Miami Airport - Luggage Storage Facilities 1 week?

ruth1964

Know this is not strictly about cruising, but hope you can help. We are coming from England to Miami to cruise on NOS - Yippee!:) After the cruise we are travelling from Miami to Orlando to do the Disney/Universal touristy stuff - Double Yippee:) :)

This came about because we were able to extend our return flight home [from Miami] for hardly any extra money........ the only criteria being that we still had to use Miami as our airport for returning home.

I have booked our flights for 2.20pm with American Airlines on Sat 10 Dec 05.

So my question -

1. Is there anywhere to store luggage at the airport, so that we dont need to take all our cases with us up to Orlando? I have worked all my case sizes/weights etc., based on these internal flights rather than the international ones, so it is not the end of the world if we do have to take them all with us.

2. Any thoughts about American Airlines, regarding punctuality, not losing luggage[!] etc. Do they have a checkin at the dock and if so, would you risk using it?

3. Finally, should I have any problems getting from the NOS to the airport in time for the flight at 2.20pm [checking in a mimimum of 2 hours before]?

Thanks for any help and advice in advance - any other thoughts, especially about what to do/expect at Miami airport, would be most welcome.

Additionally I have booked the return flight back to Miami for the day before, to make sure we dont miss our flight home to England!!

Ruth1964.:D

Are you spending a couple of days at Orlando or just the same day you get back on the ship?

If you are leaving the same day as you get back on the ship then forget Orlando, you do not have time. Orlando is a couple of hours drive just to get there.

No airport will hold your luggage for more then acouple of hours before your flight.

Luggage/package storage in airports was outlawed right after the tradegy of 9-11. Don't forget to check the luggage weight limit for American Airlines since they did change for international travel for tickets issued after Oct 1st.

CaptData and NDawson,

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

Basically we are cruising back to back for 2 weeks and then instead of returning straight home after the cruise, we are extending the holiday by flying up to Orlando for just over another week.

As you state, due to 9/11, no long term storage facilities will be available at Miami so it looks like we will be taking all our luggage with us up to Orlando! I have taken into account American Airlines size/weight restrictions for the internal flights and applied those to our international flights too to make sure we don't bring too much with us.

Additionally when we return to Miami, we come back the night before, just in case of any flight problems - don't want to miss our flight back home to England:rolleyes: .

Any more information about Miami airport, American Airlines [reliability/lost luggage history] would be really helpful too.

Once again thanks to you both and also thanks in advance to anybody else who helps me.

Ruth1964.:D

As an ex-Brit from Manchester - when in Orlando airport etc keep your stuff (passports etc) in a fanny pack. Beware pick-pockets,

Miami Airport http://www.miami-airport.com/

The airport is ALWAYS crowded!

American Airlines http://www.aa.com/

Within the US upto 50lbs without charge

International 70 lbs for tickets issued before Oct 1st.

then 50lbs with a $25 charge for upto 75 lbs

Hope this helps!

Luggage/package storage in airports was outlawed right after the tradegy of 9-11.
Is this universally true? I know I used a landside luggage storage facility inside the International Terminal at San Francisco earlier this year. However, I can't find anything to suggest that there's such a facility at Miami.

Archived