Live review Anthem of the Seas - 18th April 2016

Today is Labadee day. Not my favourite of ports, mainly because I don't like beaches and don't snorkel. I've done the walking tour and the Coastal tour. So I had a choice. Stay on the ship, or get off and do some photography.

The weather was pleasant today. 27 Degrees C's (around 79 Degrees F's) and a mild wind in places. Here's some images from today.

26496648781_aa29edafed_n.jpg

26537075806_fb7c7e1454_n.jpg

26290598700_b14632869c_n.jpg

25961239793_20eec74e3a_n.jpg

More images to follow tomorrow, possibly after the visit to San Juan, which may involve going to old San Juan to see in the sunset.

I am in the process of uploading the images to my Cruise Diary on that well known social media page so that you can see the high resolution versions of the images.

Guest maddycat
Agree with WWRY being loud. I had to run back to my cabin to grab ear plugs for my kids. It was intolerable for them, and they don't typically have sensory issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found that all of the shows were too loud. I think that the sound technicians on the Anthem, as on all RCI ships, must be hard of hearing.

Just a quick couple of questions to people following / seeing this thread.

Do you believe RCI should try and attract new headliner talent / acts to cruise ships or keep with the same old, same old?

Also, if you have seen a headliner act before, would you see them again if they were on your cruise?

I will give my thoughts, hopefully, tomorrow, but I welcome your views.

If I ever come back to the US, I won't be staying in the Hilton Penn Station. The Air conditioning is noisy and is in need of some general facelift. Also, the windows are not sound proof. With Penn Station being nearby, you can be awake quite early, and kept awake until late. Visitors beware. The hotel is ok to stay in, but I am sure there are better ones around.

Sad to hear this about the hotel. It's the one we choose for our May 12th and 13th pre-cruise stay. We choose it because it had good reviews on trip adviser and was close to Penn station to hop on and head to time square and similar areas in NY. :/

Edited by libertybelle41

Sad to hear this about the hotel. It's the one we choose for our May 12th and 13th pre-cruise stay. We choose it because it had good reviews on trip adviser and was close to Penn station to hop on and head to time square and similar areas in NY. :/

Hi Libertybelle41, as always, make your own judgement when you stay in this hotel. For you, the issues I raised may not be as bad for you.

I generally don't have an issue with the Hilton Hotel, just felt it needed some work done, but it wasn't a major problem. If I had major issues with the room, rest assured, I would have asked for a different room.

Hi Libertybelle41, as always, make your own judgement when you stay in this hotel. For you, the issues I raised may not be as bad for you.

I generally don't have an issue with the Hilton Hotel, just felt it needed some work done, but it wasn't a major problem. If I had major issues with the room, rest assured, I would have asked for a different room.

The cons you mentioned do concern me as it would bother me too.

Any recommendations on other hotels around the area that you saw that might be more desirable that we could still get transportation into NYC easily?

and Thanks so much for your reviews!!

Any recommendations on other hotels around the area that you saw that might be more desirable that we could still get transportation into NYC easily?

Unfortunately, I don't know NYC or NJ well enough to advise. I hope someone can help. If you are flying into NJ and you are not driving, please check if the hotel has a free shuttle service.

The best place for this info and advice is the East Coast Departures board. Very helpful folks.

Just a few more images from Labadee Beach.

26502892241_697ed16731_n.jpg

26296168740_fba29d5da8_n.jpg

25963923894_e267d25338_n.jpg

As before, if you want to see larger images, please head over to my Cruise Diaries page on that popular Social Media site. However, please be aware that the live review will be conducted here. I may post larger images in my post-cruise review.

A quick review of Labadee.

There have been some changes since I was last there, or at least from what I can remember). There's a new beach on the far side of the land rented by Labadee. This is ideal for the larger ships such as the Quantum class and Oasis class ships. Other ships will benefit with more distribution of space.

As a vegetarian, I struggle to find a positive about the beach buffet, but as a I diabetic, I know I have to eat regularly, so I had to make do with something over nothing. Some Salad, Rice and Corn on the Cob. I'm sure the non-veg eaters loved the food, but the rabbit food wasn't to my liking. (Sorry if you don't know what I mean by rabbit food, but feel free to look at the Urban Dictionary as to what I mean).

The beech has some more features, like an open air bed. I didn't pay attention to the cabanas as I didn't use them myself on this cruise. Access to Dragons point was closed when I went there in the morning. I don't know if it opened up afterwards, but there was some waves splashing against the walls which may be the reason for it being closed.

I've done Labadee a few times. I don't do snorkelling, Zipline or many other things, so it's not an exciting location for me. It's a nice location, if you like beeches, but for me, apart from the photo opportunities, I won't sing and dance about it. It's not for everyone.

Today is San Juan day. According to the Cruise Compass, there are threats of thunderstorms. I hope this is a mistake, as I hope to go for a walk around Old San Juan.

Have a great day everyone.

Just been walking along Deck 4 about 30 minutes ago. I suspect a lot of people have never seen a bargain before. :eek:

Whilst it is possible to get around via other decks, I'm just wondering if the staff could break up the area a little bit more so that the passengers can move around more freely. It's not as bad as the Anthem of the Seas, but with the limited space for passers by to get past the crowds, it makes some limited sense to spread out the area a little.

We stayed there in January. No problems at all. YMMV

As I am not in a suite, I won't access to the Coastal Kitchen. Also, as a vegetarian, I would probably avoid the Coastal at all cost. :p. I will see what I can do in the other places.

Could you please take a photo of the current sloozie glass. I know they change them every year and I collect them.

Thanks

Aileen

Edited by UnMe4ever2gether

Is there a deck that has a track where you can walk all the way around the ship? Thank you!

Enjoying your live review! Appreciate you taking the time to do this for us!

Yes, walkers can stay to the right while runner stay to the left while using the running track on the Sports deck 15. Below is the sign showing that track onboard Anthem and a view of it from North Star.

attachment.php?attachmentid=383441&d=1461353712

attachment.php?attachmentid=383442&d=1461353712

P3171937.jpg.ba849c5af0c7ce302b66af5336c5d3cb.jpg

P3141809.jpg.11532c020c0518bdbf72effde245f7bb.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Yes, walkers can stay to the right while runner stay to the left while using the running track on the Sports deck 15. Below is the sign showing that track onboard Anthem and a view of it from North Star.

attachment.php?attachmentid=383441&d=1461353712

attachment.php?attachmentid=383442&d=1461353712

This is perfect! Thank you, Bob & Novicetraveller!

Just a quick couple of questions to people following / seeing this thread.

Do you believe RCI should try and attract new headliner talent / acts to cruise ships or keep with the same old, same old?

Also, if you have seen a headliner act before, would you see them again if they were on your cruise?

I will give my thoughts, hopefully, tomorrow, but I welcome your views.

I'd love to see them have a celebrity guest once in a while.

If cruises follow suit with land venues, ultimately they'll create a residence for a celerity and charge a premium for their concert.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

While you're on the cruise can you conduct a casual investigation to confirm any of the following: menu changes coming and if so, when?

Dynamic Dining leaving (or changing)!and if so, when?

Thank you in advance. Love your review! Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app