Lido Dinners?

422Melissa

I think it's been explained that the clothes you are bringing really can be worn to the MDR. If you can rearrange just a bit for one nice outfit for Formal Night you're all set.

Having said that, you may choose to eat at the Lido some nights due to excursions or your desire to not have as long of a meal.

Let me give you some more specific examples of what you might find. I've done the Lido at night occasionally and walk through many times.

There are usually only 1-2 appetizers from the MDR on the buffet. One time, they had crab cakes - I could make a whole meal from those. :)

If you like salad, the salad bar has a much larger variety than the salads offered in the MDR.

The entree's are usually on par. They may have different names. One time they had Coq Au Vin in the MDR, on the buffet they called is "chicken in wine sauce". There are usually 3-4 entrees from the MDR on the buffet - that includes items that might be on the Every Day menu. Another advantage to the Lido is the carved meats - they have one each night. So, for example the night they have Turkey in the MDR, the fresh carved turkey on the Lido is MUCH better.

Desserts are what will be lacking. No WCMC, creme brulee or the like. I did notice on my last cruise it was a little better. The night they had cheesecake in the MDR, they had smaller "lunch size" pieces - just have a couple. But, don't forget the 24 ice cream, and there are free desserts on the Room Service menu for a late night treat.

So, I think you can go either way; or have a nice mix.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by CruzinScotty

Back to your question, yes the food is very good on the Lido deck. :D They had similar items that they served in the MDR and even prime rib some nights, and remember there is always pizza :)

Use packing cubes to maximize space in your suitcase. We also restrict ourselves to one case each so it's easier to manage at the airports/ports. We do about 10-12 days for each vacation and can get it all into one 25" case and one 29" case.

On the AK cruise, you likely won't want to be wearing any sundresses or strappy sandals to dinner. The temp on deck with be between 50 and 60 degrees for most of that cruise. A nice sweater set and pants is fine for even elegant night on AK cruises to fit right in.

Have fun!

We tried to eat on the Lido deck one night on the Dream and it was pretty yucky. We got pizza and were happy. I'd do it again, one or two times, but knowing I was going for pizza or room service.

That said, I'm wearing shorts if they are dressy ones (about half my shorts maybe?) and bringing one black skirt for every other night. Same shirt as I wear during the day when I'm not in a swimsuit. (All my excursions are swimming, so I won't get all sweaty in the shirt or anything.)

I agree with one poster that said the dress code for Alaska cruises is different. My family and I always look spiffy on Caribbean cruises but the climate is much different in Alaska. I haven't cruised there with kids yet but I envision jeans for dinner. What about leggings and cute tops for the girls? Maybe even a sparkly one on formal night?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the advice. We managed to stuff everything into 3 suitcases, one carry-on, and each of the girls have a backpack. We each packed one dress for the first formal night, but we are going more casual for the second. When I weighed my bag at check-in, it was 50.5 pounds! I still have miles to go before I learn to travel light. One of my female coworkers was able to spend 2 weeks in Europe with only a carry-on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app