On Freedom medical emergency heading to turks and caicos

So is FOS back in Canaveral yet? I don't see her on the webcam this morning. I also hope it isn't an illness.

Unless there was a group of folks with suppressed immune systems, I doubt a "ship borne" illness would result in a helicopter evacuation.

And, yes, she apparently docked around 0530.

Edited by chengkp75

We were the first off this morning around 7:40. Arrived about an hour late due to the stop in Turks for two medical emergencies to be evacuated. We had five or six alpha, alpha, alphas during the week. We also heard one person passed away. The Captain made a comment about the Carnival Victory not being cooperative this morning, causing us to dock later than planned. Apparently we made up a good amount of the time delay but then had to wait behind the Victory. Others listening on the marine radio may have more specifics.

It still amazes me that people are "shocked" when an alpha is called and evacts must be undertaken. Next cruise look around at your fellow passengers and any good insurance person can quote you the actuary table in regards to the age demographic of said passengers. I wish the families peace but as the saying goes "nobody is getting out of here alive" plus it isn't a bad way to go (so long as you are in that demographic.

It still amazes me that people are "shocked" when an alpha is called and evacts must be undertaken. Next cruise look around at your fellow passengers and any good insurance person can quote you the actuary table in regards to the age demographic of said passengers. I wish the families peace but as the saying goes "nobody is getting out of here alive" plus it isn't a bad way to go (so long as you are in that demographic.

Agreed. When you think about the sheer numbers on a ship, it's no surprise that there are a lot of medical emergencies. 25% of all Americans visit the ER each year. Including the crew, Freedom carries 4934 people. 25% of that is 1233.5. Divide that by the number of weeks in a year, and you can expect there to be an average of 23.7 medical emergencies on each cruise.

Used to have friends who drove for a funeral home in Galveston.

They told me in the winter months they had several pick ups a month from the cruise lines and each ship had storage space set up for three bodies if necessary.

I guess it is a reality of the business.

Used to have friends who drove for a funeral home in Galveston.

They told me in the winter months they had several pick ups a month from the cruise lines and each ship had storage space set up for three bodies if necessary.

I guess it is a reality of the business.

15 on HAL ships.

LOL Good one!

But the politically correct side for me is totally offended by this stereotyping of HAL's clientele blah, blah, blah...

Are you sure it was a joke?

My MIL was 74 on her HAL Alaska cruise and she felt young for her sailing. (and trust me, she NEVER feels young, not since I met her when she was in her lower 60s)

Not sure it's an unjustified stereotype.