snorkling at the GSC

myra711

Where would you recommend a novice snorkeler (read "stays on surface of the water") to go for a good experience? I've only snorkeled twice - once in Hawaii many years ago, and once on my first cruise to GSC. The island is very different now. Do I have to take an excursion to get a fun experience and see exotic fish?

Thanks!

I was just at GSC two weeks ago and snorkeled right off the beach. Not the best reef I've been to (for coral), but saw plenty of fish and other creatures! Also, some friendly stingrays came swimming around the shallows just to say hello...no snorkel needed for those!

Edited by zackarykeef

• 4 weeks later...

I am confused...I just checked the GSC excursions...and it seems they no longer offer equipment rental to snorkel on your own off the beach...:eek:

They only have a guided excursion listed...not what we want.

Does anyone know if we can still rent equipment?

I am confused...I just checked the GSC excursions...and it seems they no longer offer equipment rental to snorkel on your own off the beach...:eek:

Hoping someone can answer this...we are leaving next week....;)

I do not want to call NCL...with the question...knowing I may not be getting correct info..:rolleyes:

The "Fate of the Fancy Snorkel Adventure" is not a guided excursion. It gets you the equipment and a paper map (yes really) of the underwater "exhibits". You can then use the equipment all day anywhere on the island.

You can also rent just a vest or just fins if you have some of your own equipment. Vests are required.

The "Fate of the Fancy Snorkel Adventure" is not a guided excursion. It gets you the equipment and a paper map (yes really) of the underwater "exhibits". You can then use the equipment all day anywhere on the island.

You can also rent just a vest or just fins if you have some of your own equipment. Vests are required.

Thank you...!

The excursion you cite is not listed for the Gem...only" Reef Snorkeling and Sandbar Getaway " at $55 pp. !!!! And only at 1PM..

We just want to snorkel at the beach on our own..early in the day...;) As we have done before...and were surprised equipment rental is not listed as it always was..(for about $25 as I recall).

Thank you...!

The excursion you cite is not listed for the Gem...only" Reef Snorkeling and Sandbar Getaway " at $55 pp. !!!! And only at 1PM..

We just want to snorkel at the beach on our own..early in the day...;) As we have done before...and were surprised equipment rental is not listed as it always was..(for about $25 as I recall).

It's sold out for our sailing! It's been selling out quick. I'm surprised.

Hoping someone can answer this...we are leaving next week....;)

I do not want to call NCL...with the question...knowing I may not be getting correct info..:rolleyes:

We were at GSC two weeks ago. Lots of snorkel equipment for rent. Have a great cruise!

I know this is a silly question, but can we bring our own snorkeling equipment? And just snorkel off the beach on our own? Or do we only get to swim in designated spots?

You can bring your own but vests are required so you will have to bring one or rent one.

You can bring your own but vests are required so you will have to bring one or rent one.

Only if the lifeguards catch you ;)

I snorkeled the entire time without a vest, and didn't have an issue. Then again, I didn't go on the guided trail...I just snorkeled on my own elsewhere.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure vests are only $5 if you have to rent them. Happy snorkeling! :D