Mendenhall worth if mobility is a bit limited?

mlbcruiser

We haven't decided on what to do in Juneau yet, but I think we'd enjoy seeing Mendenhall Glacier and maybe riding the tram up the mt. in town for a nice view. My husband can walk about a mile to a mile and a half at most if walking on a fairly level surface most of the way.

I'm not sure how much walking is required at Mendenhall Park to get a decent look at this glacier, or if it would be worth the visit for someone with somewhat limited mobility. :confused: While I'm sure as long as there was someplace decent to sit and chill out a while, he wouldn't mind if I walked around a while, but I'd like a better idea of whether or not this would be worthwhile excursion for him?

Advice, please!

Here is the visitor guide:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3835583.pdf

There is a Photo Point (see it on the guide). This is very easy to get to for those with mobility issues. Plus the Visitor Center.

I am one that is underwhelmed at Mendenhall Glacier. I say if you are going whale watching, include it as it is near by, but maybe not make a trip out there just for that unless you really want to hike around there. There are a lot of good excursions in Juneau and getting out there takes time.

I feel the visitor center is worthy of a visit. The glacier has retreated a few miles away. They also regularly bring chunks of glaciers to the visitor centre for you to put your tongue against for a picture. But it may not be advised.

http://www.alaska.org/detail/mendenhall-glacier-visitor-center

https://www.google.ca/search?q=mendenhall+visitor+center&tbm=isch

Here's some more Juneau ideas on what to do.... if you can't decide.... "Best of Juneau" is a good combo choice to start with.

[YOUTUBE]RiaOlvSRMAk[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

It’s pretty flat out at Mendenhall Glacier and up at the top of the Tram I don’t think your husband should have too much problem with getting around at either of those areas. If you have a National park senior pass be sure to bring it, it will get you and 3 friends into the visitor center at Mendenhall Glacier at no cost. It will also get you into the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center in Ketchikan, the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center is a short walk from the cruise docks.

there is excellent video of the Nugget Falls Trail posted by cornishpastyman in the 2014 trip reports. I think that trail is about 2 miles rt so it might be too far for your husband to manage the entire trip, but might be worth a try.

Seeing this video of the trail might help you with your decision since you know best what DH can handle.

There are some benches along the way, and views of the glacier & falls at different points along the trail.

We haven't decided on what to do in Juneau yet, but I think we'd enjoy seeing Mendenhall Glacier and maybe riding the tram up the mt. in town for a nice view. My husband can walk about a mile to a mile and a half at most if walking on a fairly level surface most of the way.

I'm not sure how much walking is required at Mendenhall Park to get a decent look at this glacier, or if it would be worth the visit for someone with somewhat limited mobility. :confused: While I'm sure as long as there was someplace decent to sit and chill out a while, he wouldn't mind if I walked around a while, but I'd like a better idea of whether or not this would be worthwhile excursion for him?

Advice, please!

From what you say I think it will be OK for him. The walk to Nugget Falls is just under a mile, so there and back is on the limit of his range but Photo Point (much nearer the drop-off area and Visitor Centre) also gives a great view of the glacier. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]GOMA2HeTGJw[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you cornishpastryman for posting the video.

I would like to do the Nugget Falls trail. I am a full-time wheelchair user and mom will have her electric scooter. According to the video, the end of Nugget Trail appears to go downhill to a sand/beach-like area. My question is, would we be able to still get close enough to view the falls from the smooth level part of the trail?

Thank you for your help.

Thank you cornishpastryman for posting the video.

I would like to do the Nugget Falls trail. I am a full-time wheelchair user and mom will have her electric scooter. According to the video, the end of Nugget Trail appears to go downhill to a sand/beach-like area. My question is, would we be able to still get close enough to view the falls from the smooth level part of the trail?

Thank you for your help.

Hello

From looking at the video and from what I recall, the trail to the Falls has been made very wheel-friendly. I can't remember if that last bit of tarmac (at about 0.58) down to the sand bar is down a few steps, but even if it is you will still be within 100 yards of the Falls and have a great view. The only remote-ish thing that may foil you is if the path floods at its lowest point, but I imagine that is rare.

However, even if that happened you can get a very good sight of it all from the Photo Point area (at about 0.30), especially if you have binoculars. All the best - I hoe you have nicer weather than I did :)