What age demographic does RCI market to?

LOL

If it makes you feel better to call me annoying and inappropriate for calling your attention to disrespectful comments you made, then go ahead.

Her topic is fine but her choice of words is very condescending and I am only 30.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by ctsharpie05

I just hope you had enough respect for the people who gave you this gift and didn't complain to them about all the old people and how horrible the cruise was.

Now that you are starting to do your research hopefully you won't be so miserable next time.

Also, didn't you take some tours or did you stay on the ship the entire time? That would have helped with your horrible cruise. Things are what you make them to be.

Oh gosh, of course we were appreciative! I told my mom that it was a beautiful ship, we enjoyed the excellent service, and we really loved our verandah and the port of calls. I was honest and said we enjoyed cruising for the first time and could see how it gets addicting but we wouldn't choose that particular line for another 20+ years because of the age demographic and she understood. The whole trip itself wasn't completely "miserable" we had a blast on all the ports and really had fun on our excursions!! We dreaded having to get back on the ship because days at sea were boring, as I stated previously they didn't offer much entertainment so basically all we did was lay by the pool and listened to elevator & classical music and had a few drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't consider 39 and 40 "old". If you were on Holland America you would be considered young and if you're into dancing and enjoying a few drinks you would be given dirty looks.. it's almost as if it wasn't "proper" or "appropriate" to enjoy yourself and company .. Not even kidding!!

I would defiantly suggest reviewing your cruise and putting your input because it honestly does make fellow cruisers more informed. Had I known that Holland America was that much of an older demographic I would have said thanks but no thanks to the family member who gifted us the cruise.

Not old!!! YES!!! Haha, at 40 I have two daughters who are 20 and 16 and they seem to think we are older than dirt.

Like I said, on our Carnival cruise we were considered younger as compared to most others. The night club and bars were pretty empty after 11pm which I wish was different, but we still made the best of it.

That being said, during the days many activities were filled with people and we had a great time. If lucky, you find some people close in age and who have similar interests and spend some time socializing with them a bit.

In my eyes....its vacation, I will have a good time even if I am the only person on the ship!

Cut the OP some slack. She expressed her honest opinion about HAL, what's the big deal regarding her choice of words to convey her feelings. I'm 71 and agree that I would prefer Royal over HAL. I'm not a night owl by anyone's' definition, but enjoy the vibrancy of Royal's mixed demographic.

Oh gosh, of course we were appreciative! I told my mom that it was a beautiful ship, we enjoyed the excellent service, and we really loved our verandah and the port of calls. I was honest and said we enjoyed cruising for the first time and could see how it gets addicting but we wouldn't choose that particular line for another 20+ years because of the age demographic and she understood. The whole trip itself wasn't completely "miserable" we had a blast on all the ports and really had fun on our excursions!! We dreaded having to get back on the ship because days at sea were boring, as I stated previously they didn't offer much entertainment so basically all we did was lay by the pool and listened to elevator & classical music and had a few drinks.

There are some people here that will try and find fault and pick on every little word you say. Your post is fine or it would be gone by now. You didnt personally call out anyone here so Im not sure why anyone would be offended at what you posted. We ALL know how HAL is the Nursing home of the Seas! Like I said, I would turn down a free HAL cruise. My vacation time is precious and Im not going to be "stuck" on a ship for 7 days where everyone is much older than me and the ship goes to bed at 8pm! No desire whatsoever

Edited by ryano

Cut the OP some slack. She expressed her honest opinion about HAL, what's the big deal regarding her choice of words to convey her feelings. I'm 71 and agree that I would prefer Royal over HAL. I'm not a night owl by anyone's' definition, but enjoy the vibrancy of Royal's mixed demographic.

I agree. Geriatric is not really that strong a word. I'm not sure why it got some people so up in arms.

Never been on HAL, so can't compare it to others, but hubby and I started cruising when I was 25, I'm 36 now. We aren't now not were we ever really "party" people but we do enjoy the shows and contests. We really liked NCL, went on a Carnival once and perhaps it was just that particular ship or crowd, IDK, but found its not for us. Mainly we stick to RCL. We are both nurses so we feel comfortable hanging out with any age group, honestly I like having conversations with older generations because they can have some really great stories and insights, but I can understand wanting to be around people closer to your age. I can tell you that we've made friends on multiple Royal ships, especially a couple that we met on Freedom that was close to our age (he was a police officer at ground zero, so it felt like such an honor to meet him), and a couple from my home state in NC that was several years younger than us, all of which are still friends on FB. I think you could find a lot to do on Royal and find lots of variety of passengers to have a great time with. Good luck on your future sailings.

Thank you for being so understanding! I want to book with a cruise line and be on a ship with older people who are laid back like yourself and who enjoy the company of all age demographics. I was thinking that people who book Carnival and RC must be more laid back because they're with a lot more young people. I just wish more people like yourself were on Holland America, they were so snobbish. Although I have to say there were these two sisters who were pretty cool they must have been in their 70's and they said "you poor kids must feel like your on a floating retirement home huh?" Lol

I agree. Geriatric is not really that strong a word. I'm not sure why it got some people so up in arms.

Same here! Geesh! And then resort to calling HER names and making judgments about her character when all she said was that there was a lot of old people on the ship and she didn't like it.

I guess it's kinda like how parents get all butthurt when people complain about cruises with lots of kids.

Edited by tlatrice