Zika question for recent cruisers

We have a cruise coming up in a few weeks to affected areas, plus a week in Orlando. I've been following the CDC's updates and am planning accordingly.

http://www.consumerreports.org/insect-repellents/mosquito-repellents-that-best-protect-against-zika/

We don't want Zika, even though most of us are not of childbearing age. So we're taking precautions. This is the latest and greatest consumer report article on the best mosquito repellent systems. We purchased the Sawyer system, including the Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin, Premium Permethrin Clothing spray and SPF 50 Stay-Put System Sunblock lotion. Just a note, mosquito repellent (spray or lotion) should be applied AFTER sunblock but it may weaken the sunblock due to the chemicals in the repellent.

Zika has appeared in US Territories, just not within the CONUS yet. It is now a level 2 Alert by the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/

Liberty of the Seas had the following announcement in our Day 1 Cruise Compass:

https://goo.gl/photos/pfVMU5yMMGUgTbak9

Edited by M_BA
Corrected photo link.

My wife and I were both diagnosed with Zika after returning from an 8 day cruise on Navigator of the Seas. Our cruise left Ft. Lauderdale on March 19th and returned on March 27th with stops in Labadee, San Juan, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten. We took the necessary precautions by bringing Off with DEET and spraying ourselves but we forgot to apply it while in both St. Kitts and St. Maarten. Given the 3-7 day incubation period we were probably bit in either Labadee or San Juan. I can tell you that I never saw or felt the bites but I did have 3 of them on my right shin on or about the 2nd or 3rd day of our cruise. I can also tell you that those of you who are saying that the particular strain of mosquito carrying the virus is active during the day are ABSOLUTELY correct! This was also confirmed by our doctors. My symptoms started on the 7th day of our trip when I noticed a rash developing on my upper torso. My wife did not see her symptoms, fever and rash, start until 2 days after we returned from our trip. We then started getting all of the symptoms, fever, body aches, chills, whites of our eyes were pink and general malaise, along with the already existing rash. My wife's doctor said that she had seen an increase in patients claiming to have the virus in March but none as serious as hers. She also said that she could draw a blood sample to be certain but it would need to go to the CDC for testing and could take up to 3 weeks to get the results. We were given direction to take Tylenol and Benadryl. I ended up missing an additional week of work after we returned from our vacation and saw the last of my symptoms go away on April 8th. Luckily we are both in our mid 50's so are child raising days are over but even the CDC does not know what the long term affects from this virus will be.

190768188_ZikaChest.jpg.53afea55e1f2673b9889bc34d966ecc4.jpg

Use a repellent with Deet, if you're concerned. During the daytime, and at salt water areas, mosquitoes are not generally active, or a problem. They like stagnant, fresh water. They do NOT breed in salt water.

Sorry, not true. There are many species of mosquitoes that can live in and breed around or in salt water. Some species must have salt water; some are able to live in both fresh or salt water. That being established, most all warm climate regions which have salt water marshes or wetlands are subject to some species of mosquito such as Culex salinarius and Aedes taeniorhynchus. The latter species is considered a nuisance in Florida.

However, neither of those carry the Zika virus. Zika virus is transmitted to people primarily through the bite of an infected Aedes aegypti and/or Aedes albopictus. Both of these mosquitoes are found in hot climates which includes around 30 US states. Additionally, these mosquitoes are active during the day so wear repellent. More research is needed to determine the exact neurological defects that one might encounter with the Zika virus. Until then, it is prudent to take precautions.

To the OP, just follow the CDC recommendations on your cruise. As someone who has spent 40 years married to a mosquito biologist and I also worked in the industry for many years, we took products that had at least a 30% concentration of Deet when we were on our cruise in Nov/Dec. We had no problem on Labadee or the other ports. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by kalliekae

We just got off the Vision. Both my daughters were bit by mosquitoes. They were sprayed with deet, pretty heavy, but still my one daughter had many bites. From what I read, the mosquitos that carry the virus thrive during the day. Not the typical mosquito. I also sprayed my cabin and balcony door curtains, but while in port a few did get in.

What island(s)?!

The news recently mentioned that Puerto Ricco has had the most cases reported.

Has anyone experienced problems down in the more southern Caribbean islands such as Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, St. Lucia, or Antigua? (The are the island that I will be cruising to this coming week.)

What island(s)?!

The news recently mentioned that Puerto Ricco has had the most cases reported.

Has anyone experienced problems down in the more southern Caribbean islands such as Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, St. Lucia, or Antigua? (The are the island that I will be cruising to this coming week.)

Hubby and I were in these very places two weeks ago. I can tell you that Barbados is taking this ZIka threat seriously. Hubby went for a long walk and all along the road he saw signs warning about Zika. Fortunately he wasn't bitten during his walk but he wore Off Deep Woods spray.

Hubby and I were in these very places two weeks ago. I can tell you that Barbados is taking this ZIka threat seriously. Hubby went for a long walk and all along the road he saw signs warning about Zika. Fortunately he wasn't bitten during his walk but he wore Off Deep Woods spray.

Thanks for the info.

Sorry, not true. There are many species of mosquitoes that can live in and breed around or in salt water. Some species must have salt water; some are able to live in both fresh or salt water. That being established, most all warm climate regions which have salt water marshes or wetlands are subject to some species of mosquito such as Culex salinarius and Aedes taeniorhynchus. The latter species is considered a nuisance in Florida.

However, neither of those carry the Zika virus. Zika virus is transmitted to people primarily through the bite of an infected Aedes aegypti and/or Aedes albopictus. Both of these mosquitoes are found in hot climates which includes around 30 US states. Additionally, these mosquitoes are active during the day so wear repellent. More research is needed to determine the exact neurological defects that one might encounter with the Zika virus. Until then, it is prudent to take precautions.

To the OP, just follow the CDC recommendations on your cruise. As someone who has spent 40 years married to a mosquito biologist and I also worked in the industry for many years, we took products that had at least a 30% concentration of Deet when we were on our cruise in Nov/Dec. We had no problem on Labadee or the other ports. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks so much for providing some expert information. I'm just curious. Do the types of mosquito that carry zika (or for any mosquito for that matter) generally keep close to the ground or do they fly at higher altitudes as well? In other words, is the likelihood of one flying up to deck 15 on Allure much lower than being at ground level or is it just kind of hit and miss to where they would be? Just curious if we stayed on the ship in Labadee for example but wanted to hang by the pool or enjoy the flowrider would this statistically be a much safer place then down on the beach where mosquitoes certainly could be. Also, would they be out in the open ocean or only over land? So in other words, any risk at all of being bitten during sea days? Keep in mind the wife and I will be working towards our second child soon and we want to take prudent precautions so that we have no or as little possible chance of being bit by a mosquito. The risk just isn't worth it for us and we would gladly just hang out indoors or in appropriate clothing if outdoors on the ship while in port. I know this may seem extreme but we still want to cruise and experience one of our favorite ships again and we really don't care that much if we don't get off the ship on this cruise. We have been to all these places many times.

Topnole, you asked how high a mosquito can fly. Research has been done to find the answer. Here's a resource that you might find interesting.

http://www.cmcd.org/research/significant-research-projects/flight-height-of-salt-marsh-mosquitoes-during-migration/

When planes or helicopters spray, the aircraft usually flies 300 feet above ground so the droplets of spray reach the mosquitoes. What most people don't realize is that numerous calculations and tests are done before an actual spraying takes place. It is not a helter skelter type spraying. The planes' equipment is calibrated so the droplets are the correct size to kill the mosquitoes. Furthermore, the spray is targeted just for mosquitoes and the chemical used is EPA registered. Scientists spend a lot of time in the field preparing for a spraying before it occurs.

As for the cruise, if a mosquito wants to fly up to the higher decks, she probably could. Only the female bites and she is attracted to high carbon dioxide in the skin. Sweat definitely attracts mosquitoes. Just do what the CDC has suggested and use DEET at the pool. I have a suppressed immune system due to a transplant so I was very cautious on our cruise. I would never take an excursion into a jungle type area even if I used DEET. That's just me since I am also concerned with Chickamunga and Dengue fever which mosquitoes carry.

Topnole, you asked how high a mosquito can fly. Research has been done to find the answer. Here's a resource that you might find interesting.

http://www.cmcd.org/research/significant-research-projects/flight-height-of-salt-marsh-mosquitoes-during-migration/

When planes or helicopters spray, the aircraft usually flies 300 feet above ground so the droplets of spray reach the mosquitoes. What most people don't realize is that numerous calculations and tests are done before an actual spraying takes place. It is not a helter skelter type spraying. The planes' equipment is calibrated so the droplets are the correct size to kill the mosquitoes. Furthermore, the spray is targeted just for mosquitoes and the chemical used is EPA registered. Scientists spend a lot of time in the field preparing for a spraying before it occurs.

As for the cruise, if a mosquito wants to fly up to the higher decks, she probably could. Only the female bites and she is attracted to high carbon dioxide in the skin. Sweat definitely attracts mosquitoes. Just do what the CDC has suggested and use DEET at the pool. I have a suppressed immune system due to a transplant so I was very cautious on our cruise. I would never take an excursion into a jungle type area even if I used DEET. That's just me since I am also concerned with Chickamunga and Dengue fever which mosquitoes carry.

Your posts are exactly the info I was looking for so thanks a bunch. This specific and more practical information is easy to find. Kind regards.

Thanks Crockett Man for the personal experience. I'd sort of like to see your experience get more publicity in case it would encourage RCCL to help Haiti spray for mosquitos. Haiti probably can't afford to do much but Rccl might be able to help with the cost of spraying. I think there could be a media frenzy if young child gets it on a cruise and also suffers some of the neurological problems possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My wife and I were both diagnosed with Zika after returning from an 8 day cruise on Navigator of the Seas. Our cruise left Ft. Lauderdale on March 19th and returned on March 27th with stops in Labadee, San Juan, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten. We took the necessary precautions by bringing Off with DEET and spraying ourselves but we forgot to apply it while in both St. Kitts and St. Maarten. Given the 3-7 day incubation period we were probably bit in either Labadee or San Juan. I can tell you that I never saw or felt the bites but I did have 3 of them on my right shin on or about the 2nd or 3rd day of our cruise. I can also tell you that those of you who are saying that the particular strain of mosquito carrying the virus is active during the day are ABSOLUTELY correct! This was also confirmed by our doctors. My symptoms started on the 7th day of our trip when I noticed a rash developing on my upper torso. My wife did not see her symptoms, fever and rash, start until 2 days after we returned from our trip. We then started getting all of the symptoms, fever, body aches, chills, whites of our eyes were pink and general malaise, along with the already existing rash. My wife's doctor said that she had seen an increase in patients claiming to have the virus in March but none as serious as hers. She also said that she could draw a blood sample to be certain but it would need to go to the CDC for testing and could take up to 3 weeks to get the results. We were given direction to take Tylenol and Benadryl. I ended up missing an additional week of work after we returned from our vacation and saw the last of my symptoms go away on April 8th. Luckily we are both in our mid 50's so are child raising days are over but even the CDC does not know what the long term affects from this virus will be.

Yikes! So sorry you had to go through that ordeal but glad you're both okay now.

We have an excursion to Amiga Island reserved in Labadee next month and we'll be sure to spray (and try not to sweat;)).

But seriously thank you for bringing this to our attention here.

I'm sure your story has made a lot of us want to be extra careful while in the Caribbean.

WHERE DID YOU GO or WHAT DID YOU DO in St. Kitts and St. Martin.

We board the Navigator on Sunday and would appreciate the information.

Thanks

My wife's doctor said that she had seen an increase in patients claiming to have the virus in March but none as serious as hers. She also said that she could draw a blood sample to be certain but it would need to go to the CDC for testing and could take up to 3 weeks to get the results. We were given direction to take Tylenol and Benadryl. I ended up missing an additional week of work after we returned from our vacation and saw the last of my symptoms go away on April 8th. Luckily we are both in our mid 50's so are child raising days are over but even the CDC does not know what the long term affects from this virus will be.

Your wife's doctor is at best an alarmist, and gave you poor information. There is no clinical sequelae that specifically indicates Zika over countless other viral illness, both vector spread (mosquitos, insects, etc...) or person to person.

Furthermore, the physician can draw all the blood he or she desires. But unless you or your wife are currently pregnant, the CDC isn't going to test it.

Their guess on San Juan or Haiti is probably in line w the poverty level and mosquito population, I probably wouldn't worry too much about St Kitts and St Martin beyond standard precautions cruise lines encouraging.

I hope others who contract Zika on a cruise aren't afraid of backlash by reporting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

@beachnative

In St. Kitts we did a catamaran sail and snorkel with Blue Water Safaris in the morning then just shopped in the shops at the pier. In St. Maarten we went to Orient Beach in the morning then shopping on Front Street in the afternoon. Please remember that I noticed the bites on my leg before we got to these ports.

Edited by Crockett Man

@leisuretraveler223

I am not trying to install fear or panic in anyone here. I would take another cruise to the caribbean tomorrow if I could. I am surprised at your comments about our doctors given the newness of this virus, unless of course you yourself are a doctor, in which case I revert back to the newness of this virus and the varying opinions from all doctors and the CDC.

We just got off Anthem on Monday (10 night cruise) and we were in San Juan, St Thomas, St Kitts and St Maarten and never saw a single mosquito or were we bitten and I'm usually a prime target. DH and I are beyond childbearing years so not an issue, but I always take Off wipes with us, but didn't use them. We were in San Juan from 3-11 pm and were at dinner after dark outside. I do think those that are pregnant or plan to be should take caution. I only saw one pregnant woman on our cruise and I was actually surprised she still went considering our itinerary.