Liberty cruise report | 032016-032716 | Falmouth, George Town, Cozumel

M_BA

I like having the muster drill inside because I don't like standing outside smashed like a sardine, but I do think everyone should go find their muster station.

I too find the alarm clock evil:D

Enjoying your review!

Thanks for the great review! We're on Liberty July 31. Last RCI cruise was in 2007. We've been on Princess and Carnival since but are looking forward to coming back to Royal.

Like I did, you'll find a lot of changes cruising RCCL a decade later. The dry dock makes Liberty feel like a new ship.

Looks like I will get to thank you in person for this great review. We're planning on Liberty 4/30/17 as well.

I'm with your wife on evil alarm clocks. However, Mr Wolf is not as nice as you. He keeps telling me I can sleep at home but not on a cruise. :D

Looks like I will get to thank you in person for this great review. We're planning on Liberty 4/30/17 as well.

I'm with your wife on evil alarm clocks. However, Mr Wolf is not as nice as you. He keeps telling me I can sleep at home but not on a cruise. :D

Small world! I just joined the roll call for Liberty, 043017.

After breakfast, I re-filled my coffee cup and headed up to the outside decks on 11 and 12. I did one walk around on the track and headed back indoors. There were 60kmph wind gusts and it was chilly. The decks were fairly barren.

I went by my room to grab my soda container and my Kindle. I then perused through the decks.

There are so many good interior locations to take in dramatic views.

IMG_20160321_094647.jpg

IMG_20160321_094707.jpg

Most of the interior areas were still quite at 9:45 AM. Most were either still asleep, or just now eating breakfast.

IMG_20160321_094812.jpg

IMG_20160321_094821.jpg

Thank you for the report and review. Love your Pictures! One of my favorite things are the sunrises and the sunsets while cruising.

The sunrises and sunsets are often quite tranquil and spectacular!

I settled at a bistro table in front of the Hoof & Claw Pub to people watch and do some reading. Little by little, the Promenade filled with people over the next ninety minutes.

IMG_20160321_095152.jpg

Just before 11:00, I headed up in the ship towards deck 14 to the Olive or Twist area. This was to attend the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet.

IMG_20160321_110446.jpg

The two RCCL hosts were very gracious and friendly. At the end, a raffle was done; with RCCL giving away 8-9 bottles of wine & champagne and another 7-8 items of RCCL logo items. I ended up getting a mesh hat.

I enjoyed meeting several of the other Cruise Critic persons.

Afterwards, I headed back to the room to see if I could awaken my better half.

Lisa and I headed to the MDR for lunch on our first sea day. We requested a window view and were immediately seated at a two top by a large window. Our waiter quickly brought us our menus and took our drink orders.

IMG_20160321_125605.jpg

I started out with the soup of the day, an onion and beef broth. It was piping hot and very flavorful. My better half ordered a salad.

IMG_20160321_130937.jpg

I ordered the grilled catch of the day, on top of mashed potatoes and topped with green beans. The potatoes were good, but not great. The green beans are fish were very good. Over the years, my fish meals on board have always been quite good. Today was no exception.

IMG_20160321_131153.jpg

Lisa ordered the grilled open steak sandwich. It looked and smelled good. It didn't last long on her plate. I surmised it was good by her grin.

IMG_20160321_131150.jpg

Lisa was tempted by dessert and ordered strawberry Napoleon.

IMG_20160321_133746.jpg

Our waiter at lunch wasn't the most friendly person on board. It looked like he was in a quandary trying to both wait on lunch tables and work on setting up dinner seating at the same time.

Thank you so much! I am really enjoying your review and great pictures!

We get to board in 12 days!!! :D We're doing this same itinerary just in reverse. I would like to hear about the tendering process in Grand Cayman since we're doing a private excursion.

Edited by YadaYadaJodi

Yada, tendering will be for suites and Royal excursions first - then general boarding.

Do you know if you have to get tender tickets? We did for our Navigator cruise out of Galveston to Grand Cayman in 2014. There didn't seem to be much checking for numbers though. I had gotten up early and got tickets for the 1st general boarding tender, but I'm not sure it made a difference as I recall. Except as a rule follower I was able to get in line when our number was called. We did make our excursion with the same vendor though.

After lunch, we walked thru the shops and took in all the inside opportunities. The winds were still howling and the wind chill had many people inside. The Platinum theatre showed Kung Fu Panda 3 and it was packed.

I liked having music available during the day, and not just at night time.

IMG_20160321_153212.jpg

As Tuesday was the first formal night, we headed back to the room to get dressed. It took me about five minutes to get my tuxedo and boots on, another two minutes to tie the bow tie. The wife took a bit longer...

We skipped the photo barrage and entered the MDR punctually at 5:30 PM. Kevin was at our table, as was another couple. They were also from Oklahoma and were cordial. We would only see them one more evening as they also ate at other locations.

The Monday menu was Saffron. I ordered shrimp cocktail again, as I would every night. Our assistant waiter automatically brought me fresh horseradish, too. That was a nice touch. I don't recall what my better half had, and had no pictures to reference!

For dinner I ordered the Premium Angus beef sliders. They were just fair. The meat was tough and the buns were retired hockey pucks. Dale, the male from the second couple, appeared to like my order and requested them as his second entree. Lunch was definitely better than dinner! Sorrento's, here we come later!

After dinner, we visited the Hoof and Claw pub. We had a couple take a couple of pictures for us. That just saved me $100!

IMG_20160321_193214.jpg

IMG_20160321_193226.jpg

I procured a Heineken and the misses had a strawberry daiquiri.

The Promenade was hopping, with formal pictures everywhere and a live band. It was quite enjoyable.

IMG_20160321_193612.jpg

IMG_20160321_193617.jpg

Do you know if you have to get tender tickets? We did for our Navigator cruise out of Galveston to Grand Cayman in 2014. There didn't seem to be much checking for numbers though. I had gotten up early and got tickets for the 1st general boarding tender, but I'm not sure it made a difference as I recall. Except as a rule follower I was able to get in line when our number was called. We did make our excursion with the same vendor though.

On the March 20th, 2016 Liberty sailing, there were no tender tickets for George Town. Suites, Pinnacle, and Royal excursions were called first. The tenders chartered at George Town are huge, and are lined up next to the ship. The process is a lot faster than it was 15 years in George Town.

Edited by M_BA
Tender tickets.

Wonderful review! We have also booked the 4/30/17 sailing. Looking forward to meeting you on board.

It's mutual! The 043017 sailing is already well booked, according to RCCL today.

That guitar player was amazing, as was the little reggae band!

Yes, he was. I don't recall his name. We heard him all over the ship during the week.

The reggae band was also good, it was much louder on the Promenade rather than deck 11!

Edited by M_BA
Typo...

Of all the food on the liberty, the MDR lunch was far and beyond the best. The most handy?? Sorrentos....nothing like a quick slice after a long port day.

We had several fourth and fifth meals at Sorrento's; very quick service!