Koningsdam & Amsterdam ' neck to neck'

Bellair

Here is a marine map within a few minutes ago of both the Amsterdam and the Koningsdam off the coast of Italy.

How exciting for all on board.

I believe a few hundred if the World cruise Pax on the Amsterdam will have the opportunity to visit the New ship in port.ImageUploadedByForums1460677206.097354.jpg.e872203f15bfb9f24b0368dcaa5f381a.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1460677194.895487.jpg.a17e10602c2b5e92ed85c4a77ed7fe2b.jpg

That's the MSC Fantasia also sailing into Civitavecchia in the top left of that photo, by the way.

We loved the cruise - much more relaxing than our last cruise on RCL Anthem (since that cruise featured 30 foot seas and 150+ MPH winds).

It is a great ship. Loved the 2 tiered area around the main pool - really nice seating area on the upper level. And they do movies by the pool at night (complete with popcorn). Very nice - we watched a few.

We often found ourselves by the aft pool though...we had awesome weather on the cruise, and so it was quite pleasant back there.

Minor first cruise glitches...

•  
    There are some automated beer taps dispensing various beers (just tap your card), but it was broken most of the cruise. Newcastle Brown for 35 cents an ounce would have been nice, but oh well...

• Our toilet leaked a bit around the base when we flushed, but they fixed it pretty quickly for us.

For a first cruise, I thought the number of glitches was pretty low. There were a good number (I think they said around 70 maybe) of contractors still on the ship testing, training, troubleshooting things. I talked to some guys from Motorola (I think) - 2 way radios, they did.

Artwork around ship is "eclectic" - I liked it, but some of it is a downright weird.

I do lament the trend on newer ships to making the library an afterthought. On Koningsdam, it is relegated to a tiny space in one corner of the Crow's Nest. On other HAL ships, it was a nice space to sit from time to time.

Spa was really nice - we used it a lot. Pool temp in there was up and down from day to day - I think they were still getting the kinks out. One day it was not even working - cold, and jets would not turn on.

Food was great - as usual.

Edited by Kite99

That's the MSC Fantasia also sailing into Civitavecchia in the top left of that photo, by the way.

We loved the cruise - much more relaxing than our last cruise on RCL Anthem (since that cruise featured 30 foot seas and 150+ MPH winds).

It is a great ship. Loved the 2 tiered area around the main pool - really nice seating area on the upper level. And they do movies by the pool at night (complete with popcorn). Very nice - we watched a few.

We often found ourselves by the aft pool though...we had awesome weather on the cruise, and so it was quite pleasant back there.

Minor first cruise glitches...

•  

There are some automated beer taps dispensing various beers (just tap your card), but it was broken most of the cruise. Newcastle Brown for 35 cents an ounce would have been nice, but oh well...

• Our toilet leaked a bit around the base when we flushed, but they fixed it pretty quickly for us.

For a first cruise, I thought the number of glitches was pretty low. There were a good number (I think they said around 70 maybe) of contractors still on the ship testing, training, troubleshooting things. I talked to some guys from Motorola (I think) - 2 way radios, they did.

Artwork around ship is "eclectic" - I liked it, but some of it is a downright weird.

I do lament the trend on newer ships to making the library an afterthought. On Koningsdam, it is relegated to a tiny space in one corner of the Crow's Nest. On other HAL ships, it was a nice space to sit from time to time.

Spa was really nice - we used it a lot. Pool temp in there was up and down from day to day - I think they were still getting the kinks out. One day it was not even working - cold, and jets would not turn on.

Food was great - as usual.

Thanks for that report, so glad you had a good cruise despite a few glitches. We board in June and very excited. Can you buy a day pass into the spa? We don't want to use it for whole cruise.

I think the movies at night sounds like fun, do they keep the screen off during the day?

Thanks again

Yes, you can buy day pass to spa (but we bought for cruise, and used it a lot).

During the day, the screen by the pool seemed to show show interesting water drops and the like...kind of like a giant screen saver. Movies were only at night, but I think they had an early and a late showing each night.