Question about weather and detours??

DMickey28

We are cruising 10/23-30 on the Star Princess and a little nervous about TD 24 that is just sitting in the Carribean now. I am curious what the cruise lines do in that situation? Would they still cruise and just change around the iternary? We are going out of Ft. Lauderdale and I don't anticipate a problem there.

I can't wait!! Thanks for the responses! :)

That's basically what I am thinking. Would they change the iternary from Western to Eastern if they had to? Would they just sit out at sea if then had to? Neither option matters to me at all!! Just as long as we get out of Ft. Lauderdale. Heck, We could sit that the dock in Ft. Lauderdale the whole time for all I care!! :)

dmickey, then you will be fine. A west to east change is certainly possible. They will probably not sit out at sea, but will substitute alternate ports. With your wonderful attitude, you will be fine. Just keep an eye on announcements to make sure you are aware of any changes in the schedule. Enjoy the adventure of your "mystery cruise"

dmickey, then you will be fine. A west to east change is certainly possible. They will probably not sit out at sea, but will substitute alternate ports. With your wonderful attitude, you will be fine. Just keep an eye on announcements to make sure you are aware of any changes in the schedule. Enjoy the adventure of your "mystery cruise"
I love that idea: "mystery cruise"....sounds much more exciting than complaining 'we missed our port'......Bon Voyage:)

My daughter is on the Star right now and I called Princess and they said they are still going to the Western side which to me seems like they are going right into the storm. Even if they go around the storm won't the water be rough?

My daughter is on the Star right now and I called Princess and they said they are still going to the Western side which to me seems like they are going right into the storm. Even if they go around the storm won't the water be rough?

If you go to the bridge cam for the Star Princess you will see that it is enroute to St. Marten, so it looks like it is going Eastern this week.

We leave from Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday evening. What if the ship has to leave port earlier (due to Wilma) for it's safety? What happens to us - do we have to book into a hotel and wait another day or what? So many variables and so many questions!!

It does sometimes happen that the ship has to leave early--and the response is different for each situation. They do try to notify everyone, so make sure your cell phone is in their database. Usually the cruise line will work with the "left" passengers to either get them to the next port, offer refunds, re-schedule the cruise, give onboard credit or combinations of the above.

On the 9-17 Caribbean Princess, we were scheduled to do the Eastern itinerary (St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Princess Cays...in that order). We ended up going to P.C. first (lovely!), and then did a Western itinerary, going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios, Jamaica. This was due to "Rita". I didn't mind at all, and we had wonderful weather the entire time! Better than getting clouds, wind, and rain on the original itinerary! It looks like Wilma may affect Grand Cayman and Cozumel, so I wouldn't worry about cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale. The Captain will do what's best!

DMickey28,

We'll be on the same ship with you. All of us on the roll call are watching the weather closely. I think we'll be able to get out of Ft. Lauderdale all right, and the feeling is that once we get to Princess Cay, the decision will be made as to what the direction of the ship will be. I also have friends on the ship this week-some from the roll call- and they are going East, as mentioned-we saw the Webcam, too, instead of West. I had friends on the 9/17 Cruise who went west instead of east. They were with us last year when we went west instead of east, also. One of these years it will work out for them!!

We'll have a great time on board. I hope we'll get to meet you!!! Lynne

We are 19 days out and hoping all this hurricane mess comes to an end. It has been a long and distructive season.

We, like many others, are happy just to be on the ship and away from home and would be happy with any itinerary as we have never been in the Caribbean.

It would be some fast planning though to book things to do in ports you weren't expecting to visit.

Good luck to those of you sailing this weekend. I'll be watching to see what happens.

Archived