Cash VS Credit

JustCRuSIN37

Question for everyone....

I have a friend who is leaving in a week on the BA and she is asking a question that I do not have the answer for. When you get your room card and you do not use a credit card what are your other options? Can you pay up front and get back what you don't use at the end of the trip? Is it possible not to use a credit card at all? Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can put cash on your account at Customer Service and, if anything is left at the end of the cruise, you can get a refund. If you did not pay your Daily Service Charge in advance of the cruise, it will be charged to your room each day for each person in the room so you have to remember to figure that in when you put down your cash deposit. I believe they will allow you to overrun your cash deposit a bit but I am not sure how much it is. You can also put down a credit card for your onboard expenses and just pay it off with cash on the last night of the cruise if you don't want it on your credit card. People do not suggest using a Debit Card, though, because it will end up putting a hold on the account that the Debit Card is attached to and it may last beyond your return home.

Yes, you can put cash on your account at Customer Service and, if anything is left at the end of the cruise, you can get a refund. If you did not pay your Daily Service Charge in advance of the cruise, it will be charged to your room each day for each person in the room so you have to remember to figure that in when you put down your cash deposit. I believe they will allow you to overrun your cash deposit a bit but I am not sure how much it is. You can also put down a credit card for your onboard expenses and just pay it off with cash on the last night of the cruise if you don't want it on your credit card. People do not suggest using a Debit Card, though, because it will end up putting a hold on the account that the Debit Card is attached to and it may last beyond your return home.

Thank you that is very helpful and I will pass the information along!

If you ask NCL about a cash deposit they are going to quote a large amount. When we sailed on the Gem our friend put $152 on her account (excursions and service charges had been pre-paid). She received a check for what she didn't use about 6 weeks after the cruise.

Purchased on board credits to use instead of credit card. At check in was told on board credits will not be applied until day 2. So if you want to purchase anything on day 1 you may have a problem. I put a few hundred in cash on the account and settled the account on the final morning.