Strategy for SDP with 2 kids-Escape

zteamtwo

To the OP, why don't you just put each kid in a duffel bag and sneak them on and avoid all fees.

To punkincc your wrong, no matter how you slice it or dice it and justify in your own mind, your dead wrong and the lesson your teaching your kids..I'll leave it at that.

Please explain to me what lesson I am teaching kids. I buy a dining package which entitles me to 1 main and all the sides, etc, I wish to order. I order an app, maybe two if something looks really good, or maybe instead I'll have that good baked potato soup AND a salad, steak and a potato and vegetable. Dessert of course. Now I usually eat lightly, and this is admittedly more than I would normally eat at home, but I am on vacation, and it all looks good.

My kid has spaghetti or a burger and fries from the kids menu which NCL offers free of charge. If NCL feels that a child eating in a specialty is a problem, they do not have to do make this offer. They could easily say that everyone must pay, either cover or package or a la carte regardless of age. But they do not.

So I have ordered, well within the guidelines of the package, and probably much more conservativly than some. I don't know what percentage of cruisers in specialties are members of the clean plate club, but I would bet a good percentage of people do not finish everything they order. My kid has done nothing that is not above board with his kids meal which was freely offered and accepted.

So if the child wants to finish a few bites of my steak, along with her spaghetti, can you tell me with a straight face, that no child has ever been given what you did not finish? What is the terrible message that is being sent? I am not ordering multiple sides and apps to pass them along to my kid. I have already said, if the child is a big eater, then either order a la carte for them to suppliment the kids meal ( and let NCL decide what they want to do about the charge ) or buy them a package. We are talking about leftover food here, for goodness sake! No one is taking advantage of NCL and feeding a family of four with one SDP.

And if you are worrying about "messages", maybe consider modeling "judgemental" and "holier than thou". Not good lessons either.

I actually wouldn't have an issue if children would be in the Teppanyaki restaurant eating off the child's menu and also no issue with their parents giving them some of their food (since there is an allotted amount of meat and vegetables for each diner) or them getting some of the fried rice (since usually some is not eaten). I would have an issue if the cook gave some of the meat or vegetables that are allotted to the other diners to the children, since we all pay for the food we are allotted. If the cook wants to give a child some of their parents food, then that would be okay.

Perhaps you should have a meeting with the NCL brass and explain to them how you think they should conduct themselves when it comes to kids and specialties.

It is funny that you feel it is no problem in Teppanyaki for kids to eat some of the adult's paid for dinner because "there is an allotted amount for each diner". The kid did not pay for ANY of it. And when you consider an SDP meal, there is also an "allotted amount of food". The package says one main and as many apps, sides and desserts as you wish. As long as you don't go overboard, your order is your "allotted" food, and you should be free to give your kid what you can't finish, same as at Teppanyaki. In fact, at Teppanyaki, if you piled up the food I had at Cagneys alongside the food served at Teppan, I had way more food at the latter. Yet, the sharing of leftovers with a kid is ok at Teppan, but not at Cagneys. I fail to see the logic.

Last time I was at Teppanyaki, there was so much meat and rice prepared, they were literally begging us to eat seconds and even to take some to go. The first serving was so large, there was only one or two takers for seconds, and none for to go. If there had been several children there, they could all have had their fill, and not just from the parent's plate.

Edited by punkincc

You are entitled to order all the apps, sides, etc you would like FOR YOU. That's the package. Ordering something to share or give away is not within the terms of the package.

It's really not that difficult to understand, people.

If you don't want to pay for the kids to eat in the speciality restaurants, why not go to the ones included in the fare? There, they could get whatever they wanted.

The reality is that they servers will put the apps and desserts on the bill of the person with the SDP. I've never had it otherwise on my 4 cruises since the a la carte was introduced.

It's not a matter of the passenger trying to pull a fast one, it's a matter of the staff giving you a break.

For NLH Arizona, the next step as Brenda said would be for the staff to be told to stop this process. If the next step is to change the plan to one app, one meal and one dessert that has 100% to due with greed on NCL's part and nothing to do with kids eating some leftover french fries. That's not to say that won't be the plan, it's certainly been how things have been going lately with the UBP, but it's not the next logical step.

The reality is that they servers will put the apps and desserts on the bill of the person with the SDP. I've never had it otherwise on my 4 cruises since the a la carte was introduced.

It's not a matter of the passenger trying to pull a fast one, it's a matter of the staff giving you a break.

The problem is that people should continue to see this as a nice gesture, if it happens, and not something that they should count on, or feel entitled to. And if it doesn't happen, or if NCL puts a stop to it, it's not another cut back to complain about, because it's not something NCL ever promised in the first place.

Perhaps you should have a meeting with the NCL brass and explain to them how you think they should conduct themselves when it comes to kids and specialties.

It is funny that you feel it is no problem in Teppanyaki for kids to eat some of the adult's paid for dinner because "there is an allotted amount for each diner". The kid did not pay for ANY of it. And when you consider an SDP meal, there is also an "allotted amount of food". The package says one main and as many apps, sides and desserts as you wish. As long as you don't go overboard, your order is your "allotted" food, and you should be free to give your kid what you can't finish, same as at Teppanyaki. In fact, at Teppanyaki, if you piled up the food I had at Cagneys alongside the food served at Teppan, I had way more food at the latter. Yet, the sharing of leftovers with a kid is ok at Teppan, but not at Cagneys. I fail to see the logic.

Last time I was at Teppanyaki, there was so much meat and rice prepared, they were literally begging us to eat seconds and even to take some to go. The first serving was so large, there was only one or two takers for seconds, and none for to go. If there had been several children there, they could all have had their fill, and not just from the parent's plate.

I would respond to you with my thinking, but since you had to be snarky, I won't.

I would respond to you with my thinking, but since you had to be snarky, I won't.

No being snarky. Just stating that I do not see your logic. The kids have not paid for food in either location, the meals are not transferable whether they are purchased a la carte, by cover charge or by SDP. If it is wrong that they eat a parent's leftover French fry in Cagneys, why are they entitled to eat food they have not paid for in Teppanyaki? Please explain.

The problem is that people should continue to see this as a nice gesture, if it happens, and not something that they should count on, or feel entitled to. And if it doesn't happen, or if NCL puts a stop to it, it's not another cut back to complain about, because it's not something NCL ever promised in the first place.

I don't see that anyone has said that they are entitled. They have done the right thing and ordered a couple apps for the kids to go along with their hot dog or whatever, and NCL no charges them by including it with the parent's SDP. Nice of them, yes. Not sure what NCL's motivation is, but I don't think anyone believes it is written in stone.

But to go to the extreme of telling someone they can't give a kid a few bites of something is a little much.

But to go to the extreme of telling someone they can't give a kid a few bites of something is a little much.

You are the only one who keeps bringing up this straw man. No one in this thread has said that a child cannot have "a few bites" off a parent's plate. That is not the scenario everyone else has been talking about in this thread. This is what the OP asked:

Is it true that kids can probably order appetizers and perhaps deserts at specialty restaurants if they are eating the kids meal for no charge if adults have the SDP?

You are the only one who keeps bringing up this straw man. No one in this thread has said that a child cannot have "a few bites" off a parent's plate. That is not the scenario everyone else has been talking about in this thread. This is what the OP asked:
You are correct, no one has had an issue with children taking some bites from their parent's plates, it is when one intentionally orders additional items, so that their children can eat it with their hot dog or spaghetti as part of their meal, that is the issue.

That is exactly the opinion of some, and it has been very clearly expressed.

The OP also asked, in addition to the quote you posted, what suggestions others had for items which could be ordered a la carte economically for the kids. I never had the feeling they were trying to game the system. Simply looking for information.

Others have informed them, correctly, that common practice for NCL seems to be to no charge all or most of those things ordered a la carte for kids when parents have the SDP. They were also advised that depending on how much the kids eat, and whether or not they will be mostly happy with the kids meal, they should consider just buying them a package, or ordering extra apps or sides for the child to be charged or not charged at NCL's discretion. And when I say "order extra apps and sides", I am NOT saying the parent order them under their own SDP. I am saying, tell the waiter that Suzie would like a shrimp coctail, etc., along with her free kids meal.

And I will order what I fancy from my SDP, and if I can't eat it all, and Suzie wants to try the escargot, please look the other way if you will be offended.

• 8 months later...

People on this board seem to struggle with the concept of a la carte vs unlimited packages. If I walk into a restaurant and order 3 apps, 1 main, 3 sides, and 3 desserts. I'm paying per item and can share it with table mates, box it up and take it home, or throw it away. If I walk into an all you can eat buffet, clearly I can do none of those things except leave what I don't eat on my plate and the restaurant throws it away.

My BF and I often go into a restaurant, order 1 app, 1 main, and 1 dessert and split everything because that is plenty of food for 2 people. We do sometimes go into a buffet together and if one of us isn't hungry, specifically tell them that it's a buffet for one. We are cautious that the not paying person doesn't eat anything, because we haven't paid for them to eat. In my mind, if the waiter catches even a 'here, try a bite', they would be perfectly justified in charging us for 2 buffets.... both people ate.

If you go to cagneys and pay a la carte, no one gives a darn what you do with that food. You paid a per item price for it. If you go in with the SDP, you are entitled to 'unlimited' food, with the exception of multiple entrees. That's where the holdup is for people. If my BF and I walk in to cagneys and only one has SDP, like we would at a normal restaurant, and order 1 app, 1 entree, and 1 dessert to split; is that kosher? Not really, 2 adults r eating for the price of one. If we paid a la carte certainly it would be fine, but not so much when you have the 'unlimited' price... that puts it in the buffet category.

Now people are taking it a step forward and saying, 'well, I know perfectly well I can only eat 1 app, 1 entree, and 1 dessert... but what if I order multiples so I can 'try them' [emoji6] , and then, oh well, can't eat them, guess my kids will have to finish them so they don't go to waste'.

It's the same argument as ordering a drink and let your friend try it when you have UBP. Common sense is that, of course, someone can have a bite or a sip to try something new. Only you know what your intentions are and if you are intentionally ordering more than you would otherwise so someone else could eat for free... that's package sharing. If you are open w the waiter about the intentions for the kids to eat the apps and he puts it all under your SDP, I can walk out of there with a clear conscience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

People on this board seem to struggle with the concept of a la carte vs unlimited packages. If I walk into a restaurant and order 3 apps, 1 main, 3 sides, and 3 desserts. I'm paying per item and can share it with table mates, box it up and take it home, or throw it away. If I walk into an all you can eat buffet, clearly I can do none of those things except leave what I don't eat on my plate and the restaurant throws it away.

My BF and I often go into a restaurant, order 1 app, 1 main, and 1 dessert and split everything because that is plenty of food for 2 people. We do sometimes go into a buffet together and if one of us isn't hungry, specifically tell them that it's a buffet for one. We are cautious that the not paying person doesn't eat anything, because we haven't paid for them to eat. In my mind, if the waiter catches even a 'here, try a bite', they would be perfectly justified in charging us for 2 buffets.... both people ate.

If you go to cagneys and pay a la carte, no one gives a darn what you do with that food. You paid a per item price for it. If you go in with the SDP, you are entitled to 'unlimited' food, with the exception of multiple entrees. That's where the holdup is for people. If my BF and I walk in to cagneys and only one has SDP, like we would at a normal restaurant, and order 1 app, 1 entree, and 1 dessert to split; is that kosher? Not really, 2 adults r eating for the price of one. If we paid a la carte certainly it would be fine, but not so much when you have the 'unlimited' price... that puts it in the buffet category.

Now people are taking it a step forward and saying, 'well, I know perfectly well I can only eat 1 app, 1 entree, and 1 dessert... but what if I order multiples so I can 'try them' [emoji6] , and then, oh well, can't eat them, guess my kids will have to finish them so they don't go to waste'.

It's the same argument as ordering a drink and let your friend try it when you have UBP. Common sense is that, of course, someone can have a bite or a sip to try something new. Only you know what your intentions are and if you are intentionally ordering more than you would otherwise so someone else could eat for free... that's package sharing. If you are open w the waiter about the intentions for the kids to eat the apps and he puts it all under your SDP, I can walk out of there with a clear conscience.

But we're talking about children here, not other adults. My 8 year old doesn't want a 32 bone-in prime rib, an appropriately priced 5oz filet (medium rare or she complains) is perfect for her. Interestingly that's not an option...

eta: My last 3 NCL cruises both parents had the (genuine old school) UDP and we were never charged for our daughter when she ate off the specialty restaurant menus. We tipped appropriately of course. This may change on our upcoming cruise since the true UDP has gone way, and the restaurant staff have been "tipped" already (albeit a fraction of the 18% I'll wager) with our 10-day SDP. We shall see :)

Edited by socsthecat
addition

But we're talking about children here, not other adults. My 8 year old doesn't want a 32 bone-in prime rib, an appropriately priced 5oz filet (medium rare or she complains) is perfect for her. Interestingly that's not an option...

eta: My last 3 NCL cruises both parents had the (genuine old school) UDP and we were never charged for our daughter when she ate off the specialty restaurant menus. We tipped appropriately of course. This may change on our upcoming cruise since the true UDP has gone way, and the restaurant staff have been "tipped" already (albeit a fraction of the 18% I'll wager) with our 10-day SDP. We shall see :)

They do have a 5 oz filet. But that wasn't what I was addressing, if you want to order a soup/salad/app for your daughter at a la carte price and give her some of your steak; that's one thing. It's the people who want to lie and justify saying that they are going to order more food than they can eat so that they have extra food for their kids to finish off.

Again, it sounds like the waiter is usually put all the apps and sides on the SDP check anyway. But I'm not willing to order things I don't care to have and way more food than I need to 'decide I'm full or don't like it' just to have something free for the kids.

If you child can't eat enough to justify the a la carte entree or SDP price and they order something off the kids menu and the have a few bites off your meal to try it, I can't see anyone having an issue with that. It's ordering multiple appetizers and sides specifically because it's what they want to eat it. That's what's good about the A la carte pricing. Instead of paying a $20 per head price they can get a free kids meal and then you can just pay the extra $8 for an app or $2 for a specialty side that they would like.

But if they want an adult meal, say a soup, 5 oz fillet, and cheesecake, why wouldn't they pay adult prices? Every kids menu I've seen in a restaurant is like NCL's, if they want a steak dinner on land you would have to pay for it.

Edited by sanger727

On the gem in ia bistro we order the main course for my son because we knew he likes it. We were planning to pay a la carte price as we has sdp. We were not charged. I did not asked questions on why I knew it's possible. His item was on the bill but all was zeroed out. He only are half maybe that's why.

Ps. The kids menu is too boring . I wish kids could order from the main dinning hall room menu when dinning in speciality.

Edited by ilsh75