On Freedom medical emergency heading to turks and caicos

I've been to the T&C many times and there is so little there. I wonder why they didn't go to PR or the Bahamas?

I hope everything works out.

Keep us posted.

You'd think PR would be the best shot being a territory of the US.

When I was on the Liberty a few weeks ago we had to double back on the way in to Roatan because there was evidence that someone went overboard. Scary moments but Capt. MacDonald stayed cool as a cucumber and talked everyone thru it. Turned out to be nothing. These captains are great at what they do.

Hope its not a big issue.

We had to leave a cruise in Grand Turk for my husband to go to the ER. The hospital is very new and is run by the Canadian health care system. The doctor was from Belgium and was very qualified and professional. We were quite surprised with the care he received. We left the same day and flew home. The port agent was quite good to us too.

Hope for a good outcome.

Edited by ann1bell
Add word

Wonder why they can't do a helicopter evacuation, which would be much faster. Hope they get medical help fast and have travel insurance. Wish them a quick recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

son is on freedom now. i understand there are 5 medical emergencies. that would be too many helicopters.

We had to leave a cruise in Grand Turk for my husband to go to the ER. The hospital is very new and is run by the Canadian health care system. The doctor was from Belgium and was very qualified and professional. We were quite surprised with the care he received. We left the same day and flew home. The port agent was quite good to us too.

Hope for a good outcome.

That is good to hear.

I hope the ill passenger will be alright.

Hope for a good outcome.

Glad to hear your experience was good and that all worked out for you. I hope your husband will be OK!

For those asking about helicopters, they are actually a very challenging thing to work with.

1) Weather has to be just right

2) Ship has to be within range of a helicopter. Now the consideration becomes can they get the ship within range faster and then the patient to land via chopper or go to the nearest reasonable port.

3) Helicopter has to be available

Now depending on what the medical "Emergencies" are on board dictate how long they can stay in the stabilization rooms on the ship via immediate need for further care (Again another factor for consideration). 5 is not an uncommon number for a ship.

For those asking about helicopters, they are actually a very challenging thing to work with.

1) Weather has to be just right

2) Ship has to be within range of a helicopter. Now the consideration becomes can they get the ship within range faster and then the patient to land via chopper or go to the nearest reasonable port.

3) Helicopter has to be available

Now depending on what the medical "Emergencies" are on board dictate how long they can stay in the stabilization rooms on the ship via immediate need for further care (Again another factor for consideration). 5 is not an uncommon number for a ship.

There is always a risk with a helo evacuation, both to the patient and the flight crew. The SAR flight surgeon has the final call as to whether the benefits of evac outweighs the risk to the patient.