best airport to fly into for Europe

Deloresgardella

I am thinking about going on a Baltic cruise next summer.:) There is one that I really am interested in that sails from Harwick. Which would be the best airport to fly into and about how long does it take to get to Harwick. :confused: Thank you all everyone on this board it has been very helpful in the past.

Delores

I am thinking about going on a Baltic cruise next summer.:) There is one that I really am interested in that sails from Harwick. Which would be the best airport to fly into and about how long does it take to get to Harwick. :confused:
It's actually Harwich (not Harwick). Harwich is on the east coast of England, about 80 miles east (and slightly north) of London.

If you're flying from California, the reality is that you will fly to either Heathrow or Gatwick. The choice between is most likely to be governed by your choice of routing (will you fly non-stop, or via a connection? which airline will you choose?).

Harwich is a port where many people use the cruise line's transfers if going directly between there and an airport, or a private car transfer. As a very rough guide, you should allow at lease 2 hours for the transfer itself from airport to port - not including the time to clear immigration, collect baggage or clear customs at the airport.

When you have more concrete plans, firmer advice can be given. Things like time of the day, and day of the week, make an enormous difference to how long it takes in each direction.

If you are starting from central London, there is a sensible public transport option for getting to Harwich in the form of a train from Liverpool Street Station.

We did a Baltic cruise out of Harwich with RCI this past May. We flew in and out of Heathrow on Virgin Atlantic.

We used RCI's hotel package as we wanted transportation to Harwich. I thought the cost of their hotel was high but we stayed at City Inn Westminster. I cannot say enough about this hotel. The rooms were great, location was good and the staff were wonderful. We arrived at a little after 9:00am and were able to get into our room. With everything I felt the cost was justified for the convenience.

The bus to the pier picked us up at our hotel and took us to the pier. I think it took a little over 2 hours - totally hassle free. Coming home we were off the ship quite early, picked up our luggage and got on the bus to the airport. Going to the airport we hit an accident so it took longer. I would not plan your air out till afternoon. We had a 1:30 flight and we did not have a lot of free time at airport. Security is long especially if they pull your carryon like they did me. They pull a lot and then get backed up so I had about 3 or 4 people in front of me that bags had to be searched. This is fine by me in this day & age but just make sure you leave lots of time.

It was a wonderful cruise and if you decide to go I am sure you will enjoy it.

Archived