Skagway Rail Excursion: RT or one-way?

karen_g

When we stop in Skagway this June, I would like to take a half-day excursion involving a ride on the WP & YR railroad. I want to do another excursion for the other half-day (helicopter), so I am interested in the the White Pass Summit excursion.

I am torn between doing the whole round-trip on the train, or else riding the train up and then coming back by bus.

Any thoughts on which is better?

It takes about the same amount of time to do the RT Summit excursion as it does to go to Fraser and get the bus return.

Which trains are available depends largely on what day you are there.

This year they are running more Steam Train excursions RT to Fraser.

I highly recommend Chilkoot Tours for the bus/train combo.

The train/bus trip has many advantages.

First on the train you will cover the exact same route both directions.

Photography is difficult & space outside or between the cars is limited.

The bus will have some stops before you reach the train station from town,

although not many as they have a schedule to maintain.

We did a round trip with Dyea Dave. Our driver Rene was an avid photographer. She stopped at some of her favorite spots along this route in both directions. Encouraged all the passengers to look for wildlife sightings or shout out if they wanted to stop for some scenic landsacpes. This vehicle was like the smaller airport parking lot shuttles. Max 20 passengers. Instead of stopping at the border, we went onto the Yukon & lunch at Carcross. You need to carry your passport.

They also have options for one way to allow for train connections in either direction. I think it was $79 each person & lunch on your own. Able to spend as much time needed at Emerald Lake & other points of interest. Check them out. We still had several hours left to visit Skagway & return to the ship

Happy Travels, John

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I am now thinking I will do a train & bus combo. Seems like that is a good way to see as much as possible in the half-day that I have available.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would also recommend using Chilkoot for their early bus up train down....that gave us the rest of the afternoon.

Any advantage to doing the bus portion first? Or does it matter? Just curious.

It was just a personal choice for us...we thought it much easier (and it was) to take the bus up which came to very near where we ported (Railroad dock) to pick us up then when we got off the train on the return we were right in town. This worked out great...I believe we took the 8:30am bus up.

No difference really--we did train up, bus down and she gave us the option of being dropped off in town instead of at the ship, so saved us a few steps and gave us time to explore a little. :D

• 2 months later...
I prefer bus up and train down... on my two visits.... the afternoon sun helped to burn off the morning fog.

A quick follow-up question for you and Ashland:

When you take the *bus up* (which I will be doing), what is the best side of the bus to sit on for best views? Does it make a difference?

Thanks again!

Sit on the right side for the bus up. The canyon is on the right side of the bus.

White is right.... Red is dead.

Thanks!