Norway - best port for small boat fjords tour Advice, please.

We are going to be on Holland America's new ship, ms. Koningsdam, for a Norwegian Fjords cruise in August 2016.

I expect we'll see beautiful fjords from our ship. However, I am trying to figure out which port to do a small boat tour of the fjords.

While onboard the ms. Koningsdam, we'll have some "scenic cruising" in Oslo Fjord, Sognefjord, Geirangerfjord, and Hardangerfjord.

These are the ports we'll be visiting:

Kristiansand, Stavanger, Flam, Bergen, Geiranger, Alesund, Eidfjord.

Which of the ports listed above would be best for an "up close" tour of the fjords.

Thanks!

We are going to be on Holland America's new ship, ms. Koningsdam, for a Norwegian Fjords cruise in August 2016. I expect we'll see beautiful fjords from our ship. However, I am trying to figure out which port to do a small boat tour of the fjords. While onboard the ms. Koningsdam, we'll have some "scenic cruising" in Oslo Fjord, Sognefjord, Geirangerfjord, and Hardangerfjord. These are the ports we'll be visiting:

Kristiansand, Stavanger, Flam, Bergen, Geiranger, Alesund, Eidfjord. Which of the ports listed above would be best for an "up close" tour of the fjords. Thanks!

You'll be visiting lots of wonderful locations in Norway. Good question for doing an "up close", waterside tour!! BUT, here are a few added factors to consider. We have done five of these wonderful locations, Oslo, Flam, Bergen, Geiranger and Alesund.

TRADE-OFFS?: Using Flam as an example, we super enjoyed the rail trip/adventure and going "up-country" from the water-level port area. If you do the water/closer boat ride, you might not have the time to do another option such as the rail trip there. Highest priority?? In Oslo, as my one photo below illustrates, they are in what is called a "fjord", but it is not as super-scenic as what western Norway's coast has. Bergen, as the below visual shows is very nice/scenic, but there are so many great things to see and do in this charming/historic city that doing such a water-side boat trip there would limit your other options.

Along the Sognerfjord, as an example, you will have about a total of 100 miles of sailing for going up and then coming back along just this one dramatic area. This fjord is rated as the best in all of Norway for its spectacular views. With some good binoculars, etc., maybe the sailing will give you enough of these views?

Reactions and added questions?

MORE ON BERGEN:

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icons, local art, etc.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobble-stoned streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen. Here is the link to this rail option:

http://www.floibanen.com

Their good and helpful Tourism Office can be accessed on the web at: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

We docked at the fairly handy Skoltegrunskaien Pier. This put us within about a 10-15 minute walk of the main attractions at the market and warehouse area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 197,006 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Bergen, this was our great vista on this sunny day from the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview.:

BergenHarborView.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

Sailing out from Oslo with the red brick City Hall in the background and the surrounding areas and “hills” showing around this so-called “fjord”.:

1A-Oslo-SailingOut.jpg

At Flam, there are some great fjord, dramatic mountains, waterfalls, etc. Below is just one picture/highlight from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views and doing a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

I have booked a Fjord cruise for our stop in Stavenger in July.

http://www.rodne.no/news/lysefjord-sightseeing/

It looks lovely.

There is this option from Flåm.

https://www.visitflam.com/en/se-og-gjore/aktiviteter/fjord-cruise-naroyfjord-rundtur/

We will be going in July as well but have opted to do the train ride.

I have visited both Alesund and Bergen on a previous cruise and would opt to explore these very charming towns on foot. I love both of them.

Such a beautiful part of the world ! Enjoy!

You'll be visiting lots of wonderful locations in Norway. Good question for doing an "up close", waterside tour!! BUT, here are a few added factors to consider. We have done five of these wonderful locations, Oslo, Flam, Bergen, Geiranger and Alesund.

Thanks, so much, Terry. I always appreciate your helpful and detailed responses.

As always, your photos are stunning. I know that your photos have piqued my interest, not just for this cruise, but for many other destinations that you have shared.

Thank you!

I have booked a Fjord cruise for our stop in Stavenger in July.

http://www.rodne.no/news/lysefjord-sightseeing/

It looks lovely.

There is this option from Flåm.

https://www.visitflam.com/en/se-og-gjore/aktiviteter/fjord-cruise-naroyfjord-rundtur/

We will be going in July as well but have opted to do the train ride.

I have visited both Alesund and Bergen on a previous cruise and would opt to explore these very charming towns on foot. I love both of them.

Such a beautiful part of the world ! Enjoy!

Thanks so much for your reply and the info/link you provided. It looks like Stavanger may be the best option for us to do a fjord tour.

We are really looking forward to this cruise as it will be more relaxing and scenic than some of the other European cruises we've done.

I appreciate Cruise Critic members for sharing their knowledge and experiences!

Thanks so much for your reply and the info/link you provided. It looks like Stavanger may be the best option for us to do a fjord tour.

We are really looking forward to this cruise as it will be more relaxing and scenic than some of the other European cruises we've done.

I appreciate Cruise Critic members for sharing their knowledge and experiences!

I am glad! We will be doing this excursion in July and I will report back with photos. When are going?

I would also vote for the trip to the base of pulpit rock in Stavanger. Stavanger, is a nice little place, but if you want scenic, you will need to move on from there. Make sure you still have a good half day to see the town though.

Make sure you do not miss the sail out of the fjiords in Flam, Gieranger and Eidfjiord, where the sail outs can take a couple of hours or so. Missing a main meal time is worth it in our opinion. The sails in and out of the other ports will be much shorter.

Edited by tring

I am glad! We will be doing this excursion in July and I will report back with photos. When are going?

I will look forward to reading your posts/review.

We will board the new ship, ms. Koningsdam, on July 31 in Amsterdam. It is a 14-day cruise, Viking Sagas and Norse Legends.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I would also vote for the trip to the base of pulpit rock in Stavanger. Stavanger, is a nice little place, but if you want scenic, you will need to move on from there. Make sure you still have a good half day to see the town though.

Make sure you do not miss the sail out of the fjiords in Flam, Gieranger and Eidfjiord, where the sail outs can take a couple of hours or so. Missing a main meal time is worth it in our opinion. The sails in and out of the other ports will be much shorter.

Thanks for your insights about Stavanger and the fjords.

I do love the sail-in and sail-out of ports. We've experienced some unique ones in Venice and Malta.

River cruising has some lovely sail ins/outs, as well. Sailing out of Budapest is beautiful, especially at night.

Thanks, again, for taking the time to share your experience.

One of my favourites in your list is Eidfjord - just beautiful with a lovely sail in. You will love it - lots of walks, a little land bus and views to die for.

Good to know! I haven't researched that port yet. We'll be there on a Friday, from 11am - 8pm, so we'll have a good chunk of time to explore.

Thanks, so much, Terry. I always appreciate your helpful and detailed responses. As always, your photos are stunning. I know that your photos have piqued my interest, not just for this cruise, but for many other destinations that you have shared. Thank you!

Appreciate these super kind comments from our friend in California. Glad that my visuals have been inspiring!! As detailed below in my most recent live/blog, you need to have Africa on your future "to-do" list. Plus, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil/Amazon River, etc.

Keep doing your good research and planning. That really makes a difference for when you are in Norway.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 12,323 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Delta area.

Appreciate these super kind comments from our friend in California. Glad that my visuals have been inspiring!! As detailed below in my most recent live/blog, you need to have Africa on your future "to-do" list. Plus, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil/Amazon River, etc.

Keep doing your good research and planning. That really makes a difference for when you are in Norway.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 12,323 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Delta area.

Oh, my word. Thanks for sharing the link to your Africa photos. As always, the photos are amazing.

I love all the details, from the wild life to the foods you photographed.

You truly have a gift for taking great photos of your vacations, and your descriptions are wonderful.

Okay, now I have to put Africa on my Travel Bucket List.

You are costing my husband a lot of money, I will have you know. ;):eek:

Bobbie and Jim

Oh, my word. Thanks for sharing the link to your Africa photos. As always, the photos are amazing. I love all the details, from the wild life to the foods you photographed. You truly have a gift for taking great photos of your vacations, and your descriptions are wonderful. Okay, now I have to put Africa on my Travel Bucket List. You are costing my husband a lot of money, I will have you know. ;):eek: Bobbie and Jim

Appreciate your follow-up and nice comments. Glad that you have put Africa on your future Travel Bucket List. Don't worry on your husband's money. You deserve it!! Below is a link for lots of fun and excitement "down under" for Australia and New Zealand. That's closer for folks in California.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 140,932 views for this posting.