iMessage/ att-wifi and oasis

I'm trying to sort through this now but can't really get a straight answer. With att calls over wifi that was no enabled with the latest iPhone update can I use my iPhone or iPad to message my wife's phone while I am on the allure in 2 weeks? I understand I would have to purchase the 2 device package.

I'm trying to sort through this now but can't really get a straight answer. With att calls over wifi that was no enabled with the latest iPhone update can I use my iPhone or iPad to message my wife's phone while I am on the allure in 2 weeks? I understand I would have to purchase the 2 device package.

Yes, no problem.

iMessage works on wifi. So you can turn off data roaming and cellular and as long as you are both on ship's wifi you can text each other. It was like this before the latest iOS update too. iMessage has always worked over wifi.

If you use whatsapp you can message any other phone with the same app over wifi.

Voice calling over wifi is a totally different thing. Can't tell you yet how that works, or doesn't with att offering it.

Edited by MattInFLL

So no international data or roaming charges? Wifi calling won't work if cellular is turned off on the iPhone

Correct. I'd put the phone into Airplane mode and then turn back on the WiFi. That way there is no chance of cellular charges.

Correct. I'd put the phone into Airplane mode and then turn back on the WiFi. That way there is no chance of cellular charges.

I dont believe you can make calls when you turn the cellular off with an Iphone. I turned it off, connected to my home wifi and all I got was you need cellular on. Am I doing something wrong?

I dont believe you can make calls when you turn the cellular off with an Iphone. I turned it off, connected to my home wifi and all I got was you need cellular on. Am I doing something wrong?

As with many questions about phone use, the answer is "it depends".

A few years ago, you would need cellular on to make/receive voice calls. As time as gone on, carriers are starting to add voice capability over WiFi. This depends on your carrier, your phone, and your phone's software version.

Edited by clarea

I just put my phone in airplane mode, switched on my wifi and made a telephone call.

You have to download the latest iOS and then in your settings under "phone" you have to activate wifi calling and go through a couple of set up steps. FYI it took me a couple of tries for the network to accept my settings. But now it seems to work seamlessly.

Edited by MattInFLL

In addition to what Bob wrote, there are also 3rd party apps available to accomplish the same tasks. We use Google Hangouts because my wife has an iPhone and I have a Droid.

Edited by Big_G

This is SO confusing to me! So, we have AT&T, with wanting to keep in touch at home, etc...do you have to purchase AT&T packages as well as the ship package?

I have an iphone, and our parents do as well(they aren't cruising with us). So if we turned on airplane mode, but bought ship (Liberty of the Seas) wifi package, I could facetime or email them, without having to worry about AT&T charges? Or do most people do both?

Thank you!

This is SO confusing to me! So, we have AT&T, with wanting to keep in touch at home, etc...do you have to purchase AT&T packages as well as the ship package?

I have an iphone, and our parents do as well(they aren't cruising with us). So if we turned on airplane mode, but bought ship (Liberty of the Seas) wifi package, I could facetime or email them, without having to worry about AT&T charges? Or do most people do both?

Thank you!

Facetime will not currently work on Liberty.

If you want to email, then you would purchase the ship package and not have to purchase anything from AT&T.

Thank you!

Facetime will not currently work on Liberty.

If you want to email, then you would purchase the ship package and not have to purchase anything from AT&T.

To answer your other question, you only need the wifi package unless you want to make voice calls and/or send sms texts. The ATT cruise package does not provide enough data for facetime and if facetime isn't going to work over the ship's wifi, it most likely won't work over the ship's cellular system either. If you have an iphone and wifi calling enabled, you may be able to make calls and send texts while on wifi without any extra charges.

I used Email, FaceTime and IMessage last year on Oasis; along with being able to text on and off ship. I made sure to turn off cellular and turn on WiFi. My service provider is ATT, but I don't think that makes a difference.

Of course Oasis had the new super fast internet, which was blazing fast. I was able to text photos and video with no problem.

Am I wrong to feel that I need to cover everything :confused: I buy the AT&T cruise package for texts and phone calls and use my C&A comp internet (purchase more if necessary) for emails. :confused::confused::confused:

Am I wrong to feel that I need to cover everything :confused: I buy the AT&T cruise package for texts and phone calls and use my C&A comp internet (purchase more if necessary) for emails. :confused::confused::confused:

I do the same....seems there is always a need to stay in touch. I find ATT's cell package more than reasonable. Text is very inexpensive, and all Texts to you are free...even without a plan texts are only 50 cents each. Being Diamond Plus we have more than enough WIFI, however with the older ships WIFI runs at a snails pace. On the Quantum Anthem, Oasis, Allure the new FAST WIFI ran fantastic and was able to FaceTime, WhatsApp, and stream data.

As far as the ATT package is concerned, it really depends on how much calling and texting you plan to do. The $60 cruise ship package gives you 30 minutes of calls and 100 texts. Without a package, calls are $2.50/min and texts are $0.50 each to send (no charge for received texts).

I think it's a balancing act. I get both on a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean. With an iPhone and the latest software that allows voice over wifi, I can likely use ships Internet to do regular calls, send texts to other iPhones with iMessage (or anyone else through whatsapp ) plus email and browsing. I have the ATT cruise ship package for backup and to use in the ports since it carries over to Caribbean ports. But it's really a personal decision of how much connectivity you want/need and where.

As far as the ATT package is concerned, it really depends on how much calling and texting you plan to do. The $60 cruise ship package gives you 30 minutes of calls and 100 texts. Without a package, calls are $2.50/min and texts are $0.50 each to send (no charge for received texts).

This is the AT&T package I usually get and it's always been enough when we do 7-8 night cruises. I've also used their Passport package for international travel....worked great.

I think it's a balancing act. I get both on a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean. With an iPhone and the latest software that allows voice over wifi, I can likely use ships Internet to do regular calls, send texts to other iPhones with iMessage (or anyone else through whatsapp ) plus email and browsing. I have the ATT cruise ship package for backup and to use in the ports since it carries over to Caribbean ports. But it's really a personal decision of how much connectivity you want/need and where.

Thanks so much for your input.

I do the same....seems there is always a need to stay in touch. I find ATT's cell package more than reasonable. Text is very inexpensive, and all Texts to you are free...even without a plan texts are only 50 cents each. Being Diamond Plus we have more than enough WIFI, however with the older ships WIFI runs at a snails pace. On the Quantum Anthem, Oasis, Allure the new FAST WIFI ran fantastic and was able to FaceTime, WhatsApp, and stream data.

Even though we're also D+...I can't ever have too much WIFI ;)