Getaway at Olympics

negn

Just read Getaway will be used in August to house Olympic staff in Rio. Checked NCL and no dates available for ship in Aug. Men's and women's basketball teams to be housed in Oceanic ship

That's pretty cool. I didn't know that.

I wonder who actually gets to stay onboard. Just thinking about how many people each team requires beyond athletes, Since most athletes stay un the village. That is a whole lot of support staff.

I read that the Getaway would be housing members of the "Olympic Family" whoever they are. Maybe people who work for the Olympics or actual families of the athletes? How nice for them!

The athletes will mostly be in the Athlete Village and if they choose not to be, their national sport federations will need to arrange accommodations separately. Being in the village is an amazing experience but can also be distracting, especially for first time Olympians.

Olympic family would mean some of the Olympic staff (each country has its own Olympic Committees and send most of their staff to run things plus the organizing committee and IOC also have people. If there is room, they will also offer it to the families of the athletes. The NSOs will normally find different accommodation opportunities for them, but sometimes they also go off on their own.

This has been my experience, but things may be a bit different in Rio.

The athletes will mostly be in the Athlete Village and if they choose not to be, their national sport federations will need to arrange accommodations separately. Being in the village is an amazing experience but can also be distracting, especially for first time Olympians.

Olympic family would mean some of the Olympic staff (each country has its own Olympic Committees and send most of their staff to run things plus the organizing committee and IOC also have people. If there is room, they will also offer it to the families of the athletes. The NSOs will normally find different accommodation opportunities for them, but sometimes they also go off on their own.

This has been my experience, but things may be a bit different in Rio.

I wonder why the mens and womens basketball teams get to stay on the Oceanic cruise ship and the rest of the athletes don't?

Bill

I wonder why the mens and womens basketball teams get to stay on the Oceanic cruise ship and the rest of the athletes don't?

Bill

I don't think it's a "get to stay" situation, most athletes want to stay in the village. The men's basketball team for USA are all NBA players used to living a certain lifestyle and aren't all that interested in staying in the Village. They've stayed offsite ever since the first Dream Team as far as I know. The women's team is likely mostly WNBA and high level college players pretty much in the same situation.

I don't think it's a "get to stay" situation, most athletes want to stay in the village. The men's basketball team for USA are all NBA players used to living a certain lifestyle and aren't all that interested in staying in the Village. They've stayed offsite ever since the first Dream Team as far as I.e. know. The women's team is likely mostly WNBA and high level college players pretty much in the same situation.

Wouldn't want Stewie in the Village ! :eek: