UK Cruisers

TexBrit1969

I have asked this question before (nearly a year ago) but wanted to make sure that no one recently had run into snafus-

We are taking my in-laws on a cruise from Galveston with stops in Progeso & Cozumel. They are here visiting from the UK. They have their passports obviously, and their ESTA letters. It's my understanding that those will suffice. Has anyone had a different experience?

Thanks!

Edited by TexBrit1969

Hi,

The only thing I can add is as ESTA's last 2 years and if they have have one in force just check they haven't renewed their passport as the ESTA is assigned to the original passport. If they have renewed they will have to obtain a new ESTA ($14 from the US government web site)

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
I have asked this question before (nearly a year ago) but wanted to make sure that no one recently had run into snafus-

We are taking my in-laws on a cruise from Galveston with stops in Progeso & Cozumel. They are here visiting from the UK. They have their passports obviously, and their ESTA letters. It's my understanding that those will suffice. Has anyone had a different experience?

Thanks!

Please ensure that their UK passports are of the "Biometric" type, there are threads on Cruise Critic on P&O Cruises UK and Thomson cruises about this problem. Biometric passports are the more modern style with lots of extra security features. The obvious way to tell if your UK passport is of the Biometric type is to examine the front cover where the Giant Lion and Unicorn coat of arms logo is and lower down the word PASSPORT appears and below that a small "camera logo" it's like a 4mm dot with a rectangle around it in two halves. Older passports have NOTHING below the word PASSPORT. Not many people have the older style passport but it is worth checking as these are no longer valid for trips to the USA.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

If their passport looks like this, they'll be OK.

101612ab5942d29e501ddd8e228ee37f.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

That little camera logo on at the bottom on the front cover is essential.

It shows that your passport has your biometric information embedded in a little chip on the back of the information page.

All passports issued since the autumn of 2006 (& some issued earlier that year) comply, so very few folk have current non-biometric passports - but some have been caught out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36228034

If you have a passport issued in 2006 that doesn't have that logo & chip you will need a full tourist visa unless you can renew your passport before you go.

JB :)