Ketchikan excursions for active couple

hc0321

My husband and I are traveling to Alaska for the first time in early June. We originally wanted to salmon fish, but from research it looks like it will be a hard time to catch much. Is this true?

I would consider us to be active and more adventurous with what we like for excursions. If salmon fishing isn't good what are some other good options in Ketchikan? We already have whale watching in Icy Strait and the train in Skagway booked so I would rather have something more exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Is Kayaking appealing?

We really enjoyed our day kayaking in Orca's cove with southeast sea kayaks...but that may not be the type of "adventure" that you are looking for...but we were able to get away from the port to an island and kayak around the island...we saw various marine wildlife...but ours were more of the jellyfish type.

My husband and I are traveling to Alaska for the first time in early June. We originally wanted to salmon fish, but from research it looks like it will be a hard time to catch much. Is this true?

I would consider us to be active and more adventurous with what we like for excursions. If salmon fishing isn't good what are some other good options in Ketchikan? We already have whale watching in Icy Strait and the train in Skagway booked so I would rather have something more exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've fished in Ketchikan in June (will again next summer) and done very well. The salmon is running and King season starts in June. Do some research on the fishing if that's what you're interested in and see what they're expecting for the time you'll be there.

There are also RHIB tours - you pilot your own inflatable, hard bottomed hi speed boat following a guide. You see wildlife up close on off shore islands.

Linda, Are you able to provide more information on this? Sounds very interesting! I'm unfamiliar with the term "RHIB" Do you have a tour company name?

Linda, Are you able to provide more information on this? Sounds very interesting! I'm unfamiliar with the term "RHIB" Do you have a tour company name?

We booked it thru the ship but here is a link.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductDetail?product=5324PRTKTNZODIAC&d=1526063

The boats look like the inflatables that Jaques Cousteau used to zip around in. They are also known as "Zodiacs".