The Baths w/2yr old toddler?

shygirl

We will be visiting Tortola on the Dawn in Jan. 2006. Just wondering if anyone has been to The Baths with a young toddler(2 yrs). My husband and I would like to take turn climbing and snorkeling with my older son(8yrs). Is there a alternate path to get to the the other beach (devil's beach or something like that)? That way we can meet up on the other side of the boulders and I can switch with my husband and experience the climb myself as well.We will bring along a baby back carrier for the rocky trek down to the beach. How long will it take to get through the boulders? Is Ncl's excursion starting at 7:30 long enough for the experience. I figure we might get 3 hours at the Baths. My toddler naps in the afternoon and we prefer to have lunch back at the ship anyways. I know we can go on our own and is much cheaper but I feel a launch straight from the ship will be much easier(less on and off for a toddler)

Is a morning trip to the Baths worthwile for us?

Any replies will be appreciated, especially from families with young children.

As far as there being an alternate route from the Top of the Baths to Devils Bay beach that does not involve climbing through, around and under the boulders, yes there is. As you arrive at the Top of the Baths, the parking lot slopes down to your right to the restaurant and the main trail. The alternate trail to Devils Bay starts on the uphill side of the parking lot to your left. I don't remember if a sign points it out or not but any of the taxi drivers in the lot can probably point you in the correct direction. This alternate trail is about three times as long as the primary trail but is not generally as steep. It may look deceiving at first as you will be walking away from the restaurant and the sea, but the trail does curve around and down to Devils Bay beach. If you have some time before leaving the Baths, you might enjoy visiting the restaurant and using their free swimming pool. Also, the view is very enjoyable from the restaurant toward the west. Enjoy your visit to the BVI.

Regards,

Bobby

Thanks for the tip about the path, restaurant and pool.

Should we go with the ship's excursion or on our own?

I have visited Virgin Gorda and the Baths several times during land vacations in the BVI but never from a cruise ship so I can't really advise on taking the ship's excursion or on your own. I suspect that whichever way you go will be pretty much the same procedure except that the ship's excursion may leave from the cruise ship pier instead of the Roadtown ferry terminal. In either case you will cross Francis Drake Channel from Roadtown over to the ferry pier on Virgin Gorda. From the ferry landing, you will ride in a safari taxi for the 10 minute drive down to the Baths. Since you will be in Tortola on a Friday from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM, you should have plenty of time to go on your own if you wish. Just be sure of the ferry schedule. You can check the ferry schedules on the bviwelcome.com website and then re-confirm them when you are in Tortola. Since you are on the roll-call board for your cruise, you can probably arrange to join some of your fellow passengers who are going on their own and share expenses and save some money. It is very easy to get a taxi from the Baths back to the VG ferry landing if you want to come back earlier than your group. Again, just be very sure of the ferry schedule. Enjoy.

Regards,

Bobby

Archived