Delta changed flight times for the worse!

Mona Lisa

We booked our December cruise flight in January of this year. We originally booked a 4:35 pm departure from CVG on 12/16 and from FLL a 12:45 pm departure time on Christmas Eve. After several changes, we now have a lousy time of 1:52 pm on the 16th and 2:20 on the 24th. What is their policy? Can they change flight times by almost three hours without even emailing their client? I only know because I do a periodic itinerary check.

Our kids are in school and we didn't want them to miss any time on the Friday before our cruise. Oh, and our chosen seats with about 15 other family members have all been shuffled. We were hoping to sit around the toddlers and infants so as to not bother the fellow flight passengers.

Thanks for any help. I have called customer service but they speak very poor english.

Lisa

Lisa. Booking 11 months out your should expect changes and more changes. In fact, that far out, any airline. Business survival is more important than irratating customers. Delta is now in bankruptcy, 28 Billion in debt and will do whatever they think is necessary to survive.

Lisa,

Do a search and see if you can find any better times. They changed us and I did look and find a better time. The first person I talked to said they could change us for $50 plus the new price (very considerable since we booked at great price last February.) I then spoke to three more people. Seemed like I was on the phone forever, but the last person I spoke to was able to make the changes I wanted. It won't hurt to try!

You should be able to call DL and have them change your flights to ones that are more acceptable. If the person you talk to won't work with you, then ask to speak with a supervisor. Call in with flights you are prepared to switch to.

You are still very likely to have flight times change again on you before you sail. For my 1st 2 cruises, my flight times changed at least 3 times each and that was within 30 days of sailing, one the return flight changed while we were sailing. The last several times I've flown my flights have changed, no matter the airline. In fact for my cruise next March, American changed my flight times and left me with an illegal connection in DFW.

The seat assignment problem can't be helped. You might get lucky and get them all moved back together, but as long as you are on the same flights and no kids are sitting by themselves I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, especially traveling on Christmas Eve, you might be better of with the 2:20 flight out of FLL than the 12:45. From what I've heard, FLL on a good day is backed up and can take a while to navigate. Add in one of the busiest travel days of the year and it should be a nightmare.

We recently noticed a change in one of our flights for next June that gave us a 10 minute connection time. I called to talk to them and Delta told me that they do call, but they call the closer in time flights first about changes and it can a take a while to get to the folks that are months out. She also said that usually most folks notice the changes and call them before Delta gets around to making those calls. Also, a lot of airlines will reschedule you without a fee if the change they had made to you was more than three hours. Definitely check to see if there's something else that works for you better before you call and have the info handy when you talk to them. All the airlines make changes to schedules, I think we had 5 changes to our AA flights last year. If they change a plane type for a flight, even if the times don't change, seats may change unexpectedly so keep an eye on those too. Most of all don't worry too much, remember this far out there are likely to be more changes so just hope they aren't big ones and have a good time.

Business survival is more important than irritating customers. Delta is now in bankruptcy, 28 Billion in debt and will do whatever they think is necessary to survive.

Huh? Irate customers = repeat business? Not in my world. I canceled my flights with Delta for my upcoming transatlantic cruise. They lost $1000 worth of my business and I won't consider them again.

What good is customer good will if you can't pay the fuel man or the gate leases? Your $1000 fare pales beside their $28,000.000,000.00 of debt. The airline is being downsized in the domestic business. Pensions are not being funded. It's real serious at Delta. Dumping the pensions on the US taxpayer is next.

What good is customer good will if you can't pay the fuel man or the gate leases? Your $1000 fare pales beside their $28,000.000,000.00 of debt. The airline is being downsized in the domestic business. Pensions are not being funded. It's real serious at Delta. Dumping the pensions on the US taxpayer is next.

Goodwill is key to success. Without goodwill, people can and do spend their dollars elsewhere. There are reasons they are 28 billion in debt.

It is my feeling Delta's management want the airline to fail so their golden parachutes can open. The pension will be turned over, there's no avoiding that at this point. By the way, are you a Delta employee perhaps?

I just checked what would have been my return flight - 476 on 12/3. I ended up on that one after they canceled my flights on 12/2.

It is now showing no seats available. Eight days ago, only 6 seats were sold (including mine). I find it hard to believe a 737 fills up that fast.

It looks like they are consolidating that flight. Soooo glad I switched airlines.

I am also booked on Delta for next April. I have had 2 changes so far, there maybe more before we actually go. You just have to keep checking and keep an eye on your flights. It is not just Delta, but American Airlines, Northwest,Song, alot of them are consolidating flights as they go along.I am going to stick with Delta as they got me the best deal so far, You just have to watch flights and roll with the changes:)

Ahoyematey3. I agree that goodwill and service are important. And yes there are reasons for financial problems. Most importantly, costs of operation that are greater than revenue. It is great when a business can provide goodwill, great service and great price, all at the same time. There are airlines doing just that. For 2004, the top ranked domestic airlines for service were JetBlue, AirTran and Southwest, in that order. United ranked 4th, up from 7th. Delta ranked 11th, just above their Comair subsidiary. I do not work in the airline or travel business. Never have. I have serveral times over the last 5 yrs owned stock in AirTran, profitably. Currently I do not. JetBlue and AirTran fly the youngest fleets in the US and making money. They are taking delivery of lots of new airplanes and expanding service, while the legacy airlines are reducing their size and dumping their pensions on the US taxpayer.

I just checked what would have been my return flight - 476 on 12/3. I ended up on that one after they canceled my flights on 12/2.

It is now showing no seats available. Eight days ago, only 6 seats were sold (including mine). I find it hard to believe a 737 fills up that fast.

It looks like they are consolidating that flight. Soooo glad I switched airlines.

Actually you are in the time that cruiselines start booking their flights, which is usually between 30 to 60 days out. Maybe cruiselines started taking all the seats on that flight.

Actually you are in the time that cruiselines start booking their flights, which is usually between 30 to 60 days out. Maybe cruiselines started taking all the seats on that flight.

Maybe, but I've never been on a totally sold out flight. Still doing the happy dance that I switched.

I'm flying out Oct. 30 (not that far away) and they just screwed with my seat assignment. Didn't notify me either.

Whether your flight is about ot happen or still a long time away, it seems Delta likes to screw with their customers without telling them. To me, being $28B in debt is not a big surprise. This is a poorly, poorly run company. Pissing off customers is not the sign of good managment policy. I only chose them cuz I was really stuck on flight times. I made it a one way flight. Prolly could have saved more by making it a roundtrip, but I'm sure as hell glad I didn't. Not worth the headaches to me.

Thanks for the replies. Our group contacted Delta to notify them of our dissatisfaction and to get our new seat assignments. Come to find out, they have placed my 6 year old niece and a 3 year old nephew in rows with other non-family members. Don't they even look at the ages? Oh, and one seat was given to two members in our group. So, they overbook just like cruise lines? I have terrible visions of us being stranded for hours in the airport on Christmas Eve. We are still in correspondence with them. We want it all straightened out before we get to the airport; however, the reps told us, "let them know when you check in." Heck no!

Lisa

wrp96, not to get too far off subject but what does an "illegal connection" mean? I am sorry but I dont know. thanks

Some connection times are so short that they won't let you book them together. Most airports have figured out the minimum amount of time it takes to make a connection, usually 30 minutes. If you book an illegal connection time and miss the connecting flight, it is considered to be your fault and not the airlines, plus travel insurance usually will not cover it.

In my case, when I booked, the connection time was over an hour, so I was allowed to book the flights, but AA has since moved up the departure time for my 2nd leg, which leaves me with an illegal connection. As in, it is now impossible to book my 1st flight with my 2nd flight.

Just rebooked my flight from PIT to FLL on Jan. 13. Delta had changed my original flight times and my connection time was only 7 minutes in ATL. Even though the wait time on the phone was a pain, the process was simple and the rep very accommodating.

I now have to depart 2 hours earlier but I was able to keep my original arrival time and since it was Delta's mistake, there was no fee charged. So far, I'm satisfied with this solution but don't get me wrong, I know that it could all change again and I could be starting over with some of the same nightmares that lots of others on the boards are facing. Just thought I'd pass along one small success story and offer hope to some other cruisers.

Our flights were changed significantly three times for our cruise next month. Finally, after the third change has us with a six hour layover, I requested and received a full refund.

I ended up buying tickets on Southwest for less money than I paid originally.

I have never had problems with Delta's customer service actually they are always great for me. My flights for our upcoming November cruise has changes 3 times and each time I was notified and If I didn't like the new flight I found another that I liked more and Delta switched me at no cost.The same thing has happened for our March cruise and again our flights were changed at no cost.

I will continue to use Delta as I have for over 30 years

Just as a side note has anyone seen the show airline (about Southwest).When they overbook (which happens often) they don't care what day they get you to your destination.

Ok , so now after reading this thread I am a tad concerned about our flight home on Song after our cruise in March. We will be on the ship for two weeks so we will not know about any changes they have made to our flight, so if we get to the airport and they have switched us around with out us knowing it,and we missed our flight, do they have to put us on another flight.?? And if we have booked seat numbers already , do they just move you around if they want too ?? I am not a frequent flyer, so I don't know these things. :( I don't want to sound like an idiot, but I just don't know.

Cori

Cori - I was in very much the same position. I had cruise air, custom, and they kept switching. They said they would give 2 days notice of changes, but that would do me no good at sea. I ended up cancelling the custom air. Even though it cost me a little money to cancel, I happily paid it so I would not be thinking about it on the cruise.

Delta is putting out a re-vamped schedule 12/2/05 (the day I would've flown back) so thing may settle down after that.

Archived