Insurance question...

mdaddy

I'm cruising on the Triumph in a balcony room on 4/30. I booked and paid for my wife and I to go with about 20 friends. I've never bought insurance on any of the cruises I've been on previously, but I'm considering it now. As of right now, I'm about 95% sure my wife is gonna be a no-show due to medical issues with her mother. If I get insurance, and she doesn't go, will I get any money back? Also, if I decide to purchase insurance, who should I buy it through? Carnival? An outside source? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'd doubt getting it now that the cruise is less than 3 weeks away, but not sure. I'd think it would raise a red flag. What about a cancel for any reason policy? No matter , a claim must be filed with documentation back up and that would negate the claim anyway.

I'm cruising on the Triumph in a balcony room on 4/30. I booked and paid for my wife and I to go with about 20 friends. I've never bought insurance on any of the cruises I've been on previously, but I'm considering it now. As of right now, I'm about 95% sure my wife is gonna be a no-show due to medical issues with her mother. If I get insurance, and she doesn't go, will I get any money back? Also, if I decide to purchase insurance, who should I buy it through? Carnival? An outside source? Thanks in advance for any advice.

This sounds just a bit like waiting to buy homeowner's insurance until the house starts to burn or smolder.

The time to purchase insurance is before there in a known reason to make a claim.

The exceptions are:

"Waiver of pre-existing condition exclusions" and "Cancel For Any Reason", but those must be purchased before the last minute as in this case.

Usual deadlines are 14-21 days after making *first* deposit, but there is at least one company that will allow these as late as within 24 hours of FINAL payment.

But there are a few restrictions on these, two, to avoid someone purchasing the coverage for something they already know about that will cause a cancellation.

Insurance through the cruiseline may have different terms, so you might want to check with them.

But your timing is really "iffy".

Hope you MIL ends up okay!

I asked this question yesterday (what happens if a close relative gets very ill and I have to cancel).

Answer: that person must be healthy on the day you purchase the insurance. For example, not receiving chemo or scheduled for surgery. If your MIL is already ill when you purchase your policy, they won't pay.