Wheel chair from Special Needs Department

Thanks, feeling quite a bit attacked. Oh well, thanks for the encouragement [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We had a balcony room right near the elevators on a Celebrity cruise and our room steward told us during the day to park it in the corner out of the way and plug it in to charge as there was a outlet there.

At night we took in cabin. It was never a problem. Not saying it was right or against the rules, but 10 days went by and no tickets. Sometimes we get permission from the people who work the ships. Sorry you got the slams when you were just trying to help.

it was 90 minutes for us on that itinerary. this was also the day where we got held up at the top of the gangway for at least 20 minuets waiting for the self disembark people to clear out the gangway enough for us to make our way down.

We were told by more than one port employee that Roatan/Berlize itinerary passengers go through a more thorough passport inspection. When we did the alternate Jamaica/Grand Cayman itinerary we were out of customs and in a cab 20 mins. after leaving the ship. Big difference!

Doesn't matter which cruise as the same regulations apply to ALL cruise lines and states so on the various websites.

RCCL websites clearly states : Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation. When parked throughout the ship, they must be parked out of the way to allow safe and easy access by other guests and crewmembers.

Do you not understand that though you believed it was not an issue to place the wheelchair in the hallway prior to your leaving for dinner by doing so even for a short time impedes the safety of others that require the use of mobility equipment such a myself from moving about the hallway? In fact one doesn't have to being using mobility equipment to have had the wheelchair impede their safety.

If it's out in the hallway even for a short while it's still being stored.

I get it. It's against the rules, and COULD pose a safety hazard. But really? You need to rant here? How is putting our luggage in the hallway on the last night any LESS dangerous? It's not always easy to get in and out of the cabin doors with wheelchairs and scooters, and I can completely understand someone leaving them in the hall for a few minutes while they run in to their cabin. I wouldn't be as forgiving about leaving them there overnight, or for long periods of time. But otherwise, get over it. There is plenty of room to go around them on foot, with a scooter or a wheelchair.

There is plenty of room to go around them on foot, with a scooter or a wheelchair.

That largely depends on what ship you are one. When you start getting the cleaning carts, scooters, food trays etc out there, it can be VERY hard to impossible to maneuver through the halls. The other problem is, they ARE out there for long periods of time and overnight.

The luggage is generally gone within a couple hours.

I had a broken foot and rented one from special needs at sea it was in my room when I arrived and I left it there when we disembarked. I used a knee scooter most of the time to get around ship but sometimes the pain and exhaustion was just to much. It was expensive for a week like around 200 but priceless when I needed it.

In the room it folded up nicely and fit out of the way between the bed and the balcony door.

We were told by more than one port employee that Roatan/Berlize itinerary passengers go through a more thorough passport inspection. When we did the alternate Jamaica/Grand Cayman itinerary we were out of customs and in a cab 20 mins. after leaving the ship. Big difference!

I can't really recall the getting into ports being an issue for us, just the coming back to ship being different. For me, it was a pat down every port because the chair couldn't go through the metal detectors. It wasn't really that big of a deal, and all the port officers were very respectful. If anything, I was always through faster than my family because they had to wait in line for the detectors whereas they just pulled me out of line to do the pat down. But I wasn't in Roatan, so maybe it's different there. It was St Thomas, St Martin, Falmouth, Cozumel if I'm remembering them all correctly.

*correction- I thought you were talking about ports, apologies

Edited by 3happyferrets

I can't really recall the getting into ports being an issue for us, just the coming back to ship being different. For me, it was a pat down every port because the chair couldn't go through the metal detectors. It wasn't really that big of a deal, and all the port officers were very respectful. If anything, I was always through faster than my family because they had to wait in line for the detectors whereas they just pulled me out of line to do the pat down. But I wasn't in Roatan, so maybe it's different there. It was St Thomas, St Martin, Falmouth, Cozumel if I'm remembering them all correctly.

*correction- I thought you were talking about ports, apologies

No problem!