Miracle, Liberty or Splendor. Which would you choice?

JROBTX

So for over year now, I have been planning a land based trip along the Pacific Coast Highway with my mom. It's planned for the 3rd week of May. Family drama:( is seriously threating that trip.

Trying to get my mind off of it for a little while, I started researching alternatives. I really could use the break even if I have to go by myself.

This was going to be a once in the lifetime trip. We were staying in some really nice hotels so the budget was pretty big. The money is saved. Everything we have is cancelable/refundable.

1. Since our airfare starts and ends in LA. I found a 7 day cruise to the Mexico Rivera on the Miracle. Ports are Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta.

2. Getting the refund from my airfare and leaving my home port of Galveston on the Liberty. 5 day cruise to Cozumel and Progresso. - this one I would have to move up my vacation to 2nd week in May but I think that's ok if I decide soon.

3. Get refund from airfare and purchase airfare to Miami for 5 day cruise on the Splendor - Grand Turk and Amber Cove.

On all the above, I'm looking at balcony rooms. I'm afraid after all the stress I'll sleep the cruise away in an interior room. This would be my first solo cruise. I've always cruise with a big group.

I'm also considering going to Vegas with my dad (which might make the family drama worse:() or just saving the vacation days and dollars and taking a lot of long weekends this summer.

I already have a cruise on the Breeze planned with my friends in October to Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay.

So experiences cruisers...what would you do? Pros /cons of ships/ports selected.

I'm giving the situation another week to resolve itself before I pull the trigger on cancelling the trip.

Miracle.

She's scheduled to sail the other side of the Pacific as soon as Carnival can get another big ship out to the West Coast.

Edited by SadieN

I kind of like option 5: taking several long weekend trips. I have found that I really enjoy those. Instead of putting all my time off & money into one week, I spread it out over several small trips. More to look forward to spaced not too far apart, more variety. No cruises for over a year and a half, and I have barely noticed. One of those long weekends was a short trip up to Portland, exploring the Columbia River Gorge & the Oregon coastline. Spectacular!!!

For the cruise options, I would definitely take the Miracle out of LA. Splendor's 2 ports are easy cheap ports, but still very nice. Liberty's offer opportunities to do some exploring. And I do prefer ships like Liberty to ships like Miracle, but the 2 extra days are the deciding factor for me.

My first cruise last year was on the Miracle and we had a GREAT time- and I just got off the Liberty last month. I'd very happily do EITHER of them, same iteneraries even, again.

The Miracle has some of the 2.0 Upgrades (no Guy's burgers, but it has the Alchemy Bar, which is, IMO, the most important upgrade :P). The Serenity area has a pool, which is really nice, and the location is fantastic. No movies-under-the-stars on Miracle, though.

The Liberty has a quieter aft pool (which may or may not be adults only- I honestly couldnt' tell but we never did see any kids in it), and the pools were a little bigger than on Miracle (unsurprising, it's a bigger ship). We enjoyed the Movies Under The Stars but it honestly wouldn't be the deciding factor between the two ships, nor would GUy's Burgers, although we definitely enjoyed that too.

I *did* like our ports on Liberty better than the MIracle ports, but I'm not honestly sure that was as much because of the ports as because I got better at planning what we would do. (I think this was much more of the difference in the enjoyment than the actual quality of the ports.) We did a timeshare pitch freebie at Mazatlan and enjoyed it a lot; the other two ports we went snorkelling/beach trip. At Puerto Vallarta, we were out on a really lousy boat and I wouldn't do that again (not the fault of anyone but me- I did a bad job planning it) and at Cabo, we were at Pelican Island, which I *really* would not recommend to anyone who is not fairly athletic, as getting on/off the water taxis is kind of terrifying if you're not very agile. (Our plan had been to go to Medano Beach, but it was closed because of the hurricane that had just blown through.) We had a great time on the Miracle Trip, but I think port-wise, I enjoyed the Liberty's stops more- we went to Chankanaab in Cozumel. (The Liberty's otehr current port is, IIRC, Progresso, which I have not been to, so can't comment, and the other port I really feel like I have nough info to give a good comment on is Costa Maya, which isn't on most of the current iteneraries for the Liberty, I think?)

The shopping was better on the Mexican Rivera ports- yes, it's 90% tourist junk but we found some fun unique stuff mixed in; everything at Costa Maya and Cozumel seemed to be made in China. This wouldn't be enough to stop me going back, though, for sure- just money I didn't spend! :D

I think you'd have a great time on any of your options, honestly. PERSONALLY, I'd probably go with whichever's cheapest, and see if I could swing a weekend trip or two with the savings.

I'll start with the family drama as you call it. A vacation to get away from it should be at least a full week, more if you can handle it. Travel time to the port can be the start of some personal decompression, but if you truly need to rekindle your battery, you may not be able to start relaxing until you are on board and sail away, leaving those issues behind you.

Take the longest cruise possible. 7 days on the Miracle. Just do a ship excursion or stay on board the ship in PV.

You might to do some research on NCL I've been thinking about solo cruising lately and they seem to be the only ones to offer some great solo rates.

NCL is also offering some great promotions. I'm going on the Liberty soon myself and can't wait, but since it's your closest port, I wouldn't do that. It's too easy to do any other time! I'd go on the Miracle too...for the 7 days more than anything

So for over year now, I have been planning a land based trip along the Pacific Coast Highway with my mom. It's planned for the 3rd week of May. Family drama:( is seriously threating that trip.

Trying to get my mind off of it for a little while, I started researching alternatives. I really could use the break even if I have to go by myself.

This was going to be a once in the lifetime trip. We were staying in some really nice hotels so the budget was pretty big. The money is saved. Everything we have is cancelable/refundable.

1. Since our airfare starts and ends in LA. I found a 7 day cruise to the Mexico Rivera on the Miracle. Ports are Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta.

2. Getting the refund from my airfare and leaving my home port of Galveston on the Liberty. 5 day cruise to Cozumel and Progresso. - this one I would have to move up my vacation to 2nd week in May but I think that's ok if I decide soon.

3. Get refund from airfare and purchase airfare to Miami for 5 day cruise on the Splendor - Grand Turk and Amber Cove.

On all the above, I'm looking at balcony rooms. I'm afraid after all the stress I'll sleep the cruise away in an interior room. This would be my first solo cruise. I've always cruise with a big group.

I'm also considering going to Vegas with my dad (which might make the family drama worse:() or just saving the vacation days and dollars and taking a lot of long weekends this summer.

I already have a cruise on the Breeze planned with my friends in October to Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay.

So experiences cruisers...what would you do? Pros /cons of ships/ports selected.

I'm giving the situation another week to resolve itself before I pull the trigger on cancelling the trip.

I get family drama. I uninvited my whole family from the Passover Seder last year. I invited Catholic friends who had never experienced a Seder before instead.

Sorry you are going through this.

Having sailed all three ships, I vote for Miracle.

1) She's a beautiful ship.

2) All of the aft Lido is Serenity with a pool.

3) She's leaving to go to China in 2018 so take your chance to sail her.

4) Seven days vs. five??? That's an easy one.

5) Mexican Riviera ports are wonderful.

Splendor is my next vote.

1) She's a great ship, with lots of pink decor, which I LOVE!

2) The entire aft deck is wide open to the sun, the breeze, the sounds of the ocean. It's not Serenity but there is one without a pool.

3) Grand Turk has a really nice beach right off the pier. Have not sailed to Amber Cove yet.

4) Five days vs. seven??? Need I go there?

Liberty is my least favorite ship of Carnival's fleet.

1) I don't like her layout.

2)The adult pool is aft but it's recessed into the ship so there's not a lot of room there.

3) There is Serenity but without a pool.

4) Cozumel and Progresso...meh

5) I'm biased against Liberty so...

6) Five days vs. seven??? Why is this even a decision?

I wish you peace.

Edited by stargate fan

I would do the seven day...and try to add a long weekend with your budget..I don't drink alot but like nice drinks and that alchemy bar sounds perfect..so is the size of the ship and when those ships clear out...it is amazing service on lido with views..wonderful in Cabo..like your own living room with a world class view in middle of it all on the ship....personal table view and your own butler for an afternoon!!

I love Stargate fan's post, it came in while I was typing. I so get the drama too...I too wish you peace. You have to plan right in Mexico, sadly not what it was in 70's and my folks had several trips before and during great times in their marriage as well as retirement.

But time never stands still..I have read about super snorkel and special hotel trips on the Riviera itinerary too..check port board.

If you have time you could pick a cool area in LA to chill as well.

Edited by sjn911

You might to do some research on NCL I've been thinking about solo cruising lately and they seem to be the only ones to offer some great solo rates.

I did look at NCL and the studio. They are so cute!

I get family drama. I uninvited my whole family from the Passover Seder last year. I invited Catholic friends who had never experienced a Seder before instead.

Sorry you are going through this.

Having sailed all three ships, I vote for Miracle.

1) She's a beautiful ship.

2) All of the aft Lido is Serenity with a pool.

3) She's leaving to go to China in 2018 so take your chance to sail her.

4) Seven days vs. five??? That's an easy one.

5) Mexican Riviera ports are wonderful.

Splendor is my next vote.

1) She's a great ship, with lots of pink decor, which I LOVE!

2) The entire aft deck is wide open to the sun, the breeze, the sounds of the ocean. It's not Serenity but there is one without a pool.

3) Grand Turk has a really nice beach right off the pier. Have not sailed to Amber Cove yet.

4) Five days vs. seven??? Need I go there?

Liberty is my least favorite ship of Carnival's fleet.

1) I don't like her layout.

2)The adult pool is aft but it's recessed into the ship so there's not a lot of room there.

3) There is Serenity but without a pool.

4) Cozumel and Progresso...meh

5) I'm biased against Liberty so...

6) Five days vs. seven??? Why is this even a decision?

I wish you peace.

I love all your points. Thanks for the good thoughts! That's neat that you invited friends that hadn't had that experience.

I would do the seven day...and try to add a long weekend with your budget..I don't drink alot but like nice drinks and that alchemy bar sounds perfect..so is the size of the ship and when those ships clear out...it is amazing service on lido with views..wonderful in Cabo..like your own living room with a world class view in middle of it all on the ship....personal table view and your own butler for an afternoon!!

I love Stargate fan's post, it came in while I was typing. I so get the drama too...I too wish you peace. You have to plan right in Mexico, sadly not what it was in 70's and my folks had several trips before and during great times in their marriage as well as retirement.

But time never stands still..I have read about super snorkel and special hotel trips on the Riviera itinerary too..check port board.

If you have time you could pick a cool area in LA to chill as well.

We had the Alchemy on the Freedom last year and I loved the chocolate drink. I think it was called the Antioxidants. So much better then the martini.

Y'all rock!! Everyone had very good points. This was what I was looking for!!!

I'm going to give it another week to see if things get better and we can take our trip as planned. But if it doesn't then, I'm going to use my existing airfare and spend 7 days on the Miracle and 2 days in LA. :D

I'll start with the family drama as you call it. A vacation to get away from it should be at least a full week, more if you can handle it. Travel time to the port can be the start of some personal decompression, but if you truly need to rekindle your battery, you may not be able to start relaxing until you are on board and sail away, leaving those issues behind you.

Take the longest cruise possible. 7 days on the Miracle. Just do a ship excursion or stay on board the ship in PV.

I like the way you think. The reason I didn't pick 7 day in Galveston was I didn't want to do the same ports as I'm doing in October and I'm done the other ones.

Y'all rock!! Everyone had very good points. This was what I was looking for!!!

I'm going to give it another week to see if things get better and we can take our trip as planned. But if it doesn't then, I'm going to use my existing airfare and spend 7 days on the Miracle and 2 days in LA. :D

Yeah you!! You gotta love em..and keep giving them chances like I beleive the guy upstairs does us.....but then you gotta LET go totally too and it is a very hard balance, I know, I know......love the plan!!

We had the Alchemy on the Freedom last year and I loved the chocolate drink. I think it was called the Antioxidants. So much better then the martini.

For my next Carnival cruise it is on the list....thanks..lol ..love the name.

I did look at NCL and the studio. They are so cute!
Why cruise on Carnival solo and get hammered with the 200 % upcharge and have to pay a bar tab on top of it? Choose NCL and their studio cabins and you could either sail out of Miami on their newest, the Escape or the Getaway or go on the Breakaway out of NYC to Bermuda. And with their current promo, you also get a free unlimited drink package. (All you pay is the 15% gratuity) If you're not a drinker, then you can get 3 nights of specialty dining instead. :)