Choice Air: Different price bet American and Iberia (codeshare)

ChiGal1962

Looking at booking ORD-FCO for a late summer cruise.

There are non-stop business class flights via American that are also booked under Iberia as an american codeshare. Booking direct through the airlines or via Expedia, etc., the fare is the same for both - almost $4,000.

Booking through Choice Air, if I choose the American flights, it's $2,772. If I choose the Iberia codeshare for the same exact flights, it's $2,411.

How can it be a different fare for the same flight? I assume I'd still get AA frequent flyer credit on the Iberia codeshare, right? Is there something I'm missing?

Looking at booking ORD-FCO for a late summer cruise.

There are non-stop business class flights via American that are also booked under Iberia as an american codeshare. Booking direct through the airlines or via Expedia, etc., the fare is the same for both - almost $4,000.

Booking through Choice Air, if I choose the American flights, it's $2,772. If I choose the Iberia codeshare for the same exact flights, it's $2,411.

How can it be a different fare for the same flight? I assume I'd still get AA frequent flyer credit on the Iberia codeshare, right? Is there something I'm missing?

Be sure to check that you get the same bonus for booking business class with Iberia that you do with the AA codeshare. They have changed the rules for accumulating redeemable and elite-qualifying miles, and partner airline coded flights often get less than AA coded flights, even on the same metal.

I don't know why there's a price difference, but I've seen that when booking directly with the airlines - I go on aa.com and get one price for an AA code flight operated by Alaska Airlines and another (usually substantially lower) price for the AS booking that shows on the AA website. And then I get still another price when I look at the AS website.

It's not that unusual for codeshares to be priced differently from the airline's own site; it has to do with the fare conditions and market in the codeshare airline's own world.

If you go with the Iberia price, phone AA to get the AA record locator (Iberia's will be different) so you can select seats in advance.

If getting or maintaining elite status is important, take note of critterchick's comments about the new AA program rules. The extra $300 might be worth it depending on your situation.

I'm not sure about some of the above info. Currently, if you book an Iberia operate flight on AA website, you cannot choose your seat. You have to call Iberia, and they will either charge you a fee to choose your seat, or make you wait until flight check-in. Iberia, last fall was charging ~ $35-$50 ea to choose your seat under this scenario.

Same goes the other way, if you book it on Iberia, you can pick your seat for the Iberia leg, but not the domestic AA leg, if there is one.

I typically pay a bit more to get the AA operated flight to MAD, so I can choose all my seats beforehand.

We flew from Sydney to Honolulu last year on Jetstar. It was a codeshare with Qantas. Jetstar is a discount arm of Qantas.

The net price of our Jetstar seat was just under $250 AUD (Jetstar fare was under $500AUD) less than the price of the same seat if we have purchased it on Qantas.

It is a marketing decision. Our experience is that code shares are often priced slightly differently however the above example was a surprise to us.