How Was The Waitstaff ...

Fern Crest

We had ATD on the Pride last week and it was great.

Thanks to CruisinKaren here on CC, we asked for Fernando. Turns out that this is the same Fernando we had on the Fantasy 3 years ago and we think he's the best.

Reconnecting w/ Fernando was the highlight of our trip. He is the only person on the planet who can get our 15-year old son to get up and dance.

Breeze two weeks ago, ours would have been fine for a restaurant (albeit slow) but they were a huge disappointment compared to what we had on past Carnival cruises. I was accustomed to people knowing our names, knowing my son liked grated parm instead of an app every meal, getting to know us, getting to know them. Heck, my oldest son's first dance was with Ms. Lady on the Conquest. These waiters did not care a bit about us or our preferences. It took me 3 dinners to get a kids menu. For real, Even though I asked several times. They did start putting chocolate milk on the table on day 5 at least

Breeze two weeks ago, ours would have been fine for a restaurant (albeit slow) but they were a huge disappointment compared to what we had on past Carnival cruises. I was accustomed to people knowing our names, knowing my son liked grated parm instead of an app every meal, getting to know us, getting to know them. Heck, my oldest son's first dance was with Ms. Lady on the Conquest. These waiters did not care a bit about us or our preferences. It took me 3 dinners to get a kids menu. For real, Even though I asked several times. They did start putting chocolate milk on the table on day 5 at least

Ouch. :(

I disagree, dining room service on the mass market cruise lines is not fine dining and doesn't pretend to be anything other.

I disagree. The MDR on cruise ships tends to have a formal atmosphere, white tablecloths, formal placement of service pieces (as opposed to a single knife and fork rolled up in a napkin), wine glasses already set on the table, and menus and wine lists in a sturdy folder (as opposed to some laminated sheet).

Formal dining has a team of assistants assigned to your table. They don't have expeditors running out from the back with your food saying, "Who had the shrimp?"

Formal dining has more exotic and adventurous menu options. When is the last time you ordered the lamb shank or escargot at TGI Fridays?

Formal dining has certain traditions, such as pulling out your chair for you, placing napkin in your lap, replacing used service pieces between courses, removing wine glasses from the tables when guests don't order wine, and more formal attire for the waiters (not some apron holding an order pad).

Since my first cruise, I would say that the MDR has always been formal dining, although some traditions are starting to fade. Still, I have yet to see a MDR cross over to true casual dining. The MDR is not considered casual dining just because somebody chooses to wear jeans.

Edited by TC Cruiser

Just off the Conquest 8 day sailing last week and experienced a new waitstaff technique. I had late dining, upper level, and on the 1st night was introduced to a trio of waiters who told me they would be alternating tables throughout the cruise.

So each night, we had a different head waiter: 2 guys split 3 nights each and the 3rd fellow picked us up on the other 2 nights.

While it was nice having some diversity, the dining seemed to lose a bit of continuity as each waiter had a natural learning curve with our individual preferences.

I felt the same on our Breeze cruise last July. The waitstaff left a lot to be desired. We were told a few of our support waiters had just changed ships. I was still disappointed. the bread basket was always cold..lol...my favorite part of dinner. Hopefully, it will be better on our July cruise this year on the Breeze.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

On the Breeze last week of March. Extremely friendly and working their tails off, but I really feel they are under-staffed. I don't think a single dinner lasted under an hour and a half.

Have they cut waitstaff significantly? Does this correspond to the (possibly) eventual "morning or evening only" room steward service?

That would be a shame.

Normally, awesome. Last cruise was awful! They were slow and very confused about what we ordered. Rarely refilled drinks and couldn't pronounce any of our names (which isn't a big deal except if I correct you and you continue to do it wrong for the rest of the cruise, it's annoying.)

Our wait staff on the Carnival Freedom cruise in February were absolutely awesome! We had late dining in the Posh dining room. Head waiter was Lelaini, Rodrigo, and Irvan. They were very attentive & just made the cruise for my husband.

In fact, we went to the Steakhouse one evening and the service there disappointed us. :( Our waiter was standoffish. Actually my husband's salad had a hair in it & the waiter seemed to not understand us when we pointed it out. Maybe it was a language barrier thing? :rolleyes:

Anyway, my husband is all about cruising again on the Freedom & wanting the same wait team again!

Conquest, February Late dining. Terrible service. I'm a tea drinker, I never could get them to bring a carafe of tea no matter how I asked. One night, my glass was never refilled. Food was brought out cold. When taking dessert orders one lady was skipped. The waiters never came back until the desserts were delivered. Another night my tablemate ordered a steak. it was served after dessert.

On the Pride in Oct 2015 and Feb 2016 and had a table for two both times and the wait staff was great. Never had a problem with the staff but noticed that on our last cruise they appeared to pay more attention to details. Not sure if it is because they save time with the prep for the next sitting, no table cloths and less silverware, but it was nice. Reminded us of the past.

Imagination our waitstaff was inattentive. They ignored courses I'd ordered, our head waiter decided to attend a meeting instead of working with us.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams)

We were on the Fascination last month and ours wasn't very good, and nothing compared to my previous cruises.

We had assigned late dining. It took over 2 hours every night before we were out of the dining room. Staff was rushed and not very friendly. My daughter ordered a diet coke every night and it took forever to get, sometimes after the main meal was served. I subbed vegetables for potatoes every night, but every night I still had potatoes on my plate.

It's the little things that I let pass because I know they are all overworked and underpaid, but I definitely saw a decline in service from the wait staff this trip.

Our room steward, however, was top notch!