Boston to Rome - Another Choice Air Question Thread...

jay&cheryl44

Hey gang,

I just put a deposit on our honeymoon 11 nigh Eastern Med cruise on Celebrity Reflection leaving August 29th.

I have been reading about choice air and the pros and cons and think I have a good handle on things. However choice air is about $400 cheaper on most flights except for TAP Portugal.

Question 1 any thoughts on TAP Portugal - they fly the a330-200 out of Boston to Libson.

We will be flying economy.

Question/Thought 2-

When looking at flights on choiceAir you don't get a ton of info, but you do get flight numbers. So I can cross reference those flights on orbitz or the airlines site to see what type of plane it is and all the details.

I can then find the flight and plane I want to fly book it for cheaper on choiceair then immediately using my reservation number go on the airline site and reserve my seat using info from Seatguru.

How does that sound?

My whole thing is I have not flown international before (just to cancun on Iceland Air Charter with Apple Vaca's AWESOME PLANE!) - and I want to make sure I fly with a good airline in a decent plane for a long haul trip.

TAP portugal looks good if you get one of the newwer A330's but I do not know how to determine that, but as far as Delta AA, Aer Lingus, Air Canada ect. I have no idea.

Also want to pick flights with good layovers nothing crazy so really trying to do my due diligence.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Hey gang,

I just put a deposit on our honeymoon 11 nigh Eastern Med cruise on Celebrity Reflection leaving August 29th.

I have been reading about choice air and the pros and cons and think I have a good handle on things. However choice air is about $400 cheaper on most flights except for TAP Portugal.

Question 1 any thoughts on TAP Portugal - they fly the a330-200 out of Boston to Libson.

We will be flying economy.

Question/Thought 2-

When looking at flights on choiceAir you don't get a ton of info, but you do get flight numbers. So I can cross reference those flights on orbitz or the airlines site to see what type of plane it is and all the details.

I can then find the flight and plane I want to fly book it for cheaper on choiceair then immediately using my reservation number go on the airline site and reserve my seat using info from Seatguru.

How does that sound?

My whole thing is I have not flown international before (just to cancun on Iceland Air Charter with Apple Vaca's AWESOME PLANE!) - and I want to make sure I fly with a good airline in a decent plane for a long haul trip.

TAP portugal looks good if you get one of the newwer A330's but I do not know how to determine that, but as far as Delta AA, Aer Lingus, Air Canada ect. I have no idea.

Also want to pick flights with good layovers nothing crazy so really trying to do my due diligence.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Are you flying Boston to Lisbon, or Boston to Rome (your title to this thread)?

Alitalia has a non-stop Boston to Rome.

They also have a "Premium Economy" class that is nice.

It's a "real" premium category, with wider, more comfortable seats, more space, etc., not just "more legroom" like with some airlines.

If you can afford the splurge for your Honeymoon (Best Wishes to both of you!), I'd recommend it.

It's a "real" premium category, with wider, more comfortable seats, more space, etc., not just "more legroom" like with some airlines.

If you can afford the splurge for your Honeymoon (Best Wishes to both of you!), I'd recommend it.

Flying to Rome but the 1 stops are more affordable.

Choice Air does have an affordable ticket for that Non-stop out of boston though, just read the reviews of Alitalia and they were not so good so shyed away.

I will splurge for the premium economy but depends on how much the splurge is! ;)

Thanks for the response.

Flying to Rome but the 1 stops are more affordable.

Choice Air does have an affordable ticket for that Non-stop out of boston though, just read the reviews of Alitalia and they were not so good so shyed away.

I will splurge for the premium economy but depends on how much the splurge is! ;)

Thanks for the response.

We've flown that BOS-FCO-BOS trip twice in 2 years.

The first time was in that Premium Economy, so we don't have any direct experience with the regular coach cabin seats/service.

The second time, was *supposed* to be Premium Economy again.

However, Alitalia changed the equipment - both directions!? - and... they upgraded us to their flat bed first/business class :)

We still joke that it was a plot... that they spoiled us.

It made a remarkable difference.

The outbound overnight flight (complete with nicely served dinner) was the more helpful of the two flights.

(We are older, and finding that sitting up for long flights just isn't so great for these aging bones. AND we have a zillion frequent flyer miles/points to use for flat beds on longer flights now. It's time to start using them!)

We had no complaints with the service either time, and we'll definitely complain when warranted.

Flying to Rome ....

There might be a little confusion. I believe GeezerCouple suggested you try the Premium Economy on Alitalia. Since you have decided to try TAP Portugal, the only splurge option you have is business class.

We came home last fall on an "X" TA, Rome to Fla. We used their choice air, we flew TAP, MIA to Lisbon, Lisbon to Rome. No problems, no issues, it was comfortable enough for the amount of time we were on the plane(s). We've done 5 TA's and have always used the cruise line's air as it was always significantly less $$$ than anything I could come up with on my own.

Back to your original question about seats, I usually check seat guru while I am booking with choice air to make sure I get good seats. Then, once it is all booked I go to the airline's web site and make sure I got the seats I requested....if I did not, it has happened, I have been able to change to the seats I want.

• 4 weeks later...

Another vote for Alitalia premium economy! We flew Rome to Miami last June and were pleasantly surprised. I had read all the bad reviews and fretted and questioned my decision for weeks before the flight. It was the only direct route. The old joke about the "real reason" the Pope kisses the ground when Alitalia lands come to mind. The service, food, new clean plane and amenity kit were the best we have had in many years. When on board I kept thinking to myself...what were all those bad reviews about. Certainly in our experience I would not hesitate to recommend Alitalia. I know they have a reputation for loosing luggage. Again, we did not have any issues.

Edited by Cancun01