Atlanta to Ft Lauderdale

CJMini

Hello all,

Hoping I might receive some suggestions --

My son and his bride (as of Nov 2016) will be celebrating their honeymoon on Freedom of the Seas. They plan on departing Atlanta by car the day before cruise departure. They are looking for suggestions for a hotel and nice restaurant as they will be celebrating her birthday.

My knowledge of Florida tells me once you transit through the Orlando area there isn't a lot of choices until you reach the coast of Florida. The ship is due to depart at 5:30 pm so there isn't a need to wake at zero dark thirty to head for Ft Lauderdale.

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

C.J.

Instead of driving 9 hours and paying parking have they considered flying?

They could fly for $34 each way via Spirit. A checked bag is $30 each way. 9 hour drive they might be divorced by the time they get there JOKING lol.

If they are going in November it's to early to book flight. Spirit deals are always around a month before departure so just have them start watching prices mid September. Multiple flights per day between FLL n ATL.

When you factor in the gas, parking and what 18 hours of driving is worth to them it's cheaper to just fly. Taxi to port from airport is no more then $20.

Edited by jb456

It's an easy drive when leaving a day early to spend the night before the cruise.

The full service Holiday Inn (convention center) in Melbourne (on I-95) is a convenient stop. Has a bar, very decent restaurant, and safe parking. :)

Spirit has the worst record and customer satisfaction of any airline on the planet.

I'd also drive before I'd fly them! LOL!

That said, I'd drive to Palm Beach, spend the night at either The Breakers or The Brazillian Court and have dinner at Taboo.

If they leave Atlanta by 6AM, they will avoid the morning traffic there and be in Palm Beach by 3PM.

Or they could leave after rush hour traffic in Atlanta and drive to Orlando. I would stay at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando. TONS of fantastic restaurants.

Spirit has the worst record and customer satisfaction of any airline on the planet.

I guess to each their own as some would put it. We use Spirit from Canada (Well across the border to FLL) 7 or 8 times a year for the last couple years and have always had excellent service. Sure it's not as spacious as other airlines but when your paying $68 roundtrip compared to $550 from Canada nothing to complain about :)

Edited by jb456

Anyways there are many other airlines from ATL to FLL if you don't like Spirit.

Southwest is usually $44 to 80 and I believe first two checked bags are free....then Delta and AA usually run in the $70s price range.

It still comes to cheaper then driving. Say $100 roundtrip in gas, $150 hotel, plus parking for week while on cruise..

Pretty much breaking even or cheaper plus saving 18 hours of your life from driving.

If the ship is scheduled to depart at 5:30, they should be on the ship by 3:30. So depending on where they are coming from that day, they might need to wake up at zero dark thirty!

A good place to stay south of Orlando is Vero Beach. It takes about 2 hours from I95 in Vero Beach to drive to the port. I like Ocean Grill in Vero Beach as a unique dining spot.

CJ, my route to and from Atlanta from Hollywood, FL.

I95 to, I295 to, I 10, to I75.

This avoids $50 in tolls, but adds 35 miles to the trip.

(Now with a triple axle race car hauler)

Of course, the tolls will not be that much, but it's still a large bite. I'd take your route to save the money and to have better lodging options between Central Florida and WPB. You'd want to get a little farther than Orlando. But WPB may be a little too far. Someone mentioned Vero Beach, and that may be perfect.

One disadvantage. I-95 route is much more crowded than the turnpike.

That said, I'd drive to Palm Beach, spend the night at either The Breakers or The Brazillian Court and have dinner at Taboo.

If they leave Atlanta by 6AM, they will avoid the morning traffic there and be in Palm Beach by 3PM.

Or they could leave after rush hour traffic in Atlanta and drive to Orlando. I would stay at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando. TONS of fantastic restaurants.

Have flown Spirit multiple times with very, very few problems. I'm talking approx. 15 R/T flights.

Instead of driving 9 hours and paying parking have they considered flying?

They could fly for $34 each way via Spirit. A checked bag is $30 each way. 9 hour drive they might be divorced by the time they get there JOKING lol.

If they are going in November it's to early to book flight. Spirit deals are always around a month before departure so just have them start watching prices mid September. Multiple flights per day between FLL n ATL.

When you factor in the gas, parking and what 18 hours of driving is worth to them it's cheaper to just fly. Taxi to port from airport is no more then $20.

I'm booked on Spirit in Oct.to FLL and very reasonable rates showing from Ohio.

I guess to each their own as some would put it. We use Spirit from Canada (Well across the border to FLL) 7 or 8 times a year for the last couple years and have always had excellent service. Sure it's not as spacious as other airlines but when your paying $68 roundtrip compared to $550 from Canada nothing to complain about :)

Have flown Spirit multiple times with very, very few problems. I'm talking approx. 15 R/T flights.

LOL! I'm not giving y'all my opinion but they are literally ranked the worst airline.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/20/pf/airline-customer-satisfaction-report/

http://www.ibtimes.com/best-worst-airlines-2016-spirit-airlines-ranked-worst-delays-passenger-complaints-2313971

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/18/spirit-airlines-triggered-the-most-complaints.html

I flew one time from Myrtle Beach to Boston on a direct flight with a girlfriend and they lost her luggage. On a direct flight.

Not only did they not care, she was never able to get in touch with anyone ever at Spirit and never got her luggage or a single cent from them.