see - it's very pretty and quiet even in rainy, foggy weather.